How to sound deaden the interior of your TJ

Very well put together write up and details!

I have a hard top (had zero insulation) and installed a product from HotHead HeadLiner (see photo) and this Siless Liner 157 Mil Aluminum Foil finish car sound deadening & heat insulation throughout the cab. As you can see the headliner reduced the temp by 20 degrees and with the foil material throughout the entire floor, under the seats, under the console, in rear part of the Jeep reduced the temp by 10-15 degree but most importantly reduced the decibels inside the cab. As you mentioned my significant other also noticed how much quieter the cab is and most importantly the AC is not running on High to try to cool use off.

View attachment 174177

View attachment 174171

View attachment 174172

View attachment 174173

View attachment 174174

View attachment 174175

View attachment 174176
@Larry97TJ Hotheads says their headliner can be installed with the top on but on a dry fit, I can't get mine past the speaker bar. Did you take you top off to install? Any other tips? Thanks!

@Larry97TJ Hotheads says their headliner can be installed with the top on but on a dry fit, I can't get mine past the speaker bar. Did you take you top off to install? Any other tips? Thanks!
I just installed my Hothead liner in my LJ. I had my hardtop off as I was doing other work to it. I actually sent this picture to Hothead as I thought they had shorted me some velcro in the middle panel (LJ has three panels vs 2). They responded quickly saying that there was no velcro there because of the sound bar. Now that my hardtop is installed with headliner I see the headliner is resting gently on the speaker pods. It might be tricky to get it in the right spot while avoiding sticking the adhesive side of the velcro to the wrong spot on the top. The velcro hook and loop sticks much better than the adhesive in my experience. If you cant take the hard top off you might consider installing the velcro strips separately rather than following their directions.

You could also loosed the hard top and stick pieces of wood between the tub and hard top to give you more room.

IMG_5851.jpeg

Reactions: LarryTJ and j8ksdad
I didn't have to take my hard top off. It was a tight fit and I followed the process included in the package/box i'm pretty sure I had to slightly bend the rear piece/panel to fit up past the speaker bar (during my dry run).

Tips: Do a dry run and leave all the tacky super Velcro in place on the headliner and insert/slide under the speaker bar (it will be snug) to make sure it fit up. Use blue tape (or something similar to mark the location of the Velcro location to make sure the Velcro was positioned correctly. Once you have figured out a dry run fit up wipe the hard top down twice Or three times with Acetone.

I've attached some images to give you an idea my space between the speaker bar and hard top roof (about 1").

IMG_5377.jpg

IMG_5376.jpg

IMG_5375.jpg

IMG_5374.jpg

IMG_5373.jpg

Reactions: j8ksdad
I didn't have to take my hard top off. It was a tight fit and I followed the process included in the package/box i'm pretty sure I had to slightly bend the rear piece/panel to fit up past the speaker bar (during my dry run).

Tips: Do a dry run and leave all the tacky super Velcro in place on the headliner and insert/slide under the speaker bar (it will be snug) to make sure it fit up. Use blue tape (or something similar to mark the location of the Velcro location to make sure the Velcro was positioned correctly. Once you have figured out a dry run fit up wipe the hard top down twice Or three times with Acetone.

I've attached some images to give you an idea my space between the speaker bar and hard top roof (about 1").

View attachment 190618

View attachment 190619

View attachment 190620

View attachment 190621

View attachment 190622

Thanks!

Great write up! Sounds like many who shared feedback here have hard tops. I'm curious how much quieter this may make a TJ with a soft top?

