How warm is the inside of your TJ?

Sounds nice, that's what I want

I'm just being a schmo-

It's should be pretty comfy honestly...with an uninsulated top they cool off quick...but really you should be able to drive around in shorts all year .....these things heat up great with full doors...and hard tops do a little better than soft tops.

If they have full carpet it's better.

Heated seats are super, and affordable these days.

In NJ, where the weather drops to 15 degrees some nights in deep winter, my Jeep gets blazing hot with only a soft top. TJ heat and even the AC, is amazing.

In NJ, where the weather drops to 15 degrees some nights in deep winter, my Jeep gets blazing hot with only a soft top. TJ heat and even the AC, is amazing.
Anybody remember the CJ-5 and 7's, if you wanted to know the interior temp, just look on the bank clock. Same inside as out.

Reactions: Moon Eyes
Heated seats are definitely in the plans... maybe a bit later. They're great not only for cold days, but for the less-than-warm days that still let you run without a top. I think so, anyways.

My plan currently is to try the reverse heater flush. Anything else I can try to fix it before I know the core needs to be replaced?

Was this heat issue a problem before? How does it work at 20* temps outside?
I bought it in August, so I guess it's always been like this. Just not a lot of driving this winter yet. It puts out lukewarm air no matter what temp it is outside, even with the motor at operating temp.

I bought it in August, so I guess it's always been like this. Just not a lot of driving this winter yet. It puts out lukewarm air no matter what temp it is outside, even with the motor at operating temp.
Ok, just wondering if it was just the below zero temps. If it’s not pushing you out of the Jeep in the twenties then there may be a problem. grab the meat thermometer from the kitchen and put it in the dash vent to get a baseline temperature for a comparison for after your repairs.
Also check your coolant mixture. Too much coolant, or too little, to water ratio can be a hinderance to performance in cold or hot weather.

Newbie here. Have you checked your blend door? My 2000 door was warped and the heat and cold was not as good as it should be. I replaced the door and got my a/c and heat back. There is an aftermarket door replacement that does not require removal of the dash.

Haven’t seen any sub zero temps this winter, just a number of single digits. I regularly drive to work comfortably in short sleeves after letting the Jeep warm up for 10 or so minutes, even when it is sub zero. I rarely turn the fan above 3, as there is a fair temperature drop on 4. 1&2 are the same temp outflow. End of last winter the heater was noticeably struggling on output, flushing fixed the issue.

Fan 1&2:
B12A55DB-B3AA-467C-8C35-DF7B361635BD.jpeg

Fan 3:
EE03C19F-94E4-4D03-9F44-A1158D18E6E3.jpeg

Fan 4:
79E332BC-730E-4926-96BB-92A544D2EAC2.jpeg

Mine has the soft top, I replaced the seized blower motor and the resistor last year and as long as I have it recirculate the air inside the vehicle it will get toasty after about 5-10 minutes. Even in sub 20 degree weather like we just had here in North Texas.

Reactions: mushdogs
End of last winter the heater was noticeably struggling on output, flushing fixed the issue.
I think this is my first bet, do you mean the "reverse flush" for the core, or just a coolant flush?
I replaced the seized blower motor and the resistor last year
What was this like when it failed?

I think part of my problem might be that my coolant is diluted, since when I did coolant flushes using the radiator petcock instead of the block plug I probably left some of the distilled water inside the block.
Have you checked your blend door? My 2000 door was warped and the heat and cold was not as good as it should be. I replaced the door and got my a/c and heat back. There is an aftermarket door replacement that does not require removal of the dash.
I have not checked that... how did you determine yours wasn't working? Do you have a link to that part?

I think this is my first bet, do you mean the "reverse flush" for the core, or just a coolant flush?

I think part of my problem might be that my coolant is diluted, since when I did coolant flushes using the radiator petcock instead of the block plug I probably left some of the distilled water inside the block.

I have not checked that... how did you determine yours wasn't working? Do you have a link to that part?
I back flushed the core. Went from I think it was around 70° output to the pics I posted. Got a nice bucket full of lovely looking coolant. My issue was I flushed the radiator in the fall, but did not back flush the core separately when I did. By the end of winter I was driving to work wearing my anorak and beaver mittens. Damn thing was never warm.

Generally one of the more effective approaches to flushing the heater core is to remove the heater hoses (engine end) and make a temp garden hose adapter on one end, then run clean water thru each hose from both directions.

Or you can just YOLO it. Duct tape and a Z kink in the garden hose.

Never even tried the heater in my TJ its not cold enough, actually I have never needed a car heater in Western Australia. Our winter temps you guys are already taking your tops off! I would run topless all winter if it didn't rain so much, summer here its too hot most of the day time to run topless the air temp in the afternoon can make it unbearable.