How to swap a high amp Dodge Durango alternator into your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
This swap should work on all 1997 to 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJs with the 4.0 engine. I don't know about the 4 cylinder engines however. What you'll need is the alternator from a 2001-2006 Dodge Durango 4.7L V8 or the 2004 Dodge Durango 3.7L. Those models have the 160 amp alternator that will work with our TJs, and give you the extra power you're looking for.

The part number for the alternator you'll need is 56029914AA. Both alternators will work, and both are 160 amp. Why they have different part numbers are beyond me, but they are both confirmed as working.

Here's a brief overview of the install:

1) Disconnect the positive and negative battery terminals first, then the alternator power cable and electrical plug.

2) Using a serpentine belt tool or a breaker bar in my case, remove the serpentine belt.

3) Remove the two bolts that hold the alternator in place and remove factory alternator.

4) Install the 160 amp alternator; it took some finessing and patients to get the alternator in. I ended up having the file some of the factory alternator bracket in order for the new one to fit. Be patient and take your time, you don’t want to damage your new alternator.

*NOTE* The Durango alternator has an extra bracket on top of the unit, it does not come into contact with the factory ignition coil but may interfere when trying to remove the it.

5) Reattach factory serpentine belt and check that everything is secure and in place.

6) Follow the factory alternators red power wire that leads to the fuse box. Mine started red and went to green when it entered the fuse box, your may vary. Cut the green wire and remove the rest of the wire.

7) Take a piece of 4 gauge wire about 25 inches or longer; I picked mine up at AutoZone for a few bucks, and attach it to the new alternator.

8) Unscrew one of the two bolts that hold the stock alternator and battery wire, and attach the other end of 4 gauge wire to it.

9) Reattach the positive and negative battery cables and double check that everything is tight and secure.

10) You’re done!

P1054825.jpg

P1054826.jpg

P1054827.jpg

P1054842.jpg

P1054846.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't actually do this. I copied and pasted this article from another site.

I do that often... I'm trying to compile as many TJ resources as I can in one place :p
Got you. It's great to have as many resources as possible. I was just wondering what the tipping point was for you to swap over. I still have the 117 amp that came stock.

Got you. It's great to have as many resources as possible. I was just wondering what the tipping point was for you to swap over. I still have the 117 amp that came stock.

Mine is still stock on my TJ.

I don't think I'd have any need for this unless I was running a crap ton of auxiliary accessories.

Reactions: JP98
I'd be curious to know what the tipping point was though for anyone who has done this!

Reactions: JP98
Glad to see it wasn't you doing this. Why? Well if you take just the ground off the battery and not the hot lead you don't have to worry about accidental contact.

I can see this for the guys running a bunch of auxillary lighting, or those mall crawlers who have a booming stereo. I've run into power issues before on other vehicles (due to stereo amps), but Fixed the problem with a "big 3 upgrade." In other words, Upsize the battery cables to ground, From the alternator and to the fuse box. Made a big difference going from 10 gauge to 00 gauge!

I can see this for the guys running a bunch of auxillary lighting, or those mall crawlers who have a booming stereo.

I am one of these guys! And I notice the headlights dim everytime the Bass hits.... so, this is one of the mods on my short list... but still debating over a Dodge swapout 160amp or a Mean Green 200amp....

but $40 vs $400 is a huge gap!

I'd be curious to know what the tipping point was though for anyone who has done this!
Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment on this. Seems somewhere I read it said was not good idea to install higher output alternator due to regular was part of CPU and not designed for higher out put , not shure what difference would make unless load was greater then capacity of regulator. Also somewhere saw a kit for installing regular on fire wall where it should be

Reactions: Chris
Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment on this. Seems somewhere I read it said was not good idea to install higher output alternator due to regular was part of CPU and not designed for higher out put , not shure what difference would make unless load was greater then capacity of regulator. Also somewhere saw a kit for installing regular on fire wall where it should be

Well I am no alternator guru, but I am pretty sure that it doesn't just constantly pump out 160A. I think that is max output.

I didn't actually do this. I copied and pasted this article from another site.

I do that often... I'm trying to compile as many TJ resources as I can in one place :p
Chris, what missing is the authors year of Wrangler.

Does this work with 96-99, 00-02 or 03-06?

Maybe a link to the original post?

I've updated the original post with the part numbers for the Dodge Durango alternator. I've also confirmed (through a bunch of Google searching) that this will work on all 1997-2006 TJs with the 4.0 engine (not sure about the 2.4 and 2.5 engines).