How to verify if a TJ is a Rubicon

SteamRollin

New noob here with a quick question? Is there a way to verify that a TJ is a Rubicon? I’m looking at a 2003 that doesn’t appear to be a Rubicon from its markings but the owner insist it is one. Is there a spot on the VIN that identifies if it’s a Rubicon? Thank you in advance!

Reactions: abe abel
You could use the vin to get a build sheet. Or if the jeep is close by see if it has a Dana 44 in the front with 2 hoses going to each axle (one breather one to activate the locker) and check the data tag on the transfer case, see if it says Nv241.

The axles and the transfer case are what make a regular TJ into a Rubicon.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: KCsTJ and billiebob
A Rubicon comes with an OE locker switch on the dash and both axles will have air hoses connected to them, the compressors are mounted on the transfer case skidplate just behind/below the transfer case.

This is what the OE Rubicon locker switch looks like. Those two orange locker switches on the side were added after I rewired the entire locker circuit, I no longer use the OE switch.

Locker Switches 2.JPG

Reactions: PapaJeep and FTI76
A Rubicon comes with an OE locker switch on the dash and both axles will have air hoses connected to them, the compressors are mounted on the transfer case skidplate just behind/below the transfer case.

This is what the OE Rubicon locker switch looks like. Those two orange locker switches on the side were added after I rewired the entire locker circuit, I no longer use the OE switch.

View attachment 49409
Are you running ARB? I thought you ran Detroit in the rear. Just curious!

Dana 44 front. Air lockers front and rear with locker switches as Jerry posted. Rubicon’s have a 4” flare vs a 3” flare. They have diamond rockers. And if they have the stock wheels. They have 16” wheels. 4.10:1 gears and a 4:1 transfer case.

And obviously a Rubicon decal on the hood. But that’s the last thing I would trust. People put rubicon decals on 4 cylinder base model Jeeps all the time.

View attachment 49409
The locker switch would be the first thing to check but don't stop there. On my JK I bought someone's Rubicon axles who told me he was building tons. I later found out he sold the jeep with my Sahara axles in it as a Rubicon so some unsuspecting sap. Most people are decent, some are scumbags, trust but verify.

Reactions: KCsTJ
Will do! Thank you all for your input. I’ll post the results when I get back in town. I’m in Las Vegas right now enjoying the hiking and admiring all the Jeeps riding trails around Red Rock Canyon & Mt Charleston. WooHoo!

Reactions: JMT and Chris
Here's the deal-you will see all these:

4 wheel disc brakes were only on Rubicon's in that year

Dana 44 front and rear axles

Factory airlock diffs as described above with factory switch

6th digit is "6" on vin

Stock tires were 31" (for the record)

I have a 2003 Rubicon with 22,000 original miles.

24CFDC7B-9627-4CCD-AD46-BDE9955EFF11.png
Ok, so it’s not a Rubicon but it’s a really super clean ride. The owner works at a Jeep dealership in the parts department and has been replacing and adding things to this Jeep, about $1,500 with his discount he says. He’s only had it for a few months and but he wants a new one for the “status symbol” he said. Since he works at the dealership, his buddies at work inspected it for him before he bought it and did all the work on it for him. They added new shocks, new top, new mirrors and they bedlined the inside and outside underneath. It’s a 2003 Sport, 5 Speed Manual, 4.0L with 118k on it. He says it sits in his garage and he only drives it on the highway, no off roading what so ever. Engine was super clean i didn’t see any rust on it but it was all recently bed lined. He’s asking $8,900 for it but he said it’s negotiable, I’m thinking of offering him $8k for it. The only concern I had with it, was that it made a slight rumbling sound at times when he was hitting dips in the road occasionally, I don’t know maybe it was just my mind playing tricks with me, who knows it might of just been the new shocks being too stiff. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

View attachment 50188 Ok, so it’s not a Rubicon but it’s a really super clean ride. The owner works at a Jeep dealership in the parts department and has been replacing and adding things to this Jeep, about $1,500 with his discount he says. He’s only had it for a few months and but he wants a new one for the “status symbol” he said. Since he works at the dealership, his buddies at work inspected it for him before he bought it and did all the work on it for him. They added new shocks, new top, new mirrors and they bedlined the inside and outside underneath. It’s a 2003 Sport, 5 Speed Manual, 4.0L with 118k on it. He says it sits in his garage and he only drives it on the highway, no off roading what so ever. Engine was super clean i didn’t see any rust on it but it was all recently bed lined. He’s asking $8,900 for it but he said it’s negotiable, I’m thinking of offering him $8k for it. The only concern I had with it, was that it made a slight rumbling sound at times when he was hitting dips in the road occasionally, I don’t know maybe it was just my mind playing tricks with me, who knows it might of just been the new shocks being too stiff. Any feedback would be appreciated, thanks in advance!
So what happened to "...but the new owner insists it is one"? Unless he fell for someone else's sales tactics, and bought it honestly believing it to be a Rubicon, then that means he was trying to con you into believing it. You figure out that it isn't, and now he's gonna be honest about the money he's invested and whatnot? Sounds a little shady to me. Keep both eyes open and both hands on your wallet until you're 100% satisfied with what you're seeing. Just my two cents worth...

So what happened to "...but the new owner insists it is one"? Unless he fell for someone else's sales tactics, and bought it honestly believing it to be a Rubicon, then that means he was trying to con you into believing it. You figure out that it isn't, and now he's gonna be honest about the money he's invested and whatnot? Sounds a little shady to me. Keep both eyes open and both hands on your wallet until you're 100% satisfied with what you're seeing. Just my two cents worth...

I definitely see your point and I AM NOT 100% satisfied with it just yet. I probably need to just check out a few other ones before I look at this one anymore.

Reactions: Squatch
That's a nice looking TJ.
It's surprising to me that a parts guy working in a Jeep dealership would not know to run a VIN check at his employers website to get the original build sheet. Like others here have said, trust but verify. Use your judgement to determine if it's a case of an uninformed owner, or if there is an integrity issue.
Now that you know it's not a factory Rubicon, get the VIN, and run it at the site referenced above to see how it came from the factory. I'd even print it out and take with you when looking at the Jeep in person. Crawl under there and look at all the stuff these guys have mentioned...transfer case, axles, presence of lockers, interior switches, etc. Check if the rear has disc or drum brakes.

The transfer case should have a tag on it with the model & ratio:

IMG_4298.JPG

Here is an extremely valuable thread on how to identify axles in Jeep TJ:

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...d-what-the-difference-is-with-each-axle.9060/

If they bedlined the under side I'd be very cautious. That could hide a huge number of rust issues. Personally given that he's been dishonest at the start (I refuse to believe that a dealer employee believed it was a Rubicon when it wasn't, and more that the service guys didn't tell him when they worked on it.) I wouldn't then trust that he's done all this work on a jeep that he's selling a few months after buying it, and that it's perfectly rust free... But you can't check for yourself. Think about the cost of a pro bedliner job, he's taking a bath of the bedliner and parts, the jeep is free...