How to search Craigslist nationwide

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
If your searching CL for parts or Jeeps, you should be searching it nationwide/regionally. And when I say "regionally" I mean several states. Not just one area close by you.

To do that look into Search Tempest (it's a website www.searchtempest.com ). It searches CL across the entire country. And gives you a few state regional results. Like it will not give you a list of all the "jeep doors" in the nation at once. But it breaks it down into say a dozen or so regions. Like WA, OR, ID for example will be one region and one set of search results.

Which still makes it WAY easier to search for items nationwide. Than pulling up every city and or outlying area for doors or whatever you're looking for and doing hundreds of searches that way. This helps searching for Jeeps and Jeep parts big time. Especially with Jeeps, if you're comfortable with a local inspection and having it transported to you. With about 12 clicks you can see all the jeeps for sale in the US on CL. Broken down by whatever perimeters you want. I often get my regional search result. And then select "6 cyl" and maybe "auto" for transmission type on the actual CL page it takes you too. That way you're only seeing 6 cyl jeeps with a auto transmission. Or maybe you want to see all Jeeps or a certian part within a certain price range. You can do that too. Just by selecting the proper filter to the left.

That's my big secret. Search Tempest. Check it out. It will change your life if you avidly look for jeeps or parts on CL.

Not sure this will work. But here's a sample page of a search I did for doors.

https://www.searchtempest.com/search?search_string=jeep wrangler doors&category=8&subcat=sss&hasPic=&srchType=&minAsk=&maxAsk=&cityselect=zip&location=90245&maxDist=50000&region_us=1&region_can=1&region_mex=1&Region=combined&addCities=&subCities=&q=jeep+wrangler+doors++"for+sale"

Here's a screenshot. It works just like any other search engine. It just breaks the results down by region in the US. You can see those regions in your search results. It's usually a region of a population center. But almost always includes 2 or more states. Each time you click on a regional search results below. It opens those up in a classic CL window that you can navigate just like normal. With about 12 clicks you can see the results of your search across the entire nation. Or if nothing else you can search your area and those around you with one click. Like if you live in Socal you can see the first search result also covers the major population centers around Socal like Las Vegas and parts of NV.

Another added tidbit. Is you can also use "saved searches" in CL. That way they will email you of any new search results in your saved searches. For instance if you search "jeep doors", and save that search, it will email you of any new results as soon as they are posted or close enough. AFter that make your email tell you whenever a new search result is posted. By doing this:

You can set up your gmail (if you have it. and probably other email platforms too.) to give you a number of new emails, an on screen notification and a sound alarm every time a new email comes to your CL saved searches email. That way with a quick glance at your email tab in your browser you can see or hear if a new email has hit. Sometimes these deals are gone within moments.

It's best to open a new gmail account when you do this. And open every email that comes in. That way you get a fresh number of new emails on your gmail tab in your browser. Otherwise it maxes out at 999+. And is no help to you. If you set up a new account. LEave your computer. And come back to it. All you have to do is glance at your gmail tab for that one email address. And see if it has a new number on it. That lets you know a new search result came in.

It might sound like a lot. But this sets up in a matter of 10 minutes or so. And you'll get every search result as soon as it gets posted.

Note this last section is for local searches only. And won't work with nationwide or regional searches. Although you might be able to save a search in Search Tempest. I have not tried doing that yet.