How to run a drive cycle in your garage to pass Texas emissions

TexasTJ2004

I love my TJ
Supporting Member
I have been rebuilding a salvage title TJ 2004, and the problem that I have faced is how to pass safety inspection. The issue is like Catch 22 - in order to pass safety inspection and be able to drive, one needs to be able to drive through a drive cycle, so that the computer will run all the monitors to completion.
I researched the web and found the drive cycle documenation and also the description for drive cycle for each monitor in factory manual (2003-2004 4.0 models).
The idea was to place the TJ on 4 jack stands and run the drive cycle in the garage, so that it will cost 0$ to clear the monitors.

Here in Texas, one can have 1 monitor incomplete and pass inspection. Read more here - https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/vehicle-inspection/faq/ready-or-not

By default, after you connect the battery back, you get 4 monitors in not ready state (Monitor Incomplete). These monitors are:
1. Evap sensor
2. Catalyst sensor
3. O2 Heater sensor
4. O2 sensor
After some trials, i was able to bring to ready state 3 monitors (EVAP, 02 heater and O2). I have verified these by disconnecting the battery again, and then doing the process again, so that i dont miss any details.

The setup was TJ 2004 4.0 Auto (No ABS model) on 4 jack stands (2 under front axle, 2 under rear).
- Initially I had the rear jack stands under the rear frame section, but then i found out that the rear axle (Dana 35 in my case) drops too much, and it creates significant vibration when speedometer was around 35MPH - so put the rear jack stands under the axle.
- Some people install jack stands only in the rear, keeping front wheels on the ground. I disagree with this approach, as it completely unsafe. One puts the transfer case into the 4WD by a mistake, and then he gets a disaster.

The precise operation to clear each sensor is below (No check engine lights when the engine is running is a must - if you have check engine light, then the below is not supposed to work, but i did not try). The sequence below is how i have cleared the monitors - first 02 heater, then Evap, then O2 sensor.

a. 02 heater - does not need any driving at all. The vehicle does not need to be on jack stands. No check engine lights when the engine is running.
From the factory manual - this monitor requires a cold start, usually an overnight soak or parked for at least 8 hours without the engine running. The engine coolant temperature must be within 10 degrees of ambient/battery temperature, and the sensed Ambient (outside) Temperature must be be- tween approximately 0° F and 100° F.
The procedure that i followed:
1. Make sure the gas tank is slightly under 75% full and slighly above 50% full. It possible that it will work fine with other gas tank levels, but i did not experiment with them.
2. Let the vehicle cool down for at least 10 hours, so that the engine temperatures will get into the 10 degree delta from the ambient air temperature.
3. Make sure that the ambient air temperature is under 90 degrees (which is not a problem even here in Texas). It is possible that it will run with higher temperatures, but i did not try it.
4. Start the engine in when transmission in Park, and just idle for 5 minutes. Keep AC, lights and everything else off. Don't use steering wheel as well.
5. Shut the engine, remove the key.
6. Leave it it alone for 20 minutes
7. Come back and run the scan with scan tool, and verify that the monitor is ready.

b. Evap sensor - does not need any driving at all. The vehicle does not need to be on jack stands. Extremely sensitive to air temperature, so if you are in Texas in the summer, you have a problem. Mine is equipped with Leak detection Pump, so it is applicable for it.
From the factory manual:
Page 4 in general information section - This monitor requires a cold start, usually an overnight soak or parked for at least 8 hours without the engine running. The engine coolant temperature must be within 10 degrees of ambient/battery temperature, and the sensed Ambient (outside) Temperature must be be- tween approximately 40° F and 90° F.
Page 7 in general information section- Conditions on Evap monitor running - Cold start: with ambient temperature (obtained from modeling the inlet air temperature sensor on passenger vehicles and the battery temperature sensor on Jeep & truck vehicles) between 4°C (40°F) and 32°C (90°F) for 0.040 leak. Be- tween 4°C (40°F) and 29°C (85°F) for 0.020 leak. Engine coolant temperature within: -12° to -8°C (10° to 18°F) of battery/ambient. Battery voltage between 10 and 15 volts. If battery voltage drops below 10 volts for more than 5 seconds during engine cranking, the EVAP leak detection test will not run. Low fuel warning light off (fuel level must be between 15% and 85%). MAP sensor reading 22 in Hg or above (This is the manifold absolute pressure, not vacuum). No engine stall during test.

