How to replace the rear wiper motor on a 97-02 hardtop

patdugan

Supporting Member
The rear wiper motor on my 99 hardtop had been going bad since I purchased my TJ and I finally decided to replace it. The part number is 55155322AB, but when I went to look for a replacement I saw that Mopar had discontinued that part as well as the 55155322AC revision.

Rockauto offers a $154 rebuild service, but I was a little skeptical of both the price and the quality.

I realized that the rear wiper motor off the 95 Chevy Blazer is essentially the same part, just with a different electrical connector and different mounting hardware. Cardone offers a rebuilt version of that motor, part number 40-1005, and a new version, part number 85-1005 which is available on Amazon for about $45.

I purchased the rebuilt motor first and was really unimpressed with the quality of the rebuild, so I opted to go for the new version off Amazon and was impressed with how quiet and fast it it was vs the original failing motor.

In order to mount the new motor, you need to remove the two metal mounts off the original you're replacing, both are held on with a single torx screw.

The mount show to the right of the motor is used for the two right screws on the plastic cover that sits over top of the motor.
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 11.30.31 AM.png

The mount on the back slips over the rubber grommet on the end of the motor, and is what you use to screw the motor and snug it up against the glass.
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 11.30.40 AM.png

You're going to remove the included mounting hardware on the new motor you purchased, as well as remove the big plastic box the wiring is plugged into, and then reattach the two mount pieces you removed from your original Mopar motor.
61sYl+UXWNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The new replacement motor mounts onto the hardtop identically to the original.
Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 11.30.54 AM.png

The electrical on the replacement motor has two additional wires that were not present on the Mopar motor. I cut the electrical connection off the original motor and spliced it onto the wiring for the new one. The splicing colors are as follows:

Blue -> Blue
White -> White
Yellow -> Red + Yellow

There's a fifth gray wire that isn't used, so I cut it and taped it off with electrical tape. Once you plug the harness back in, your rear wiper switch up front should operate the motor exactly like it did with the original.

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 11.31.05 AM.png

Because the spline on the replacement motor is smaller than the original Mopar one, you'll either need to modify your original wiper arm or purchase a new one that fits. I opted to purchase a Dorman 42550 off Amazon for about $25, and I removed the attached washer hose since it's not needed. I also attached a new 14" wiper blade, the Rain-X 5079272-2.

The spline on the new motor also sits a bit further away from the glass than on the original motor, so I bought a couple of rubber washers from Lowes for 0.50 and used those to snug up the plastic locking nut on the outside of the glass.

Screen Shot 2021-12-23 at 11.31.23 AM.png

All in for the new motor, new wiper arm, and new wiper blade, was just over $80, still only about half of just the rebuild service through Rockauto. This only works if you have the original mounting hardware you can take off your old motor, but I was pretty happy with the final result and glad to have a quiet and operational wiper back.

Last edited:
@Chris saw you posted over in the sticky on the how-to thread to mention you. Let me know if you think this is OK to move over to the how-to section.

@Chris saw you posted over in the sticky on the how-to thread to mention you. Let me know if you think this is OK to move over to the how-to section.
Thanks for tagging me in this. I went ahead and moved it. This is a great thread that definitely belongs in the bow to guide section.

Good info.

I've struggled to find replacement motors for a couple of hardtops in the past but was able to snag a couple of used ones from eBay. Blazers are plentiful in the junkyards here

Nice write up. I’m curious as to what is different between 97-02 and 03-06 rear wiper motor? Is it just the mounting bracket and connector?
I know at a minimum the mounting brackets are different. The holes in the glass are spaced differently, and the screws on the plastic cover for the motor assembly are also spaced differently.

Great write up. I am in the middle of this swap right now and I purchased the exact part numbers you have listed. What rubber washers did you use on the inside and outside of the wiper shaft? The replacement motor shaft is longer than factory and the oem interior side pieces have a smaller diameter and won’t fit the new motor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I don't have the part number on the washers, but I purchased a few oversize rubber washers from Lowes and then cut them to the exact dimensions I needed with an x-acto knife. I seated them on the exterior of the glass and then snugged them down with the same plastic nut that came off the original motor. Still haven't had any issues with water finding its way inside.

Lowes sells a rubber washer assortment pack but it's probably worth going in person to size them up and buying only as many as you need.

I don't have the part number on the washers, but I purchased a few oversize rubber washers from Lowes and then cut them to the exact dimensions I needed with an x-acto knife. I seated them on the exterior of the glass and then snugged them down with the same plastic nut that came off the original motor. Still haven't had any issues with water finding its way inside.

Lowes sells a rubber washer assortment pack but it's probably worth going in person to size them up and buying only as many as you need.

Ok, thanks. I appreciate the response.

The rear wiper motor on my 99 hardtop had been going bad since I purchased my TJ and I finally decided to replace it. The part number is 55155322AB, but when I went to look for a replacement I saw that Mopar had discontinued that part as well as the 55155322AC revision.

Rockauto offers a $154 rebuild service, but I was a little skeptical of both the price and the quality.

I realized that the rear wiper motor off the 95 Chevy Blazer is essentially the same part, just with a different electrical connector and different mounting hardware. Cardone offers a rebuilt version of that motor, part number 40-1005, and a new version, part number 85-1005 which is available on Amazon for about $45.

I purchased the rebuilt motor first and was really unimpressed with the quality of the rebuild, so I opted to go for the new version off Amazon and was impressed with how quiet and fast it it was vs the original failing motor.

In order to mount the new motor, you need to remove the two metal mounts off the original you're replacing, both are held on with a single torx screw.

The mount show to the right of the motor is used for the two right screws on the plastic cover that sits over top of the motor.
View attachment 298063

The mount on the back slips over the rubber grommet on the end of the motor, and is what you use to screw the motor and snug it up against the glass.
View attachment 298064

You're going to remove the included mounting hardware on the new motor you purchased, as well as remove the big plastic box the wiring is plugged into, and then reattach the two mount pieces you removed from your original Mopar motor.
View attachment 298070

The new replacement motor mounts onto the hardtop identically to the original.
View attachment 298068

The electrical on the replacement motor has two additional wires that were not present on the Mopar motor. I cut the electrical connection off the original motor and spliced it onto the wiring for the new one. The splicing colors are as follows:

Blue -> Blue
White -> White
Yellow -> Red + Yellow

There's a fifth gray wire that isn't used, so I cut it and taped it off with electrical tape. Once you plug the harness back in, your rear wiper switch up front should operate the motor exactly like it did with the original.

View attachment 298069

Because the spline on the replacement motor is smaller than the original Mopar one, you'll either need to modify your original wiper arm or purchase a new one that fits. I opted to purchase a Dorman 42550 off Amazon for about $25, and I removed the attached washer hose since it's not needed. I also attached a new 14" wiper blade, the Rain-X 5079272-2.

The spline on the new motor also sits a bit further away from the glass than on the original motor, so I bought a couple of rubber washers from Lowes for 0.50 and used those to snug up the plastic locking nut on the outside of the glass.

View attachment 298071

All in for the new motor, new wiper arm, and new wiper blade, was just over $80, still only about half of just the rebuild service through Rockauto. This only works if you have the original mounting hardware you can take off your old motor, but I was pretty happy with the final result and glad to have a quiet and operational wiper back.

Thank you Pat and @Chris for this. April 2023 here and this was still a good solution. Many places list the rebuild version on their sites, but it is not available when you try to get it. The only additional tasks I had was with the original window bracket. The blazer motor had both mounting holes, but I had to tap threads into one of them. I also had to grind the tab that reaches to the other side. THANK YOU GUYS!

Reactions: Chris