How to set your bump stop on a Jeep Wrangler TJ

UnlimitedLJ04

So do the front or the rear seperately. Keep in mind you need a floor jack that can travel at least 10-12" (that was a big issue for me for a while) you can crib the rest with wood blocks. you'll also need four 6-ton jackstands, and two 2/3-ton'ers would help, but not required.

1. Remove the shocks - fully compress them and measure the length from eye to eye, or base of the stud to eye.
2. pull the springs from both sides.
3. Now set the shocks back in, connecting them at the top, disconnected at the bottom.
4. You should have unhooked the axle side of the track bar to pull the springs, but here you can leave it unhooked. We'll be playing the interference game (with your stock bar you won't have any problems)
5. Pull the jounce bumper out (rubber bumpstop thing inside the cup)
6. Now jack the axle up (or lower the frame) SLOWLY.
7. You should get something that looks like this:​

PICT0070-1.jpg

8. Watch for the shocks bottoming out...in other words the Jeep starts lifting, or you start compressing the bushing at the top of the shocks. You should measure your shocks fully compressed length before hand so you know what you're dealing with. 13.5" shocks will fit inside the stock compression location, 14.5" will require 1" bumpstop extension, 15.5" will require 2", and so forth.
8. Now once you get the bumpstop cup setting on the axle pad, slide a tire on if you can. Make sure you've supported the axle with jack stands for safety here. You can hold the tire on by hand, or use two lug nuts hand threaded on. You'll notice very soon if you'll clear or not. This is where removing the flares is helpful.
9. If you couldn't get the bumpstop cup down all the way because the shocks were too long, then you need to measure the distance from the bumpstop cup to the spring pad, as you just back off the shocks about 1/4". Thats how much bumpstop extension you need FOR SHOCKS ONLY.
10. If you don't clear the tire fit test, measure from the hub center to the sheet metal in a vertical fashion (you'll need to eye ball this a bit because the axle is a bit wider than the tub).
11. Now, move the axle down until you can fit the tire size you want. When you can just barely slide the tire on, and clear the steel fender lip, measure the distance to the bumpstop cup and the spring pad. Thats the minimum bumpstop extension you need FOR TIRES.
12. Now while you're doing all this you need to keep checking for track bar interferences. Will the track bar hit the diff cover? Will the track bar hit the tie-rod? Since its disconnected, its an easy check by lifting it up and position it in the mounting location. You can slide a bolt in if you like, or just hold it there by hand and check, or even zip tie or duct tape it. While you're moving the axle, the distance between the mounting points is changing, so don't freak out if you can't get the bolt in.​

Typically you want the bumpstop needed for SHOCKS ONLY to determine your TIRE requirement. Then you basically get the longest travel use out of your shocks. Generally speaking, its better to get more shock travel, aka more uptravel and downtravel, and run smaller tires than it is to run those same shocks and lots of bumpstop in order to run larger tires. With the latter idea, you're limiting your uptravel

I give you a general idea of what you're looking for with 33" tires and 3" lift.
  • Based on TIRE SIZE ONLY - the require bumpstop will be about 2-2.5" without a BL. With a BL, that will be 1-1.5".
  • Based on SHOCK LENGTH ONLY - a collapsed length of 15.5" will require 2" bumpstop, 14.5" will be 1", and 13.5" will be no addition bumpstop extension.
  • Everything i've said has been for the front. for the rear, the general rule of thumb is to add 1" to the bumpstop extension you determined in the front. thats a good starting point as a guide.
  • When testing the rear axle, make sure to mount the tire up at full compression - look for clearance issues in the BACK of the fenderwell. 35s will rub on stock length control arms, 33's may too, or they may be stupid close.
  • Don't throw the giant 2.5" bumpstops you have away. Find out how much you need based on what i've listed, then cut it down if you need less. Slap it in a vice and use a wood saw/band saw to cut it down. Save the scrap piece and use it later if you need additional bumpstop. Or use it as a bumpstop extensionfor the rear if its thick enough.

for the front:
springtech.jpg

This is a budget boost for the rear, but the bumpstop extension shows where the spring compresses:

RE-04.jpg

Bumpstop extensions for the front should always go on the axle pad, extensions for the rear should always go on top.