The procedure:
1. Make sure the gas tank is slightly under 75% full and slighly above 50% full. It possible that it will work fine with other gas tank levels, but i did not experiment with them.
2. Let the vehicle cool down for at least 10 hours, so that the engine temperatures will get into the 10 degree delta from the ambient air temperature.
3. Make sure that the ambient air temperature is around 75 degrees (which is a problem here in Texas in summer). It is possible that it will run with higher temperatures, but it did not work well for me. I had to put it outside of the garage, and wait 3-4 days till the air temperature was low enough at around 1AM (reached 75 degrees). I tried it every night, and it failed, till the coldest (I mean like Texas coldest) night with 75 degree at 1AM, where it worked. It is possible that the upper thermal boundary depends on tear and wear on the system, so it might work for you at 85C as well, if it is in much better shape.
4. Start the engine in when transmission in Park, and just idle for 5 minutes. Keep AC, lights and everything else off. Don't use steering wheel as well.
5. Shut the engine, remove the key.
6. Leave it it alone for 20 minutes
7. Come back and run the scan with scan tool, and verify that the monitor is ready.

Notes - i have found this while searching the web. - https://img.neons.org/AGN/chrysler_drive_cycle.pdf. It states that the vehicle needs to be driven to run the evap, which i think that contradicts the factory manual, and my own experience. No need for driving for this one.

c. O2 Sensor - Needs driving, so 4 jack stands are must. Does not seem like it is sensitive to air temperature, as i did it in my garage when it was really hot.
From the factory manual - The vehicle will need to be driven for a period of time and brought to a stop for a short period of time with the Automatic Transmission left in Drive. The O2S Monitor will not run in Park or Neutral on an Automatic Transmission equipped vehicle.

The procedure:
3. Temperature of air - it does not seem like it matters. I was running inside my garage, with open garage door, and it was really hot, like 95+ degree hot.
4. Start the engine in when transmission in Park, and just idle for 5 minutes. Keep AC, lights and everything else off. Don't use steering wheel as well. Shut down the overdrive before starting the engine, as it will be hard to keep the precise speeds with overdive on.
5. Press the brakes, put into Drive, and accelerate to ~ 30MPH. Stay at that speed around 2 minutes. Dont use cruise control.
6. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Keep transmission in drive and idle for 30 seconds.
7. Smoothly accelerate to a speed around 35MPH. Stay there for 2 minutes.
8. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Keep transmission in drive and idle for 30 seconds. Dont use cruise control.
9. Smoothly accelerate to a speed around 35MPH. Stay there for 2 minutes.
10. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Keep transmission in drive and idle for 30 seconds. Dont use cruise control.
11. Smoothly accelerate to a speed around 35MPH. Stay there for 2 minutes.
12. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Keep transmission in drive and idle for 30 seconds. Dont use cruise control
13. Smoothly accelerate to a speed around 35MPH. Stay there for 2 minutes.
14. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Keep transmission in drive and idle for 30 seconds. Dont use cruise control.
15. Smoothly accelerate to a speed around 35MPH. Stay there for 2 minutes.
16. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Put transmission into park.
17. Shut down the engine, remove the key.
18. Leave it it alone for 20 minutes
19. Come back and run the scan with scan tool, and verify that the monitor is ready.

I have followed through the process described above, at least couple of times, to make sure that all is correct.

My problem is that i not able to figure out how to cause the Catalyst monitor to clear. If anyone knows, please (really asking as I want to know), please reply here.
I hope this information will be useful for fellow Jeepers.

Follow up on Catalyst monitor.
So after i have finished the O2 sensor driver cycle as list above. I have reached a point where i had only one monitor not ready, and it was the catalyst.
From the moment that i have finished my work on O2 sensor drive cycle, i have started the engine just couple of times, and maybe put into drive to test the brakes (all this while TJ is still on the 4 jacks). I decided to check thje monitors again yesterday, and suddenly i see that Catalyst monitor is cleared as well.
Seems like after i was done with O2 sensor, it just took couple of cold starts and maybe putting into drive to test brakes that cleared the catalyst.

• USA Proud
Reactions: Kid Mechanic
I would have just driven it. I live in an emissions county in north Texas and I still have my 2019 stickers on everything. I have the new ones just haven't gotten around to changing them. The cops don't check.

I wouldn't have hesitated to drive it, and on the off chance you get pulled over, explain that you needed to drive cycle to prepare to pass inspection. Hopefully you get a reasonable policeofficerman.

But getting pulled over for a sticker is a little hard — if you run a front plate (as law requires), then the po-po can see you're from TX and that your inspection sticker is either missing or out of date. But if you thumb your nose at the law and don't run a front plate, then an oncoming cop can't know if you're from TX or not, so removing the sticker as well means he can't know if your vehicle is even supposed to be inspected, much less wither or not it is passed and in-date. Now if you get pulled over for something else, the inspection is an easy tack-on fine, which is really all that sticker is for anyway; to generate revenue.

My inspection sticker says Feb 2020. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Next February I'll be in the clear for emissions testing.

