How to swap a high amp Dodge Durango alternator into your Jeep Wrangler TJ

Went in very easily. The trickiest part was the old alternator was really like where it was and took convincing to come out. The belt is easy to loosen since there is the pivot right below it that you can push down with a 1/2" wrench and temporarily loosen the belt. New altnerantor slipped right in to make it easier to get the belt back on I just barely got the bolts going so I had some play and I slipped the belt back on without much fuss. The connector for the PCU went right into place. Then ran a new 4 gauge wire back to the battery. Started her up ran like a champ no warning lights just plug and play. I highly recommend this swap out so far easy to do and even if you get a new or remanufactured unit as opposed to a junk yard it is about $115. If your alternator goes I dont see any downside to doing this swap. 20180403_182856.jpg 20180403_182901.jpg 20180403_182850.jpg

Im installing the 2006 dodge alternator in my 97 tj sport but from what im reading the connectors are different and the computer wont be able to handle the higher amps? If this works please explain how i need to fix it.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can comment on this. Seems somewhere I read it said was not good idea to install higher output alternator due to regular was part of CPU and not designed for higher out put , not shure what difference would make unless load was greater then capacity of regulator. Also somewhere saw a kit for installing regular on fire wall where it should be

With a properly functioning regulator, it should not affect the CPU. A high output alternator puts out more current (amps), not more voltage.

I would recommend this to anyone who has installed an electric winch. Most electric winches at full pull will draw between 300 ~ 400 amps. A higher output alternator will extend the amount of time before you discharge the battery(s). I would also recommend dual batteries.

Personally, I went with a hydraulic winch, which only draws 2 or 3 amps for the hydraulic switches.

Well I am no alternator guru, but I am pretty sure that it doesn't just constantly pump out 160A. I think that is max output.

I did a little research and found a new 160A alternator for a Jeep Wrangler.

In the stats they list the output as "80 Amps at Idle - 160 Amps at Maximum"

If anyone is interested it's new, not remanufactured, and costs $250. That junkyard alt looks better and better.
https://www.extremeterrain.com/paperf-alternator-160a-0006-2422.html

Last edited:
Reactions: ac_
This is what i thought the problemwould be.. im not a wiring expert any thoughts? The plug one is durango alt.

15446592114704014730419944782703.jpg

15446592263344964726070643246476.jpg