Another cool fact worth taking note of is that 1" of body lift means you need 1" less bumpstop to fit the same tire size that would require 2". So there is definitely an advantage to a small body lift!

And for reference:

spring.jpg

Hey @Chris, so maybe I did a huge no-no, but I put on my 2" BB spacer and sunk my bump stop cup into the spacer, I see yours is on top of the space. Did I do that incorrectly? OOPS. also, Couldnt I just assume I need a 2" longer bump stop since I added the 2" of spacer? Thanks for clearing this up.

Hey Chris, so maybe I did a huge no-no, but I put on my 2" BB spacer and sunk my bump stop cup into the spacer, I see yours is on top of the space. Did I do that incorrectly? OOPS. also, Couldnt I just assume I need a 2" longer bump stop since I added the 2" of spacer? Thanks for clearing this up.

Any chance you have a photo, just so I can be 100% sure I am understanding what you're saying?

Unfortunately with bump stop you can never assume. I tried that when I first got into Jeeps and I assumed I had the math right, but when I went to "cycle" the suspension, it turned out I didn't have as much bump stop as I needed (I was off by about 1/4 inch).

It's always best to cycle the suspension and make sure your bump stop is 100% accurate. That way you don't get things like track bars binding up, among other things.

Any chance you have a photo, just so I can be 100% sure I am understanding what you're saying?

Unfortunately with bump stop you can never assume. I tried that when I first got into Jeeps and I assumed I had the math right, but when I went to "cycle" the suspension, it turned out I didn't have as much bump stop as I needed (I was off by about 1/4 inch).

It's always best to cycle the suspension and make sure your bump stop is 100% accurate. That way you don't get things like track bars binding up, among other things.

I will post a picture tomorrow when it's light out. Maybe I should wait to get the proper bump stops until I get my final lift? I'm not planning on any hard wheeling until then anyway however I know bumpstops help with coil bind. Any easier solution to take out coils besides a spring compressor? They are so tedious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will post a picture tomorrow when it's light out. Maybe I should wait to get the proper bump stops until I get my final lift? I'm not planning on any hard wheeling until then anyway however I know bumpstops help with coil bind. Any easier solution to take out coils besides a spring compressor? They are so tedious

I would wait for sure, that's a good idea and it will save you double the grief.

Don't use spring compressors, that's the biggest nightmare ever when trying to take out the springs.

The easiest way to do this (and trust me, I've done it many, many times) is to unbolt the steering tie rod (steering), unbolt the track bar, remove the calipers from the rotors, and then unbolt the front driveshaft from the pinion yoke.

Once you do that (assuming the Jeep is on jack stands), the front axle will fall down and the springs will easily come right out without any compression at all. Doing it this way is typically the preferred method, as spring compressors are a royal PITA if you ask me.

I would wait for sure, that's a good idea and it will save you double the grief.

Don't use spring compressors, that's the biggest nightmare ever when trying to take out the springs.

The easiest way to do this (and trust me, I've done it many, many times) is to unbolt the steering tie rod (steering), unbolt the track bar, remove the calipers from the rotors, and then unbolt the front driveshaft from the pinion yoke.

Once you do that (assuming the Jeep is on jack stands), the front axle will fall down and the springs will easily come right out without any compression at all. Doing it this way is typically the preferred method, as spring compressors are a royal PITA if you ask me.

Are you sheeeting me? That's all you have to do?

To replace my bumpstops, I had to squeeze out my old and then squeeze in my new ones through the gaps in my springs (while trying to make my spring compressors work like how we all want them to).

Reactions: dylansalrin

Go ahead and get them now and keep them at their longest length (if you get the "cut and adjust" type bump stops) for when you get that bigger lift!

May I ask what lift you are wanting to get?

After I got my lift, I realized that you had to add so many modifications to your Jeep to make it work right. If you go above 2" you are going to start to have issues!

