How to track down squeaks?

penk

TJ Enthusiast
Ol Yeller is squeaking. Maybe just having the top off for the summer means I'm hearing it but it doesn't make me happy. I'd like help tracking it down.

As far as I can tell there's three sources.

First appears to be suspension related. SOME bumps cause a squeak or three as the suspension flexes on the road. 2-3 squeaks then quiet. I cannot reproduce this by rocking or bouncing the frame. Sound like it's in the front end but can't be sure.

Second squeak is also suspension related but sounds like it's in the rear, about rear axle area.

This last one is the one bothering me the most. I'll get a regular squeak that's synced with tire or driveshaft rotation. 5-6 seconds of eekeekeekeekeekeekdek as I accelerate then it fades out. It'll fade In and out while driving (low speeds. High speeds I can't tell cuz too much wind noise)

Additional data. None of these sounds were happening before a 4 hr trail ride 2 weeks ago over a lot of bumpy rocks. We're talking teeth rattlers.

My suspicions.

Theres still a lot of dirt on the undercarriage from mud. That could be the suspension squeak.

The other drivetrain sound I'm guessing is either a wheel bearing or a u joint. Theres no rattle or grind, and grabbing the wheels and tugging is not showing the axle bearings allowing motion (though I did that on the ground. I'll do it on a Lift next).

What should I be looking for to track down these squeaks? They're annoying and make me worry I'm wearing metal somewhere.

I can do lots of undercarriage photos if that would help.

geek. berlin, ma. 2000 TJ. http://planet-geek.com

This last one is the one bothering me the most. I'll get a regular squeak that's synced with tire or driveshaft rotation. 5-6 seconds of eekeekeekeekeekeekdek as I accelerate then it fades out. It'll fade In and out while driving (low speeds.
That squeak needs to be your #1 priority to locate as it indicates a potentially serious problem that could cause a catastrophic failure while driving. My first suspicion is either a bad driveshaft u-joint or a bad centering joint inside the CV.

Take a good long hard serious look at both or your driveshafts. Look for rust dust coming out of any u-joint bearing cap, look for any bearing cap that looks cockeyed or different... either of those means a bad u-joint. Shake/rotate the driveshafts, look for unwanted slop at the u-joints where it's clear there shouldn't be. If you find a bad j-joint, a Spicer 5-1310x is a good direct fit replacement that is more durable and longer lasting than what the factory installed.

Then, try driving after removing first the front driveshaft. Then do the same by removing the rear driveshaft (shift into 4Hi to drive). If the squeaking goes away after removing either, you've isolated the problem to one of the driveshafts. Could be a bad u-joint, could be a bad centering joint in the CV joint. The OE front driveshaft has a CV joint, the OE rear driveshaft does not but most aftermarket shafts do.

Or another possibility is that you could have a bad front unit bearing hub.

Last edited:
This is great information guys thanks. I did think that regular squeak is the most scary and I'm focusing on finding that first. Thanks!!

geek. berlin, ma. 2000 TJ. http://planet-geek.com

For me tracking down noises? I find a quiet, silent commercial, industrial area. Find a paved lot beside a concrete building, roll down the windows, with a Wrangler, take off the doors, the top and listen for the sound rebounding off the wall.