Great write up! Sounds like many who shared feedback here have hard tops. I'm curious how much quieter this may make a TJ with a soft top?
Yes I thought the same.....Lining the tub 'has to' improve allot of the road noise but I think the only way to improve the noise on a soft top is to buy another soft top and double bag it haha

• Haha
Reactions: DaveC
Mines a soft top. But its been down since i put in all the sound deadener, heat shield and carpet. But i can still tell a big difference. Motor and road noise especially. I can hear my stereo clearer. be putting the top back on shortly. I'll report back.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and DaveC
Mines a soft top. But its been down since i put in all the sound deadener, heat shield and carpet. But i can still tell a big difference. Motor and road noise especially. I can hear my stereo clearer. be putting the top back on shortly. I'll report back.
I'll probably replace the original carpets, which are approaching 15 years old. Despite the TJ being well cared for, they're old, worn and, as we all know, super thin. I know replacing with either the Bed Rug or ACC carpet I've read so much about here should make some difference over OEM. Just wondering if the additional sound barrier is worth the cost and effort with only a soft top.

Look forward to hearing your feedback. 👍

Reactions: Nickgsjeep
I talked to the people at boom mat and they're looking for an LJ to make a head liner pattern , anyone in Ohio it might be a good chance to score a discount for letting them use your LJ

I'll probably replace the original carpets, which are approaching 15 years old. Despite the TJ being well cared for, they're old, worn and, as we all know, super thin. I know replacing with either the Bed Rug or ACC carpet I've read so much about here should make some difference over OEM. Just wondering if the additional sound barrier is worth the cost and effort with only a soft top.

If the ACC carpet isn’t worth the sound difference it is worth the appearance difference. It’s one of the first things I did when I bought my jeep and it is so nice to have

It was worth it for me and my soft top setup. Think of the tub as the head of a drum. When vibrations come through the tub, they are amplified by the drum head. After you stick the barrier on, that vibration is dampened. I still have OEM carpet, but I'd imagine that thicker carpet would help.

I still haven't done the heat barrier yet, but plan to eventually.

I added this to my build thread. But thought i would mention it here.

If your adding more than just sound deadener to your tub, i added sound deadener and heat shield, you might consider the thinner cutpile carpet from acc.

I used the thicker essex. And between all three it filled my footwells with enough material that it made my rubber deep dish floor mats not fit right. They folded in on the sides. Interfering with my gas pedal. So im switching to carpet floor mats. And acc carpets makes those as well. Very nice ones.

If i had gone with cutpile i might have been able to keep my deep dish floor mats. So keep that in mind.

Just fyi. The essex is like something out of a Caddilac or other luxury type car. Its really thick. I would imagine that the cutpile is just as nice. Just thinner. Either way both are way less expensive than bedrug. And i dont see why you couldnt take either out and hose them off. Or clean them with a carpet cleaner. Remember to buy thru rockauto for best price. But get samples from acc carpets directly. As the colors are not accurate on their website.

Firstly - thanks to @mots and all the rest of you awesome crew for the info in this thread!

I read the thread in its entirety a couple of weeks ago as I plan this project...but don't recall anyone chiming in on how the carpet + Noico compares to the carpet + "mass backing" that is an option when you purchase the ACC carpet. Any thoughts pro or con for the mass backing carpet?

Considering it because it is my assumption it will make the install process easier and faster since it eliminates the Noico cutting/placing part of the process.....

Firstly - thanks to @mots and all the rest of you awesome crew for the info in this thread!

I read the thread in its entirety a couple of weeks ago as I plan this project...but don't recall anyone chiming in on how the carpet + Noico compares to the carpet + "mass backing" that is an option when you purchase the ACC carpet. Any thoughts pro or con for the mass backing carpet?

Considering it because it is my assumption it will make the install process easier and faster since it eliminates the Noico cutting/placing part of the process.....
I dont think you will get near as much sound deadening. Mass back is good. But sticking the sound deadener directly to the tub is the gold standard. Imho.

Unless you plan on getting your interior wet. And want to remove everything to dry it out. Then mass back would be the way to go.

I dont think you will get near as much sound deadening. Mass back is good. But sticking the sound deadener directly to the tub is the gold standard. Imho.

Unless you plan on getting your interior wet. And want to remove everything to dry it out. Then mass back would be the way to go.