Go ahead and get them now and keep them at their longest length (if you get the "cut and adjust" type bump stops) for when you get that bigger lift!

May I ask what lift you are wanting to get?

After I got my lift, I realized that you had to add so many modifications to your Jeep to make it work right. If you go above 2" you are going to start to have issues!

I don't want to sound like a newb here but I just want a lift I can be comfortable with on a trial in say... Alaska. Mild rock, mostly mud and brush. I don't need insane articulation but enough to get past what's in front. Not looking to win any flex comps at Moab or anything.. I don't want to get carried away with a 6" or anything so I was thinking possibly a 3.5. I have a 1.25" BL sitting in my garage with the MML so maybe I just get a decent 2.5" lift and add my BL? Just don't know I guess. DO NOT want to keep my BB though.

I don't want to sound like a newb here but I just want a lift I can be comfortable with on a trial in say... Alaska. Mild rock, mostly mud and brush. I don't need insane articulation but enough to get past what's in front. Not looking to win any flex comps at Moab or anything.. I don't want to get carried away with a 6" or anything so I was thinking possibly a 3.5. I have a 1.25" BL sitting in my garage with the MML so maybe I just get a decent 2.5" lift and add my BL? Just don't know I guess. DO NOT want to keep my BB though.

I have 33x10.5s and the small underpowered 2.4l so I won't be going bigger. I have a regear on the list though.

You are certainly on the right track, a BB is decent but a coil lift is much better (I am a complete newb too, learning as I go)!

I also have the exact same expectations for my Jeep as you do yours. I just wanted to have a decently trail ready TJ that can off-road, but will not overly modify the factory specs and keep the costs and complication to a minimum.

Once you go past 2" of lift, you start to go down a rabbit hole (you'll need an SYE driveshaft, longer control arms, adjustable track bars, and possible stick shift linkage issues [if you have a manual]). Hopefully Chris or Jerry will chime in and clarify better why a bigger lift is more complicated.

I have a simple 2" coil lift (2" coils, and 2" shocks) with a 1.25" body lift, a 1" motor mount lift, a leveling kit, extended front brake lines, extended bump stops, 33" tires, and that is it! (my profile picture shows exactly how my Jeep sits with that setup)

In case that is a setup you may be interested in?

Also, re-gearing is an expensive expenditure - you'll have to re-gear your front and back axles - in which case you won't get that noticeable of a difference out of it anyway!

It may be cheaper to just source two used axles with the gears that you want and change them out yourself! But, that is only if you are really hell bent on re-gearing; what gears do you have?

In case that is a setup you may be interested in?

Yea that sounds about right! Hell I would like to stick with the shocks I have now and just get 2" coils. I have been thinking about the setup you have and if it would mess with my already low power. Yea I have a stick. Also why did you have to get brake lines? Were they that stretched after the body lift?

Yea that sounds about right! Hell I would like to stick with the shocks I have now and just get 2" coils. I have been thinking about the setup you have and if it would mess with my already low power. Yea I have a stick. Also why did you have to get brake lines? Were they that stretched after the body lift?

Did your BB come with extended shocks?

If it did come with 2" longer shocks, then yes you easily could get 2" coils and just slap them in there!

I'd recommend though to as well install longer bump-stops, to avoid bottoming out your shocks when you are stuffing your tires into your wheel wells.

And I compared my stock brake lines to my extended ones, and if you ONLY had a 2" lift then they may work just fine! However, I basically have a 3.75" lift on the front of my Jeep (My bumper and winch sagged the front of my Jeep, so I installed 1.75" spacers only on the front to level out my Jeep. 2" coils + 1.75" spacers). When I had my wheels at full turn, the stock brake lines stretched a little, and that was enough of an excuse for me to get longer brake lines!

Which, in case you ever do change out your front brake lines, you can use YJ brake lines. They are MUCH cheaper than aftermarket extended brake lines.

Reactions: dylansalrin
Did your BB come with extended shocks?

