How to Route Spark Plug Wires

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
Was reading my FSM and noticed the line in the attached screenshot.

Screen Shot 2022-08-26 at 5.39.16 PM.jpg

My main reason for replacing my plug wires is to reduce interference with my radio.

Anyone know what it means by routing them "correctly" and securing them in the "proper" retainers?

Last edited:
Cant say Ive experianced wires making RF issues but im no expert. Non resistor plugs , yes. Personally I dislike the cut to size wires so Id always og with quality oem or better with correct lenght not 3' long each where you have a wad of crap wrapped around and laying on the engine. I can say the dodge V10 is very pissy about wire routing so much so there was a TSB on it. Only rule of thumb Ive read is not to run them zip tied to each other lenght wise,use wire seperators to prevent arching. Thats all I got anyhow.

Have you seen the zip tie plug wire holder they make on the Roadkill series on Motor Trend? Wish I had wires to make these instead of a coil rail!

Reactions: BlueC
you can use one zip tie and old vacuum line/hose between each wire as separators also. Place the hose/line between each wire and then route the zip tie around the wire but through the hose/line. This lets you separate the wires farther apart than the width of a zip tie if that is needed

Reactions: SSTJ and ColoJeep
Cant say Ive experianced wires making RF issues but im no expert. Non resistor plugs , yes. Personally I dislike the cut to size wires so Id always og with quality oem or better with correct lenght not 3' long each where you have a wad of crap wrapped around and laying on the engine. I can say the dodge V10 is very pissy about wire routing so much so there was a TSB on it. Only rule of thumb Ive read is not to run them zip tied to each other lenght wise,use wire seperators to prevent arching. Thats all I got anyhow.

Thanks. Yes, I ordered OEM wires. Ok, I'll look up separators.

Do the viper coil mod,works good
Thread just got fun.
My main reason for replacing my plug wires is to reduce interference with my radio.

Anyone know what it means by routing them "correctly" and securing them in the "proper" retainers?
My opinion is that new wires wont arc and their routing doesn't matter. I've always checked for arcing at night. Spray the wires with a spray bottle filled with water in the dark and you'll see where the wires are arcing. Sometimes you can see the arcing without the water.

• Wow
Reactions: hear and Moglocker
Thread just got fun.

My opinion is that new wires wont arc and their routing doesn't matter. I've always checked for arcing at night. Spray the wires with a spray bottle filled with water in the dark and you'll see where the wires are arcing. Sometimes you can see the arcing without the water.
I know I probably should have kept the coil rail,already gave it away!

Yep,3 radiators,2 racks-but original compressor,original fuel pump,and engine and trans

Radiators always smell of coolant. Racks common, front brakes every other oil change and symptom of broken strut plate "wiper arm rattles on bumps" it was great

Reactions: Moglocker