How to sound deaden the interior of your TJ

Would doing just the hood liner by itself make a big difference? Eventually I will do the entire tub and maybe hardtop, but just doing the hood seems like a really easy starting point. It seems for me that a large amount of my noise comes from my engine and it would be nice to get rid of at least some of it.

Would doing just the hood liner by itself make a big difference? Eventually I will do the entire tub and maybe hardtop, but just doing the hood seems like a really easy starting point. It seems for me that a large amount of my noise comes from my engine and it would be nice to get rid of at least some of it.
I noticed a good difference from the hood deadening getting rid of engine noise. I don’t hear it winding up anymore or the fan. I’d like to figure out how to kill the wind noise better still after all of this insulation.

I found mine on Amazon, was around $25.00. What did you pay for yours?
I did the same thing. I have a 97, so no need to replace the whole thing. Big difference in noise and sound as well as no more fume smells after a ride. I covered the underside of the panel with heat shield and the surrounding area from underneath. Big difference last summer. I may do the firewall and the rest of the under dash area. nothing crazy, but just enough for some heat reflection. The inside of the doors will get some butil paneling just for dampening.

Reactions: Ericict
Working on mine, decided to go with the black instead. It does take some time to do been on it for 4 hours and still have the fender wells to do.

20210703_155104.jpg

20210703_191201.jpg

Wouldnt placing the heat shield or even sound deadener under the hood hold more hot air in?

I wouldnt waste your time on the hood if your doing tub and firewall. Once i did that i could barely hear the engine. Except passing gear. On a stock exhaust '99. And thats one layer of sound deadener and one layer of heat shield.

Reactions: Twopoint
Did he roll it down? Not sure how much that matters but it looks like he just stuck it without rolling it smooth.
Thats heat shield on top of second skin sound deadener. The black strip shows some of the sound deadener. Its stuff just like noico. But a bit better. He rollex every inch. All the way up the firewall.

The foil stuff is on top. Its www.carinsulation.com. You just tack it down with spray adhesive. And then tape the seams with supplied aluminum tape. Its cheap as hell and blocks 97% of ambient heat. Used alot in the hotrod community.

But thats why the top fpil and foam stuff looks not rolled out. This sound deadener is black. And the heat shield is silver.

Reactions: 112dB
I went the NOICO route..... took two days total and did both Mass Load as well as Sound Absorbing material. 1 and 1/2 box of each material and did the complete tub including as high as I could go up the firewall and the rear fender wells.
Re-installed the OEM carpet over it again after pressure washing it and hands down, 110% worth all the hassle. Under 55mph its like a small compact car now. Around 75MPH I would estimate its at least 30% more quite then before the NOICO. I highly recommend to others wanting to dampen the noise a bit.

I went the NOICO route..... took two days total and did both Mass Load as well as Sound Absorbing material. 1 and 1/2 box of each material and did the complete tub including as high as I could go up the firewall and the rear fender wells.
Re-installed the OEM carpet over it again after pressure washing it and hands down, 110% worth all the hassle. Under 55mph its like a small compact car now. Around 75MPH I would estimate its at least 30% more quite then before the NOICO. I highly recommend to others wanting to dampen the noise a bit.
Do you have a link to the box of sound deadener ?

Reactions: Kiwi TJ