1. Want to have your TJ featured as the November 2018 "Ride of the Month"? The winner will receive a $200 gift card from Metalcloak! Click here to submit a photo of your TJ. Submissions are accepted until October 20th!
    Dismiss Notice

How to rotate tires after adding new tire to old rotation?

Discussion in 'TJ Wheels & Tires' started by EJD, Oct 11, 2018.

1. EJD

EJD TJ Overlander
    Supporting Member Ride of the Month Winner

Hope that title made sense to someone, but in a nutshell I have recently punctured an inner sidewall while baja-ing through some rocky terrain and have just got the new tire in the mail today.

I'm wondering since I was previously doing a 5 tire rotation, do just put the new tire in the place of the punctured one and continue on as usual?...or since I have the "spare" tire now in the "front passenger" spot, which technically messes up my rotation pattern, should I just mount the "new" tire to the spare location on the back and switch to a 4 tire rotation? or is there a whole other protocol to follow when this sort of thing happens?

The tires are KO2's and they have around or less that 10k miles on them if that makes a difference.

Whats the consensus?

2. Boinked

Boinked TJ Addict

I would just do a 4 tire rotation. Throw the new on the spare. Once you need new tires go back to a 5 tire rotation.

If for some reason you puncture another tire then you can go to a 4 tire rotation with two new tires to old tires.

That's what I would do

EJD likes this.
  3. ohiopatriot

ohiopatriot TJ Enthusiast

Probably 4 tire rotation. Keep new for spare. Depends on tread depth really. Many tire shops can "shave" or match a tire for you .

It may "age" out before you replace the others and get the service life out of them unless you put alot of miles on a DD.

fuse and EJD like this.
  4. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

I agree with the above. Only way I would do a 5 tire rotation would be if all 5 tires were brand new at once.

EJD likes this.