If it did come with 2" longer shocks, then yes you easily could get 2" coils and just slap them in there!

I'd recommend though to as well install longer bump-stops, to avoid bottoming out your shocks when you are stuffing your tires into your wheel wells.

And I compared my stock brake lines to my extended ones, and if you ONLY had a 2" lift then they may work just fine! However, I basically have a 3.75" lift on the front of my Jeep (My bumper and winch sagged the front of my Jeep, so I installed 1.75" spacers only on the front to level out my Jeep. 2" coils + 1.75" spacers). When I had my wheels at full turn, the stock brake lines stretched a little, and that was enough of an excuse for me to get longer brake lines!

Which, in case you ever do change out your front brake lines, you can use YJ brake lines. They are MUCH cheaper than aftermarket extended brake lines.

No I just bought 5000x series rancho shocks that fit for my height right now ha. Thanks for the tip I might look into that soon. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the info!!

No I just bought 5000x series rancho shocks that fit for my height right now ha. Thanks for the tip I might look into that soon. Better safe than sorry. Thanks for the info!!

Oh well then yea if you have 2" shocks then no problem!

You are welcome!

If your shocks are long enough you could just swap the springs to something like BDS or similar. As far as gearing, I will disagree with Nashorn as far as gearing not being noticeable. The only way to get your "power" back after swapping to 33's will be a gear swap. 33's, 2.4 and whatever trans you may have will require more gear than was ever put in a stock TJ. Think 4.88 or lower. And while a re-gear is expensive, it is all part of the game. Same as lifts, skids, lockers, etc.

Mine is a 05 SE with the 6 spd and it needs more than the 3.73's with only 31's. To get back to stock I think I figured I would need something like a 4.30, with 4.56 being close enough.

If your shocks are long enough you could just swap the springs to something like BDS or similar. As far as gearing, I will disagree with Nashorn as far as gearing not being noticeable. The only way to get your "power" back after swapping to 33's will be a gear swap. 33's, 2.4 and whatever trans you may have will require more gear than was ever put in a stock TJ. Think 4.88 or lower. And while a re-gear is expensive, it is all part of the game. Same as lifts, skids, lockers, etc.

Mine is a 05 SE with the 6 spd and it needs more than the 3.73's with only 31's. To get back to stock I think I figured I would need something like a 4.30, with 4.56 being close enough.

Yea I'm gonna contact some shops around MN to get 4.88s dropped in. I heard it's something you don't want to mess with yourself

Well that makes sense, but at the same time re-gearing doesn't take away the fact that you have less power from the 2.4 L by default.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything has a trade off. Re-gearing higher or lower; your gas consumption and power is going to lack in a certain part of the spectrum no matter what setup you have. In my opinion, if you really want to have that extra power, then you need the 4.0 L. If you already have the 2.4 L, then rock it! Those 4 cylinders sure save on gas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but everything has a trade off. Re-gearing higher or lower; your gas consumption and power is going to lack in a certain part of the spectrum no matter what setup you have. In my opinion, if you really want to have that extra power, then you need the 4.0 L. If you already have the 2.4 L, then rock it! Those 4 cylinders sure save on gas.

It does indeed. With gearing you will gain more bottom end and lose more top end (or vice versa, depending on which way you go).

Mileage is always affected, one way or another. It could increase, and yes I have seen it, by re-gearing lower. Starting from a stop consumes the most fuel generally. So if you have to bury your foot to get going you are using a bunch of fuel. Lower your gearing to better match your tire size and no more foot to the floor. Gearing is the only way to make up for the lack of hp/tq from the 2.4.

Even the 4.0 and it's increase in hp/tq isn't enough to overcome larger/heavier tires. You would still need a gear swap to bring you back to it's most efficient hp/tq range.

Reactions: Chris
Even the 4.0 and it's increase in hp/tq isn't enough to overcome larger/heavier tires. You would still need a gear swap to bring you back to it's most efficient hp/tq range.

Very, very true. Larger / heavier tires are one of the biggest killers of mpg on a Jeep.