Seems like it would be a heck of a lot easier to just take it for a drive and risk getting stopped. Back roads, low traffic times, for about 10 minutes is all you'd need.
it's much easier and quicker to complete the drive cycle with the rear on jack stands in the driveway than it is to hit all of the parameters on the street

I think that i need to explain my situation: my jeep currently have salvage title. It would be a violation of state law to drive it w/o having a rebuilt salvage title provided. It is not that i have a rebuilt or clean title with expired registration. In that case, it would be less of problem, as the vehicle would be considered roadworthy (technically), and it would be a driving with expired registration - which is much less of a problem. TJ w/o license plates and expired sticker would scream "pull me over" to any cop that is not blind.
I never got a traffic ticket throughout my entire life and i am hitting 42 this October (warnings on not working lights do not count), and have no plans to change this situation. My goal was to do it legally.
Also, i heard stories of people driving 300 miles and not getting the monitors ready.

You should be able to get a temporary 30 day permit from TxDMV. I just passed inspection yesterday. I disconnected the battery on Sunday and all the monitors were ready by Tuesday night having only driven it to work those two days. Roughly 25 miles each way, so about 100 miles.

Hi @rhanna,
I have considered this one as well. However, drive cycle for O2 sensor with Automatic gearbox, requires the stage where where you are in drive, engine is running and gearbox in drive and actual speed is 0. I did not find a way how to achieve it w/o working brakes. There is no transfer case break in TJ:).

You should be able to get a temporary 30 day permit from TxDMV. I just passed inspection yesterday. I disconnected the battery on Sunday and all the monitors were ready by Tuesday night having only driven it to work those two days. Roughly 25 miles each way, so about 100 miles.
I have checked this option as well. It appears that in Texas, if your vehicle has salvage title (not rebuilt salvage, but actual salvage title), and you do not have state inspection passed, DMV does not issue temporary permits. According to TxDMV, if you are rebuilding a salvage, there is no way to drive it on public road until the salvage title is replaced with "rebuilt salvage title".

c. O2 Sensor - Needs driving, so 4 jack stands are must. Does not seem like it is sensitive to air temperature, as i did it in my garage when it was really hot.
From the factory manual - The vehicle will need to be driven for a period of time and brought to a stop for a short period of time with the Automatic Transmission left in Drive. The O2S Monitor will not run in Park or Neutral on an Automatic Transmission equipped vehicle.

The procedure:
3. Temperature of air - it does not seem like it matters. I was running inside my garage, with open garage door, and it was really hot, like 95+ degree hot.
4. Start the engine in when transmission in Park, and just idle for 5 minutes. Keep AC, lights and everything else off. Don't use steering wheel as well. Shut down the overdrive before starting the engine, as it will be hard to keep the precise speeds with overdive on.
5. Press the brakes, put into Drive, and accelerate to ~ 30MPH. Stay at that speed around 2 minutes. Dont use cruise control.
6. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Keep transmission in drive and idle for 30 seconds.
7. Smoothly accelerate to a speed around 35MPH. Stay there for 2 minutes.
8. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Keep transmission in drive and idle for 30 seconds. Dont use cruise control.
9. Smoothly accelerate to a speed around 35MPH. Stay there for 2 minutes.
10. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Keep transmission in drive and idle for 30 seconds. Dont use cruise control.
11. Smoothly accelerate to a speed around 35MPH. Stay there for 2 minutes.
12. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Keep transmission in drive and idle for 30 seconds. Dont use cruise control
13. Smoothly accelerate to a speed around 35MPH. Stay there for 2 minutes.
14. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Keep transmission in drive and idle for 30 seconds. Dont use cruise control.
15. Smoothly accelerate to a speed around 35MPH. Stay there for 2 minutes.
16. Release the gas pedal, and slowly brake to 0MPH. Put transmission into park.
17. Shut down the engine, remove the key.
18. Leave it it alone for 20 minutes
19. Come back and run the scan with scan tool, and verify that the monitor is ready.

I followed the O2 sensor procedure on jacks stands in my garage, to the letter. Unfortunately after waiting 20 minutes it is still reporting as O2S monitor is incomplete. Bummer. I will drive it around for a bit. Maybe there is a difference in procedure between 2004 and 2005/2006 with the change in PCM?

Andy

I followed the O2 sensor procedure on jacks stands in my garage, to the letter. Unfortunately after waiting 20 minutes it is still reporting as O2S monitor is incomplete. Bummer. I will drive it around for a bit. Maybe there is a difference in procedure between 2004 and 2005/2006 with the change in PCM?

Andy

It could be. The reason why I could not drive around was that I was rebuilding from salvage, so it is not possible to drive in Texas w/o rebuilt title.
Which monitors you have incomplete in addition?

2005 and 2006 have completely different issue with them:
https://www.tsbsearch.com/Jeep/25-005-13-REV-A
There is a design problem with 02 sensors or something. I suggest you read this one, as sometimes it is not possible to get the O2 sensors to pass in the 2005/2006

Reactions: AndyA

Andy

Also, did you follow this sequence:
The sequence below is how i have cleared the monitors - first 02 heater, then Evap, then O2 sensor.

Reactions: AndyA
Thanks. I did the TSB yesterday. I got the PCM to say it is ready for testing by taking it for a 30 minute in-town drive. It was completely cold when before I moved it into the garage for the test.

Andy