How warm is the inside of your TJ?

lBasket

Branch Manager
Supporting Member
Driving on the highway on Saturday and realized it was COLD in the TJ. It was around 2 degrees, but still, the other convertible has no issues getting nice and toasty in temps like that. I've got a factory hardtop, and I can't hear any whistling/whooshing at any seals. Curious if this is normal or maybe something is up with my HVAC system?

How warm is your TJ in cold weather?

Jealous of you guys that have the heated seats installed...

Mine will slowly cook me like I'm inside a crockpot during the winter time. Most winter temps for me are 20 to 30 with acouple weeks maybe getting in the single digits or teens.

Mine will slowly cook me like I'm inside a crockpot during the winter time. Most winter temps for me are 20 to 30 with acouple weeks maybe getting in the single digits or teens.
Even at highway speeds? Guessing "cold" is a lot colder out there with the humidity, too.

Where I am, it has gotten close to zero and my heat still cranks hot. You should definitely be getting heat.
Sounding like it. Guess I should check out the heater core.

My dad told me when I bought the TJ to expect to be cold in the winters... but he's basing that on his 70s land cruisers. Wasn't sure if it was the same.

on the lowest fan setting I can only handle the temp knob to almost half way into the heat setting on the coldest days in AZ ~30's.

On my way to work at night (40's and 50's currently) the temp knob is barely into the heat from the halfway point on the lowest speed setting.

• Wow
Reactions: lBasket
Even at highway speeds? Guessing "cold" is a lot colder out there with the humidity, too.

Sounding like it. Guess I should check out the heater core.

My dad told me when I bought the TJ to expect to be cold in the winters... but he's basing that on his 70s land cruisers. Wasn't sure if it was the same.
May have to do a reverse flush of the heater core

I'm currently working through a warm heat output issue in an '00. An IR thermometer, pointed at a vent, measured max heat output was 70*F. I flushed the heater core overnight using a pond fountain pump to cycle Prestone flush through the heater core (forward, reverse, forward flow), which improved output to 125*F but the temp slowly dropped with the fan on high. Last night I removed the blower fan then cleaned out the fins and heater core compartment, drained the coolant, and pulled the t-stat. The t-stat spring seemed weak, so I'll install a new one tonight. Hopefully this will bring the heat output up to ~140*. If not, I'll have to check the blend door. . .

Yeah, my jeep spends most its time on the highway driving to and from my cabin in the mts. I usually cant run the heat at full bore because it will literally burn my feet I think. It can be 20 outside and I'll have the temp set in the middle between hot and cold most of the time.

Ah well this is worrying. I used the rad petcock when I did flushes over the summer, not the block plug. So it sounds like my coolant might be pretty diluted by water... not great. Guess if anything was going to break it would've been this weekend when it was like -18 overnight so could be worse but looks like I've got some flushing to do still.
I'm currently working through a warm heat output issue in an '00. An IR thermometer, pointed at a vent, measured max heat output was 70*F. I flushed the heater core overnight using a pond fountain pump to cycle Prestone flush through the heater core (forward, reverse, forward flow), which improved output to 125*F but the temp slowly dropped with the fan on high. Last night I removed the blower fan then cleaned out the fins and heater core compartment, drained the coolant, and pulled the t-stat. The t-stat spring seemed weak, so I'll install a new one tonight. Hopefully this will bring the heat output up to ~140*. If not, I'll have to check the blend door. . .
Let me know how that goes! I might end up chasing it like this too if the flushes don't do the job. I don't have an IR thermometer, but I definitely wouldn't call it anything more than "slightly warm". New Tstat already, though.

No problem with heat but I run the hardtop. We had 40 below last week, and the TJ was plenty warm.

Needed a heater core a few years ago and since my AC is disconnected, we hooked the heater hoses thru it.
Heres the temp out of a new heater core, 100F

IMG_0021.jpeg

Heres the temp thru the AC evaporator, 130F

DSCN0856.jpeg

Ibasket I will check my dash vent discharge temp soon and let you know what I find.
My TJ is OK as far as output. I never run the fan over the 2nd position after it melted down the heater control:rolleyes:.
I guess it all depends what your used to.

Ibasket I will check my dash vent discharge temp soon and let you know what I find.
My TJ is OK as far as output. I never run the fan over the 2nd position after it melted down the heater control:rolleyes:.
I guess it all depends what your used to.
Thanks! Although I don't honestly have anything to use to measure mine... It melted it?? Yours must work WELL.

Although I'm convinced at this point something needs to be done. After about 25mins on the highway at full heat + full fan I was very happy to run my cold hands under some warm water at home... a far cry from any kind of "cooking" you all are describing