How to sound deaden the interior of your TJ

are you saying that you wrap the mic with it to reduce noise?

No, I wrap the compartment the mike sits in on my other cars when I get complaints from the other side. My TJ, I went and purchased a different mike and placed it between the center section and drivers gage panel(?). The new mike was $30 and a whole lot better than the old.

Reactions: Jon Wildes
No, I wrap the compartment the mike sits in on my other cars when I get complaints from the other side. My TJ, I went and purchased a different mike and placed it between the center section and drivers gage panel(?). The new mike was $30 and a whole lot better than the old.
Gotcha. I have a mic in my Jeep also the on that cake with the head unit. Same issue picks up a lot of noise and isn’t high quality.

Gotcha. I have a mic in my Jeep also the on that cake with the head unit. Same issue picks up a lot of noise and isn’t high quality.

Riding with the soft top at 65mph, I ve been told by wife it is very clear and no wind or engine noise. Once it warms up, Ill try it with the top off.

Link to product?

TIA
I purchase from the YARD STORE in Wichita. When the storms pass, Ill go out to the garage and see if there is any mfg info on it.

Being acft parts they can get pricy. If you can order from the Yard, it is surplus and much cheaper. The Yard

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

For anyone who wants a good in-depth overview of the major steps to sound deadening a car, I recommend looking through this web site:

https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
The person who runs the site has since retired, so his products are no longer available. However there is a lot of good theory and methodology on the site. Similar products available elsewhere work just as well.

Years ago, I used this method to sound deaden a base model f150. I was able to significantly reduce the road noise and at the same time insulate the cab. Now the heater/AC seems overpowered and I can hold a conversation at freeway speeds.

Reactions: khakitj
Do you have a link for the Mic you used?

I pulled up the carpet on my LJ, it has a good 1/2" of sound pad attache to it. Is it really worth adding more butyl to this much sound proofing? I could see if it is like my older YJ, it has no sound proofing attached to the carpet. Tim

This will sound like a silly question but has anyone actually found that tire noise was louder after doing this? I had actually done the tub area under the seats last summer to see if it helped with the vibration harmonics, I used the 80 mil Nioco product and actually did the wheel well areas of the rear of the tub. Yesterday I finally got around to doing the floor of the rear cargo area and added the 120 mil Nioco pad to everything. I drove the Jeep today and while it sounds solid and not as much noise from under the Jeep the tire noise seams like it has increased 10x’s. To the point I drove it to one of my shops today that was 200 miles round trip and I had to grab a set of ear plugs for the ride home. Tire pressure is what I have been running for the last year, wear is dead eaven and I rotated them last week. I’m running a soft top and the windows were up, the tire noise was more manageable if I rolled the windows down slightly.

It is almost like the sound deadening canceled out the lower frequency and now the tire noise is overpowering.

This will sound like a silly question but has anyone actually found that tire noise was louder after doing this? I had actually done the tub area under the seats last summer to see if it helped with the vibration harmonics, I used the 80 mil Nioco product and actually did the wheel well areas of the rear of the tub. Yesterday I finally got around to doing the floor of the rear cargo area and added the 120 mil Nioco pad to everything. I drove the Jeep today and while it sounds solid and not as much noise from under the Jeep the tire noise seams like it has increased 10x’s. To the point I drove it to one of my shops today that was 200 miles round trip and I had to grab a set of ear plugs for the ride home. Tire pressure is what I have been running for the last year, wear is dead eaven and I rotated them last week. I’m running a soft top and the windows were up, the tire noise was more manageable if I rolled the windows down slightly.

It is almost like the sound deadening canceled out the lower frequency and now the tire noise is overpowering.
That’s not the experience I had. Overall, everything was quieter than before. Still no regrets. My new KO2’s were pretty quiet before I even started though. Are you running Mud Terrains? Sounds like some sort of cabin pressure resonance issue if rolling the windows down slightly helped. I also have a hard top, so there is that difference as well.

P.S. the hoodliner material I used is holding up well. Still looks the same and is still sticking really good with the adhesive backing like the day I installed it. I promised to report back on this at some point, so here it is!

Reactions: Allstar424
Oh, just an FYI, you do NOT need to cover 100% of every surface, a 90% coverage will show the same results as a 100%. It does not have to be perfect to deaden the sound.
I would say you don't even need 50% coverage. Covering every inch of the surface is old school, and a waste of material.

Reactions: khakitj