How to wrap a winch line?

lovemachine

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a Warn M8000 winch. And I want to wrap a Viking Off-road Synthetic winch line, with the safety thimble, onto the winch.

What's the proper way to do this?

Reactions: Robin Down
There is a great YT vid by some Australian guy about winding on line. He used a second vehicle to anchor to on a slight incline, then stood by the line and used a gloved hand and knee to assist the line to wind properly. Basically you want the line tight enough that is does not slip between the wraps of the layer beneath it, if that makes sense.

I was going to suggest this as well. Last time I was wheeling, one of the guys winch lines was spinning on the drum. When we stopped for lunch, we hooked it up to one of the vehicles and unspooled the whole thing. We respooled it back on the drum (after locking the end back down) by pulling the vehicle back to the group. Ended up nice and tight. AFAIK, its still going strong.

I have a Warn M8000 winch. And I want to wrap a Viking Off-road Synthetic winch line, with the safety thimble, onto the winch.

What's the proper way to do this?

I didn't have access another vehicle or a hill, so I used a pole in a parking lot and pulled the parking brake up a few clicks to create drag and had someone in the Jeep while I monitored the line outside.