How to sound deaden the interior of your TJ

Sort of an odd question here. Does anyone who has used dynamat know if it is waterproof? Lets say I dynamat my entire interior and it rains in the Jeep. Am I going to have any problems? I'm having my transmission tunnel covered with dynamat to reduce heat from my tummy tuck but I'm considering have the whole interior covered.

I've heard it (and the Noico) is waterproof from others.

Reactions: jodomcfrodo
Sort of an odd question here. Does anyone who has used dynamat know if it is waterproof? Lets say I dynamat my entire interior and it rains in the Jeep. Am I going to have any problems? I'm having my transmission tunnel covered with dynamat to reduce heat from my tummy tuck but I'm considering have the whole interior covered.

It doesn't matter if it's dynamat. As dynamat is no different from the other sound deadener materials. It just costs a whole lot more. You can find the same specs in another sound deadener for WAY less. They are all butyl rubber with an aluminum backing. The better ones anyway. (You generally want to stay away from anything asphalt based. But they are even cheaper.)

All of them are in some way waterproof. As it's Butyl rubber and aluminum. The problem is it goes on in strips. And there really isn't a way to place a waterproof barrier over the seams or the entire install. I mean you could do another layer over the seams. I guess. Or tape the seams with aluminum tape. But it's not a waterproof barrier per se. It's a sound proofing and vibration damper.

I will say the asphalt based stuff is actually a waterproofing layer for your houses roof. So I guess if you installed it and used aluminum tape or a second layer to cover the seams. It could be an actual waterproof barrier. But in a Jeep with a tub. You're asking for trouble because water will pool up in the bottom. And a seamed tape install isn't really the same thing as a waterproof barrier.

Having said that, I don't think if you got stuck in the rain with your top down you'd end up with any significant damage. Unless you left water build up in your tub. And not shop vac and dry it out in say a dry heated garage. Especially just doing your tunnel. Any water would probably just seap right off the sound proofing layer and into the footwells. Either way - if you had a waterproof barrier on your tub. You'd still have to remove the carpet, dry it out, drain any water out of your footwells. And go from there.

Sound deadener isn't really for mud bogging or staying out in the rain with your top down. But neither is carpet. If you want to stay out in the rain. I'd cover the tub with professional bed liner. And not use carpet or sound deadener at all.

This stuff is so ridiculously easy. If you can remove your carpet. (Which is super easy in a Jeep.) you can apply sound deadener. It's peel and stick. And then you use a roller to make sure it adheres to the surface all the way. To do your tunnel would probably take half an hour. And about $30(?) in material. For a normally priced one like Noico. How much are they charging you for the Dynamat?

EDIT - Alot of upholstery shops will apply sound deadener for you. If you didn't want to do it yourself. At least that way you could supply another sound deadener besides Dynamat. Your really only paying for a name in that stuff. And it's ridiculously expensive compared to others.,

It doesn't matter if it's dynamat. As dynamat is no different from the other sound deadener materials. It just costs a whole lot more. You can find the same specs in another sound deadener for WAY less. They are all butyl rubber with an aluminum backing. The better ones anyway. (You generally want to stay away from anything asphalt based. But they are even cheaper.)

All of them are in some way waterproof. As it's Butyl rubber and aluminum. The problem is it goes on in strips. And there really isn't a way to place a waterproof barrier over the seams or the entire install. I mean you could do another layer over the seams. I guess. Or tape the seams with aluminum tape. But it's not a waterproof barrier per se. It's a sound proofing and vibration damper.

I will say the asphalt based stuff is actually a waterproofing layer for your houses roof. So I guess if you installed it and used aluminum tape or a second layer to cover the seams. It could be an actual waterproof barrier. But in a Jeep with a tub. You're asking for trouble because water will pool up in the bottom. And a seamed tape install isn't really the same thing as a waterproof barrier.

Having said that, I don't think if you got stuck in the rain with your top down you'd end up with any significant damage. Unless you left water build up in your tub. And not shop vac and dry it out in say a dry heated garage. Especially just doing your tunnel. Any water would probably just seap right off the sound proofing layer and into the footwells. Either way - if you had a waterproof barrier on your tub. You'd still have to remove the carpet, dry it out, drain any water out of your footwells. And go from there.

Sound deadener isn't really for mud bogging or staying out in the rain with your top down. But neither is carpet. If you want to stay out in the rain. I'd cover the tub with professional bed liner. And not use carpet or sound deadener at all.

This stuff is so ridiculously easy. If you can remove your carpet. (Which is super easy in a Jeep.) you can apply sound deadener. It's peel and stick. And then you use a roller to make sure it adheres to the surface all the way. To do your tunnel would probably take half an hour. And about $30(?) in material. For a normally priced one like Noico. How much are they charging you for the Dynamat?

EDIT - Alot of upholstery shops will apply sound deadener for you. If you didn't want to do it yourself. At least that way you could supply another sound deadener besides Dynamat. Your really only paying for a name in that stuff. And it's ridiculously expensive compared to others.,

I'm more worried about getting the Jeep back complete after two months in the shop than anything else. Not sure how much they want to put it on but I'm having other interior work done at the same time so it only makes sense for them to do it. I don't have too many free days to work on the Jeep anymore. As for the fact that dynamat is more expensive, oh well I guess. It is what they always use so I thought I'd just let them.

Still wondering if anyone has any experience with water and sound deadening.

Still wondering if anyone has any experience with water and sound deadening.

I installed Silass brand sound deadener, and got water in the drivers footwell. The water pooled on top the the sound deadener. I pulled the carpet to dry and soaked the pooled water with a towel. When things were dry, I put it back together and didn't notice any issues.

Silass is foiled faced butyl material.

Reactions: JMT and jodomcfrodo
I did essentially the same thing on my '99 but used Dynamat, with the hard top on you can easily have a conversation while going down the road, the next step it to insulate the hardtop!

Reactions: Chris
Reactions: Jon Wildes
Probably due to lack of coffee, but I'm having issues visualizing where these go inside the Jeep. Do these go along the sides under the door and up under the dash?
you are absolutely correct

My son's jeep has the kick panels covered. I need to get mine, so I can cover the Dynamat I will be putting in.

After giving it some thought all yesterday I went ahead and ordered a number of samples this morning as well. While not a huge change, I think carpet on the panels under the doors would be a nice QoL addition.
I think anything between you and the outside is a good addition. Plus you can put the sound deadening material down under it.

I think anything between you and the outside is a good addition. Plus you can put the sound deadening material down under it.
Been reading everything I can find around here on sound deadening. Definitely something I'm going to attempt this Spring once the temps have warmed up and the snow is gone. Not expecting car-quiet levels, but if it means not having to listen to passengers complain as much about things being loud then I'd consider it a "win".

We use a similar product in aircraft to minimize harmonics. It works wonders and I've used to isolate around car microphones for hands free use.