How to sound deaden the interior of your TJ

@mots , thank you for this thread. I used to follow Don Sambrook at Sound Deadener Showdown. I appreciated his instructions, DIY spirit, and wealth of knowledge. I ordered some of his materials for my other car (a Prius—yes, really), but had never considered the Jeep. Recently, I decided to tackle the Jeep, only to find that he had retired. :-( So, very glad to find this post. I look forward to reading in full and considering what approach I'll take.

Reactions: mots
I've thought about doing this but most of the time I have either the frameless soft top windows out or the whole top off and doors off. In FL it is common to get unpredictable rain in the Summer. When that happens I make sure I get some air under the carpet to get everything dried up. Will this sound deadening material hold moisture?

I've thought about doing this but most of the time I have either the frameless soft top windows out or the whole top off and doors off. In FL it is common to get unpredictable rain in the Summer. When that happens I make sure I get some air under the carpet to get everything dried up. Will this sound deadening material hold moisture?

The butyl layer shouldn't hold moisture. Of course if you have little gaps between the layers, water will likely get in there and sit.

Personally I wouldn't install this stuff if the interior of my TJ was going to see moisture. While the butyl itself shouldn't hold moisture, I think it's a recipe for rust in the long run if you plan on water getting on the floor.

I just purchased some Noico 80 mil and the three tool roller kit off Amazon for my Polaris General. Glad to hear it worked well for your TJ.

The floors etc of the General are plastic so I'm not too worried about moisture. As mentioned before on this thread I'm kind of worried about rust down the road using it in my TJ. Mines a '99, miles are somewhere in the 60 k's and in great shape. More mall then crawl for sure. Lives an easy life and plan to own it for as long as I'm around so preserving it and avoiding rust is a must.

I have not done it yet on my General but I have to think if you ever wanted to remove it you'd have a sticky PITA mess to deal with. But I love the idea of getting some of the noise tamed down.

Has anyone that has used a product like this in their TJ pulled some of it back and checked to see if moisture getting trapped under material is an issue?

PS has anyone drilled drain holes in their frame to help avoid the rusting issues?

Tons of people drill drain holes in the frame.

I don't think you'll have to worry about moisture getting trapped under this stuff unless you regularly ford rivers or go for lots of drives with the top off in the rain.

I'm interested to know if the hardtop liners help. Like hell I'm going to spend $200 for a kit but I do have some 24"×42" closed cell mats that are 1" thick. They are shiny, not mat finish. I've got a home studio and some experience as a sound engineer and consider myself not completely ignorant as an audiophile but don't know if the plasticky foam would reflect sound rather than absorb it. Wouldn't want to spray adhesive them in just to find they make things worse.

20200218_181927.jpg

I'm interested to know if the hardtop liners help. Like hell I'm going to spend $200 for a kit but I do have some 24"×42" closed cell mats that are 1" thick. They are shiny, not mat finish. I've got a home studio and some experience as a sound engineer and consider myself not completely ignorant as an audiophile but don't know if the plasticky foam would reflect sound rather than absorb it. Wouldn't want to spray adhesive them in just to find they make things worse.

View attachment 141083
I'm no sound engineer or anything of the sort but I don't think I'd use that kind of foam. You could try sticking it up with double sided tape and see if it helps. I've got some 3M double stick tape that is thick and clear that holds really well but peels off nice if you change your mind. Might be worth a try.

I think you'd want a softer foam but I could be completely wrong. You can get mass loaded vinyl (sounds a lot like marketing wank) that has foam adhered to the back side (to decouple the sound). I installed some under the front passenger feet to help with heat and maybe noise. It came with foam that was soft and dull in sheen with closed cells.

Reactions: ejay
Hey @Chris did the BedRug fit snug after doing the Noico double layers? I did the same thing as you and did the 80mil + 170mil but the factory carpets did not fit correctly which makes sense as they were made to mold to the naked tub. It bothers me that the carpet does not fit snug so i was thinking of purchasing the bedrug and changing out all the carpet to hopefully have a better fit.

Worked out great just need to do some trimming. Colors a little off but I guessed at the color.

C57C85ED-CA93-4815-9004-7A2EF320F653.jpeg

Hey @Chris did the BedRug fit snug after doing the Noico double layers? I did the same thing as you and did the 80mil + 170mil but the factory carpets did not fit correctly which makes sense as they were made to mold to the naked tub. It bothers me that the carpet does not fit snug so i was thinking of purchasing the bedrug and changing out all the carpet to hopefully have a better fit.

After the install, the BedRug still fit, but not nearly as snug as it did without the sound dampening material. Still, it wasn't bad, just not as snug as it was before. The double layers is what did this. The extra 170mm layer is pretty thick.

Did you guys use any spray adhesive to keep the carpet down? I'm using ACC thick pile carpet. And I'm sure it's going to need to be trimmed along the top lines of the carpet. And probably fit loosely on top of the sound deadener and the heat shield padding I am going to use. (Probably same thickness as your 170mm layer.)

I was wondering if one of the 3m spray adhesives was strong enough to keep the carpet down. But light enough that you could pull the carpet up if need be. Like a halfway shitty adhesive? ;) Your carpet is probably not sliding around due to the use of 170mm rubbery surfaces layer. Mine is like a foil over insulation type stuff. Like that foil insulation at HD. But better. I'm assuming my carpet is going to slide around on it a bit. Floor mats will probably help keep it in place. But was considering using a 3m adhesive between the carpet and the foil layer.

IDK. Maybe if I just spray it lightly and only in small places to tack it down. It might come up easier if I ever have to pull the carpet up. I don't know which 3m is the easiest to pull up. Maybe the General Purpose one?

Did you guys use any spray adhesive to keep the carpet down? I'm using ACC thick pile carpet. And I'm sure it's going to need to be trimmed along the top lines of the carpet. And probably fit loosely on top of the sound deadener and the heat shield padding I am going to use. (Probably same thickness as your 170mm layer.)

I was wondering if one of the 3m spray adhesives was strong enough to keep the carpet down. But light enough that you could pull the carpet up if need be. Like a halfway shitty adhesive? ;) Your carpet is probably not sliding around due to the use of 170mm rubbery surfaces layer. Mine is like a foil over insulation type stuff. Like that foil insulation at HD. But better. I'm assuming my carpet is going to slide around on it a bit. Floor mats will probably help keep it in place. But was considering using a 3m adhesive between the carpet and the foil layer.

IDK. Maybe if I just spray it lightly and only in small places to tack it down. It might come up easier if I ever have to pull the carpet up. I don't know which 3m is the easiest to pull up. Maybe the General Purpose one?

3M makes a spray adhesive specific for high temps. Can't remember the part number but I have a can in the garage. I'll look for it later. It's worked well for others when installing heat barriers around the firewall and transmission hump.

3M makes a spray adhesive specific for high temps. Can't remember the part number but I have a can in the garage. I'll look for it later. It's worked well for others when installing heat barriers around the firewall and transmission hump.

I think I have high temp and general purpose in my shop. I don't think any tub temps would require high temp adhesive. And I'd actually prefer it be kind of a lesser adhesive. So if I ever wanted to remove the carpet it would at least separate, maybe tare some fibers, but ultimately let go of the carpet. Make sense?

I've got to get my garage opened up and straightened out so I can do all this. I've had the products forever. Just need to find a couple friends to help. As I'd like to get it done in one day. As my Jeep is a daily driver. Plus it's loud as hell in that cab. Can't wait to be able to hear my stereo clearer. And have actual conversations your not yelling thru. ;)

Reactions: ejay