How to sound deaden the interior of your TJ

1 Pack of each was not enough for me. I did the entire floor front to back to include the transmission hump, half way up the firewall as well as the insides of the rockers on both sides, rear wheel wells were done up to the edge where Soft tops clips to body.
I have 1/2 box left of each , both Mass Loading (Shiny silver color) as well as the red colored (Sound Dampening) and plan to do the doors as well . I figure no sense in wasting it. Probably a little extreme for most but I also like my stereo and it makes a world of difference for a daily driver. I was surprised that there is ZERO padding or dampening on the entire tub with the exception of the factory sprayed area behind the dash so anything will make a difference. It really does make the TJ a dream to drive and gives the TJ a more solid feel. Highly recommend it.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
I'm going to be ordering the Noico today and was wondering if it has any temperature insulation properties? I'll be insulating the hardtop soon too. I don't need much, just cooling the interior a little would be huge

Reactions: FJQue
I didn't use Noico, but a similar product. I didn't notice a big change in temperature. I think the consensus is to place some reflectix (or similar) on top or some kind of shield underneath.

If you have a manual transmission, make sure that the rubber seal is in place between the tub and stick.

I didn't use Noico, but a similar product. I didn't notice a big change in temperature. I think the consensus is to place some reflectix (or similar) on top or some kind of shield underneath.

If you have a manual transmission, make sure that the rubber seal is in place between the tub and stick.

Thanks! I've been meaning to check out my boot to make sure there aren't any tears. I'll see what other heat shields I can find too

Reactions: RMETeeJay
Oddly enough I just saw one of your other posts about them. I think I'll go that route. Still debating how to do the hardtop. If I could use the same material for both, that would be great. I'd have to glue some sort of headliner over it though
Its super light weight. And easy to spray adhesive in place. Id do a cheap thin indoor outdoor carpet over it as headliner. Try lowes or hd.

Reactions: FJQue
Its super light weight. And easy to spray adhesive in place. Id do a cheap thin indoor outdoor carpet over it as headliner. Try lowes or hd.
Cool, I just read this whole thread to make sure I did not technically re-ask something already discussed.. I just bought another TJ this weekend and on my way home I felt like this treacherous radiating heat coming from the floor! 2 things about the TJ that are different form all my others, 1. No carpet in this one and 2. Floor is bedlined

Told myself I have to fix this, it was uncomfortable. not sure if I got soft or this setup is hotter than usual so this thread was on point, well, for sound mostly.. I'll be checking the boots after work, thanks for that tip. Wondering how much heat difference you guys are feeling? Hearing the radio for once would be wonderful but I am more curious about a nice sound and heat setup.. So, questions:

- Can I apply the Noico or heat film over the bedliner which obviously isn't going anywhere?

- Should one go before the other? My guess would be the reflective first for heat, then open cell layer for sound?

Thanks so much, great thread!

Cool, I just read this whole thread to make sure I did not technically re-ask something already discussed.. I just bought another TJ this weekend and on my way home I felt like this treacherous radiating heat coming from the floor! 2 things about the TJ that are different form all my others, 1. No carpet in this one and 2. Floor is bedlined

Told myself I have to fix this, it was uncomfortable. not sure if I got soft or this setup is hotter than usual so this thread was on point, well, for sound mostly.. I'll be checking the boots after work, thanks for that tip. Wondering how much heat difference you guys are feeling? Hearing the radio for once would be wonderful but I am more curious about a nice sound and heat setup.. So, questions:

- Can I apply the Noico or heat film over the bedliner which obviously isn't going anywhere?

- Should one go before the other? My guess would be the reflective first for heat, then open cell layer for sound?

I feel like applying the noico over bed liner might not work out. The butyl rubber needs to cover surface area of the steel body to absorb the sound resonance. The bed liner won’t allow for that good contact in order to absorb the sound. As for heat I’d check the boots and also check to make sure your floor vents aren’t permanently open blowing heat. The tunnel does get hot the noico significantly reduced the heat coming from there, not much help I’m sure if you’re bedlined though. Might be worth looking into having it sand blasted off?🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
I feel like applying the noico over bed liner might not work out. The butyl rubber needs to cover surface area of the steel body to absorb the sound resonance. The bed liner won’t allow for that good contact in order to absorb the sound. As for heat I’d check the boots and also check to make sure your floor vents are permanently open blowing heat. The tunnel does get hot the noico significantly reduced the heat coming from there, not much help I’m sure if you’re bedlined though. Might be worth looking into having it sand blasted off?🤷🏻‍♂️
FWIW I had my interior bedlined and ended up covering it with 80 mil noico. I was worried that it wasn't going to stick like nick said since it wouldn't make good contact, I got it to work and I'm beyond happy with the results. Just make sure you clean the living hell out of the bedliner before installing noico or heat film, make sure it is COMPLETELY dry, and I think the most important thing when installing the noico is to use the roller to press the diamonds or whatever the bumps are and flatten it all the way until it becomes completely smooth. I did that and covered it up with bedrug and absolutely love it.

Just clean the bedliner really well. Sound deadener should provide some heat insulation. If you find its not enough. I put a layer of heat shield over the sound deadener. It blocks 97% of radiant heat.

www.carinsulation.com

Its cheap and goes down in large sections. So its quick and easy. You can just cover the tunnel and cargo area if you want too.

Reactions: FJQue and D M
FWIW I had my interior bedlined and ended up covering it with 80 mil noico. I was worried that it wasn't going to stick like nick said since it wouldn't make good contact, I got it to work and I'm beyond happy with the results. Just make sure you clean the living hell out of the bedliner before installing noico or heat film, make sure it is COMPLETELY dry, and I think the most important thing when installing the noico is to use the roller to press the diamonds or whatever the bumps are and flatten it all the way until it becomes completely smooth. I did that and covered it up with bedrug and absolutely love it.
Huh no kidding, very surprising!

Reactions: FJQue and D M
Dude, thanks for chiming in, I figured it would need to be squeaky clean if it worked at all, this gives hope :)

Reactions: D M