How to sound deaden the interior of your TJ

Finished up my install last night. All-in-all, this was probably a 10 hour job. I covered every single square inch of visible floor pan possible with both the Noico 80mil and the Noico 170mil insulation layer.

The end result is very impressive. Not only does my Jeep hold in heat much better, but I can no longer hear my tires whatsoever, even at highway speed. It's by no means as quiet as a Cadillac, but it's such an extreme difference from stock. My Jeep is much, much quieter, and my stereo system actually sounds even better than it did before (which is saying a lot), which I attribute to this material.

I'm more than impressed to say the least. This isn't a small project though, not by any means! It was very time consuming, but well worth it!

Finished up my install last night. All-in-all, this was probably a 10 hour job. I covered every single square inch of visible floor pan possible with both the Noico 80mil and the Noico 170mil insulation layer.

The end result is very impressive. Not only does my Jeep hold in heat much better, but I can no longer hear my tires whatsoever, even at highway speed. It's by no means as quiet as a Cadillac, but it's such an extreme difference from stock. My Jeep is much, much quieter, and my stereo system actually sounds even better than it did before (which is saying a lot), which I attribute to this material.

I'm more than impressed to say the least. This isn't a small project though, not by any means! It was very time consuming, but well worth it!

What was the hardest part? Removing everything? Or the rolling? To bad you don't have a soft top. Would love to hear how quiet it made that too. But with a hard top it must be a dream inside. Soundwise.

What was the hardest part? Removing everything? Or the rolling? To bad you don't have a soft top. Would love to hear how quiet it made that too. But with a hard top it must be a dream inside. Soundwise.

Removing everything was easy. Rolling both layers was a pain in the butt, but moreover, it was trimming pieces to fit around all the curved surfaces and such. That was very time consuming.

I'm planning on putting the Hot Heads headliner inside my hard top, which should make it even quieter.

Reactions: Head Lice

That's great Chris! We can now appreciate why places are charging $1200 for the wall-to-wall Dynamat. While not hard, it is time consuming to do properly. If you break the job up into two sessions like we did (front and back), it really isn't too bad. The end result is priceless...definitely one of my favorite mods. The wife and the guys at work were amazed when I took them for the first ride.

That's great Chris! We can now appreciate why places are charging $1200 for the wall-to-wall Dynamat. While not hard, it is time consuming to do properly. If you break the job up into two sessions like we did (front and back), it really isn't too bad. The end result is priceless...definitely one of my favorite mods. The wife and the guys at work were amazed when I took them for the first ride.

Oh yeah, totally. If someone was charging $1200 for the material and installation based on maybe a $100/hr shop rate, I would say that's a totally fair price. Like I said, about 10 hours total give or take, but that's because I had to do two layers. Breaking it up into front and back definitely helped a lot. Doing it all in one day would have been too taxing.

Those metal rollers I bought were amazing though. I'm going to put the Hot Heads headliner on my hardtop next, and do the inside of the full doors as well. I considered doing inside the center console, but I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Thanks for all the info. I have been thinking about doing this for a while now. I was also thinking of doing this or something like this to the hardtop and then covering the entire inside of the hardtop with carpet. I don't know if this is a topic for another thread, if everyone thinks so then I will start one, but I would love to hear from someone that has sound treated / carpeted the hardtop.

Thanks for all the info. I have been thinking about doing this for a while now. I was also thinking of doing this or something like this to the hardtop and then covering the entire inside of the hardtop with carpet. I don't know if this is a topic for another thread, if everyone thinks so then I will start one, but I would love to hear from someone that has sound treated / carpeted the hardtop.

Just get the Hot Heads headliner for the hardtop. @psrivats has it, and I plan to get it as well. It looks really nice too, and it’s extra thick.

@mots after reading about Noico, I went ahead and purchased some and did mine as well. Great write up! The Jeep although time consuming was WAAAAAAAY easier than my 2008 Suburban I did last year! I’ve ALWAYS loved sound deadener in all of my vehicles. I can get decent pricing on Dynamat and I honestly cannot tell a difference between the Noico and Dynamat. I will say the sound deadener had a bigger impact in my Jeep than it did in my Suburban!
E34ED065-7619-47B3-AEFA-9EC8C55AC971.jpeg
E5DCB01D-4CA4-4CB8-84AF-E54B5D1C6D96.jpeg

@mots after reading about Noico, I went ahead and purchased some and did mine as well. Great write up! The Jeep although time consuming was WAAAAAAAY easier than my 2008 Suburban I did last year! I’ve ALWAYS loved sound deadener in all of my vehicles. I can get decent pricing on Dynamat and I honestly cannot tell a difference between the Noico and Dynamat. I will say the sound deadener had a bigger impact in my Jeep than it did in my Suburban!View attachment 69850View attachment 69851
Nice work! Thanks for sharing.

