1. It's time to vote for the June 2018 "Ride of the Month"! Click here to vote. Voting will end on May 31st.
    Dismiss Notice

How to upgrade & replace your factory TJ wrangler console subwoofer

Discussion in 'TJ How-to Guides' started by RangerRick, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Stockli

Stockli TJ Enthusiast

Sorry to resurrect this from the dead....

@RangerRick do you have pics of where you mounted the amp?

I like this idea, the factory amp can’t push my Polk mm’s and I need to put this kicker into my center console. I think this set up,would be great. I just suck ithnwiring and seeing you used that factory harness makes this appealing.
    Do you know if there is a wire harness that makes this amp plug and play to the stock system with console amp? That would make this even easier.

2. RangerRick

RangerRick TJ Enthusiast
    Supporting Member

It's way up under the dash behind the instrument cluster high in the dash pocket under the windshield. This is an area that even when your Jeep is almost fully submerged in mud or water retains an air pocket to keep it dry.
    Basically your head unit and dash speakers will get swamped before the amp fries from moisture. Look up under there, you'll see plenty of space for the tiny size form factor the amplifier is.

3. RangerRick

RangerRick TJ Enthusiast
    Supporting Member

I will be doing an update/long term review of this "How-To" post soon with detailed wiring pictures and more information on Jeep audio upgrades soon. Be sure to check back when I do the updates to see more details on wiring and how I integrated everything into the TJ. This will be good information for all year TJ Wranglers since my TJ is an early 3/1996 manufacture date with a complete 5/2005 Rubicon edition interior swap in done. I am also preparing to change the center stack possibly to a double DIN video/DVD receiver. If this comes about, I will have another "How-To" on it and also will build a 3rd "How-To" on CB & HAM radio communications planning all the way to successfully usable on the trail. Been busy with the family but now that warmer sunny weather is here, I will be stepping up the pace on my build.......

Steven_Olson and Chris like this.
  4. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

I'll be anxious to see a long term review.

I followed your setup and it's wonderful. I used the same amp and sub as you used as well.

However, now I'm thinking I'm going to ditch the amp and get a 5 channel amp so that I can use it to power all 4 speakers, plus the sub. I think if I did that, I can get even more amazing sound than I have no (which is actually great even as it sits).

5. RangerRick

RangerRick TJ Enthusiast
    Supporting Member

There are some good 5 channel amplifiers that can do that. My head unit drives the dash speakers & sound bar speakers, that 4 channel drives the 2 sub coils since it's DVC and the other two drive the wake board cans in the back. Gets really loud in camp if I want, just swivel the cans back to fill the campsite with sound.

What really helps is the FM broadcas transmitter that lets all radios tune into the same music I play at once filling everywhere with great audio from 20 to 30 speakers in the group! I get to be DJ for the night from the iPod.....

Travis, Steven_Olson and Chris like this.
  6. Stockli

Stockli TJ Enthusiast

No matter what my system sounds like trash. I got Polk mms in the sound bar and Polk dB in the front and a pioneer mechless deck and it still sounds like trash

Gah

7. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

That's crazy! I have Polks front and rear and a Kenwood head unit. Paired with the Kicker sub and Kicker amp (which is only powering the sub) it sounds amazing! I can hear the music loud as hell going 65 mph down the highway with no top or doors!

8. Stockli

Stockli TJ Enthusiast

Yeah, I gotta take the sound pods off the roll ha and see what’s up in there I am not sure if I wired them up backwards or what. Does anyone know the color codes for + and - on the harness for the roll bar speakers?

9. Chris

Chris Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know the colors off the top of my head, but I think if you wire them backwards they simply won't work.