How warm does a TJ get inside on 80+ degree days?

ldeer77

I'm working on buying my first TJ and I've been looking for one with AC. But what I really want to know from other TJ owners is just how warm do they get inside on say, 80+ degree days? With a hardtop on, i.e. no top off or anything. The reason I ask is my previous vehicles have been (older) compact trucks and cars and they got insanely hot inside while sitting half the day and did not cool down even with air movement from driving.

I'm working on buying my first TJ and I've been looking for one with AC. But what I really want to know from other TJ owners is just how warm do they get inside on say, 80+ degree days? With a hardtop on, i.e. no top off or anything. The reason I ask is my previous vehicles have been (older) compact trucks and cars and they got insanely hot inside while sitting half the day and did not cool down even with air movement from driving.

Your TJ will be exactly 10° warmer or colder than the ambient temperature, depending on which variation is less comfortable.

It will get hot. My ac went out a couple years ago and I have to take the top off to make it. When I don’t I have both windows down and still enjoy it, but it does get hot.

Reactions: DrDmoney
TJs get a lot hotter inside and take longer to cool down with the hard top on than with the soft top, in the warmer months. Hard top gets stored away for the summer, but sure is nice in the winter.

Just like any other vehicle, they get hot as hell inside on hot days, especially if you leave them sitting in the sun.

They also don't have any sort of insulation under the carpet, which means you get more heat from the exhaust, transfer case, etc.

Hot enough to make an Iron sweat....!!
If I leave my 2 cars next to each other my TJ is way hotter...soft top and plastics windows. I swear I could grow tomatoes in there some days.

The hardtop has no insulation or headliner. It can get very hot on a 90+ summer day, enough to make you feel the heat on the top of your head if you have a buzz cut before you start driving and it cools downa little. I much prefer the soft top in the summer, it doesn't get as hot imo.

Full doors bestop trektop with side and rear windows out. 90+ degrees with ac not bad at all. Even sitting in traffic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here’s a great visual example. It was 90+ out. Jeep was in Safari mode. The AC definitely made a difference.

8ba66ebc8825c6ca7ace006af814c69b.jpg

a96b7d1699d2b33ddb51c6ce35c878ec.jpg

OP, all these people are spoiled with ac.... I sometimes wish I were spoiled too

When it’s hot out, it will be hot. Wear at least a bikini top ;)
When it’s cold out, it will be cold. Put a top on🤗

I’m originally from Pennsylvania where we could get in single digits in winter and high 90’s with high humidity in the summer. I ran a soft top year round and no ac.... You’ll be fine in Washington. Even on the 90 degree days we don’t have the humidity of the east or southern states. I still need my sweatshirt on the highway.

Reactions: Ehallspqr
As others have said, the hardtop doesn't have any insulation or headliner and it gets really hot and the soft top is black and it naturally attracts a lot of light warming it up. If you are like me and sweat a lot then by all means get one with AC. I would sooner get one with the 2.4/2.5 engine and AC rather than 4.0 and no AC.