How to replace the heater core on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

Okay, so why pay for a system evacuation of an empty system ?, couldn't I just do the core/evaporator replacement and then worry about AC if and when I actually want to fix the AC ? worse case is I get a brand new evaporator that doesn't get used ?

Okay, so why pay for a system evacuation of an empty system ?, couldn't I just do the core/evaporator replacement and then worry about AC if and when I actually want to fix the AC ? worse case is I get a brand new evaporator that doesn't get used ?

That's how I would do it and in fact did it. I just disconnected the lines, changed the parts then took it to an A/C shop for charging.

It went off without a hitch, everything worked as advertised. Just make sure that when you split the case to replace the parts that the blend door stays lined up or it will jam. After the case is put back together move the blend door by hand at the motor shaft to make sure it moves freely.

Bringing this back...

I have come to terms with tackling this job as I have a coolant/antifreeze smell every time I turn my defrost on. Also a vapor constantly lingers out of my vents, so these are classic signs of a bad heater core, correct?

I'm interested in replacing the HC before cold weather sets in and I was wondering if anyone knows of anything else I should be buying along with it to have on hand like gaskets, hoses, or weatherstripping foam? I've never done this before but plan on tackling this over a weekend casually.

Also, I don't seem to be having issues with my AC but should I just preempt the AC Evap Core as well?

Bringing this back...

I have come to terms with tackling this job as I have a coolant/antifreeze smell every time I turn my defrost on. Also a vapor constantly lingers out of my vents, so these are classic signs of a bad heater core, correct?

I'm interested in replacing the HC before cold weather sets in and I was wondering if anyone knows of anything else I should be buying along with it to have on hand like gaskets, hoses, or weatherstripping foam? I've never done this before but plan on tackling this over a weekend casually.

Also, I don't seem to be having issues with my AC but should I just preempt the AC Evap Core as well?

Yes, those symptoms you describe are all dead ringers for failing heater core. Happened to me on an older vehicle and I experience the same things until one day the heater core blew up on me in a drive thru and literally spit hot coolant all over my leg! That wasn't fun, let me tell you.

Honestly, it might make sense to replace the AC evaporator as well, since you're already in there. They don't fail all that often, but I'd hate to have to tear apart the dash to do it again. You'll have to evacuate and re-charge the AC system of course, if you decide to do that.

Other than that though, I don't think there's really anything back there that you need to change out while you're in there.

Reactions: EJD
Yes, those symptoms you describe are all dead ringers for failing heater core. Happened to me on an older vehicle and I experience the same things until one day the heater core blew up on me in a drive thru and literally spit hot coolant all over my leg! That wasn't fun, let me tell you.

Honestly, it might make sense to replace the AC evaporator as well, since you're already in there. They don't fail all that often, but I'd hate to have to tear apart the dash to do it again. You'll have to evacuate and re-charge the AC system of course, if you decide to do that.

Other than that though, I don't think there's really anything back there that you need to change out while you're in there.
Man, I didn't know HC's could blow up, sounds like it could have been bad!

I'm up in the air on the AC, as I think I will hardly use it up here...different story living in the south. Though I think I will have a shop evac the system, whats that cost usually?
I was actually just watching this on YouTube, lol. Thanks for posting it though!

Man, I didn't know HC's could blow up, sounds like it could have been bad!

I'm up in the air on the AC, as I think I will hardly use it up here...different story living in the south. Though I think I will have a shop evac the system, whats that cost usually?

I was actually just watching this on YouTube, lol. Thanks for posting it though!

Oh yeah, I don't think it's that common, but mine blew up! It was crazy when it happened, I still remember it almost 20 years later.

No idea what a shop costs to evac the system, I'm guessing probably $100 for an hour of labor (even though it take 10 minutes).

I never use my AC down here in Oregon, but I like knowing that it's working just for piece of mind.

Reactions: EJD
No, you have to pull the dash and steering column to change the heater core.

Might be in the right spot.

No you don't

13087538_10207283837148156_295952775245129054_n.jpg