I wish they made some sort of kick panel covers, because on the passenger side kick panel area, you can definitely see the exposed material. At least it’s black in color.

Reactions: Andersen24
I wish they made some sort of kick panel covers, because on the passenger side kick panel area, you can definitely see the exposed material. At least it’s black in color.
Agreed. Once I get the bed rug carpeting in, I may see where it shows really bad, and get some matching color material and some 3M adhesive and cover the material if it's really bad!

Agreed. Once I get the bed rug carpeting in, I may see where it shows really bad, and get some matching color material and some 3M adhesive and cover the material if it's really bad!

I have the BedRug in mine. The nice thing was that I used the Noico 80mil, but I also put the Noico 170mil insulation on top of it, which is a very dark grey in color. It makes it look much more factory, and isn’t as noticeable with the BedRug. Still, the kick panel would be nice to cover that area up just so my wife isn’t always rubbing her foot on it or something.

Just joined the forum. I am currently trying to decide what to do with the tub of my 98 Sport. My jeep is currently at the body shop getting the passenger and driver side floor pans replaced due to softball size rust holes from the previous owner not addressing a door seal leak.

I had planned to Line-x the tub. But after reading this post I am now considering using the Noico on the tub and then purchasing bedrugs. Would it be possible to do all three or would that be overkill? or even possible?

Just joined the forum. I am currently trying to decide what to do with the tub of my 98 Sport. My jeep is currently at the body shop getting the passenger and driver side floor pans replaced due to softball size rust holes from the previous owner not addressing a door seal leak.

I had planned to Line-x the tub. But after reading this post I am now considering using the Noico on the tub and then purchasing bedrugs. Would it be possible to do all three or would that be overkill? or even possible?

There's no reason you couldn't do both. Line-X it, and add the sound deadening material. I'm not sure how much of a difference the Line-X would make, but it wouldn't hurt!

There's no reason you couldn't do both. Line-X it, and add the sound deadening material. I'm not sure how much of a difference the Line-X would make, but it wouldn't hurt!

Sorry if this is a noob question but could you sound deaden it and THEN line-x? Or would that be counter productive? I was thinking in that order, you could certainly retain you spray-out-ability.

Sorry if this is a noob question but could you sound deaden it and THEN line-x? Or would that be counter productive? I was thinking in that order, you could certainly retain you spray-out-ability.

You couldn’t do that, but you could Line-X it and THEN sound deaden it.

You couldn’t do that, but you could Line-X it and THEN sound deaden it.

I'm assuming it would restrict the deadening materials ability to absorb vibrations appropriately?

Another idea I had while reading this thread involved sealants and the Noico. Could you not use a thin transparent bead of silicone in the seams to help with waterproofing as well? Correct me with I'm wrong but the biggest issue is water getting into the corners and not evaporating in time. Would it not take to the material?

BTW, AWESOME Forum! I'm going to be posting my 2006 TJ X in the members ride section soon.

Reactions: Chris
I'm assuming it would restrict the deadening materials ability to absorb vibrations appropriately?

Another idea I had while reading this thread involved sealants and the Noico. Could you not use a thin transparent bead of silicone in the seams to help with waterproofing as well? Correct me with I'm wrong but the biggest issue is water getting into the corners and not evaporating in time. Would it not take to the material?

BTW, AWESOME Forum! I'm going to be posting my 2006 TJ X in the members ride section soon.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the forum!

I used the Noico tape to seal all the seams, which should make it waterproof. Of course I never plan on exposing it to any water, so I guess it's not really any issue.

And just to be 100% transparent, this stuff didn't get rid of my noise or vibrations by any means, it just made them much less pronounced. Driving at highway speeds now, it's much quieter than it was before, but still by no means as quiet as a brand new Lexus or something.

Reactions: TJX
Sort of an odd question here. Does anyone who has used dynamat know if it is waterproof? Lets say I dynamat my entire interior and it rains in the Jeep. Am I going to have any problems? I'm having my transmission tunnel covered with dynamat to reduce heat from my tummy tuck but I'm considering have the whole interior covered.