How would you store a Jeep you want to keep a secret for 16 years?

Jeffreybomb

Póg mo thóin!
Supporting Member
Suggested listening: "Red Barchetta"

I had a random thought that it would be a fun ongoing project to buy an inexpensive Jeep and rehab it over a number of years and hand it over to my kiddo when he's able to drive. I'm somewhat worried that by the time 2035 rolls around, many parts for even TJs — let alone CJs and older — will be more difficult to come by and much more expensive.

So, realistically (I understand the heavy, heavy irony in that word given this topic), how would you store a Jeep that you want to keep a secret for 16 years?

Hide it in plain sight...........hear me out, you could tell him that you doing a rebuild for your self and get him to help you out with it...then on his 16th birthday hand him the keys.
He'd appreciate it more that you and him had worked on it together.

Hide it in plain sight...........hear me out, you could tell him that you doing a rebuild for your self and get him to help you out with it...then on his 16th birthday hand him the keys.
He'd appreciate it more that you and him had worked on it together.
I did this with a vintage "muscle bike" for my boy. I had him helping me out with all the clean-up and repairs, and he was saying how cool it was, and how much he wished we would keep it. Well, with Christmas only a few days away, I told him it was already sold, and that the guy would be picking it up from me at like 3:00am Christmas Eve, to surprise his boy on Christmas morning. I even did a fake phone conversation on Christmas Eve, knowing full well my son was listening to every word I was saying. Imagine his surprise when his last gift was out on the front porch. I asked him to grab something off the porch for me, and when he opened the door, he just stood there, completely dumbfounded and confused. It was the best!

Great suggestion, @Kiwi TJ!!! It gets my vote!(y)

I did this with a vintage "muscle bike" for my boy. I had him helping me out with all the clean-up and repairs, and he was saying how cool it was, and how much he wished we would keep it. Well, with Christmas only a few days away, I told him it was already sold, and that the guy would be picking it up from me at like 3:00am Christmas Eve, to surprise his boy on Christmas morning. I even did a fake phone conversation on Christmas Eve, knowing full well my son was listening to every word I was saying. Imagine his surprise when his last gift was out on the front porch. I asked him to grab something off the porch for me, and when he opened the door, he just stood there, completely dumbfounded and confused. It was the best!

haha I love that......

Not a problem for me. My Son and Grandson have not earned the right to even think about owning my TJ. It's not a god given right, it's something to be earned. By having your son help you with "your" Jeep, you will know if he deserves it when the time comes and, you will know that he knows the Jeep well and can maintain it the way you would .

Reactions: Squatch
Buy a shipping container for the backyard and lock it in...

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
This!
remove the tires and all fluids

also, if you could seal it and fill it with just nitrogen... prevent any corrosion

Last edited:
Reactions: fxrsliberty

I like to take my nieces and nephews to Disneyworld . Then take them to an abandoned warehouse , and tell them Disneyworld burned. They cry for like 6 hours , but deep down inside, they think it’s a good joke.

I really like the ideas of working on it with him then someday when it’s right hand him the keys, you’ll know for Shute both he and the Jeep will be a perfect match. If you were hell bent on hiding it then buy an old shed it will fit in long before the Jeep. Get him used to the fact that nothings of interest to him is inside then lock it up. Later hide the Jeep and hope he stays out, might work if you got the kind of space a couple of sheds seems normal? Wouldn’t of worked for me as a kid...father son project!

And the rest of the story is...? C'mon. Gotta hear it! ;)
Not much to the story. Typical child labor, will work for food and candy.
But really. I remember the lawn was in sad shape due to the So. Cal. summers. So we ripped it out and threw out some grass seed. Little did I know, it was St. Augustine grass. The reel type push mover that I've been using was ok for the old grass but, this S. A. shit was a mofo for a kid using a push mower.
Then one day he shows up with a used, 3hp mower. Not running of course. So we work on it a bit, get a few new parts and vroom vroom!!
Time to earn my keep and start mowing ours and my neighbors yards.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and Squatch
Not much to the story. Typical child labor, will work for food and candy.
But really. I remember the lawn was in sad shape due to the So. Cal. summers. So we ripped it out and threw out some grass seed. Little did I know, it was St. Augustine grass. The reel type push mover that I've been using was ok for the old grass but, this S. A. shit was a mofo for a kid using a push mower.
Then one day he shows up with a used, 3hp mower. Not running of course. So we work on it a bit, get a few new parts and vroom vroom!!
Time to earn my keep and start mowing ours and my neighbors yards.
I remember towing my lawn mower around behind my bicycle, making my rounds mowing yards for income. Simpler times, to be sure!

To add full circle to my story.
Living in the Inland Empire of So. Cal. and mowing lawns at a couple different houses we lived in, we moved the the mountains. No more lawn mowing!!. But now, oh boy, pine needles to rake.
So after 30+ years of that, my wife and I are moving to Missoula MT. and what else, a lawn.
But at least I got to buy a new Honda mower.

Abandoned mine shaft....

Burieddmc.jpg

Back when I was in high school I bought my first motorcycle. We had 3 major rules growing up while we lived under our parent's roof:
1. No Tattoos
2. No Piercings
3. No Motorcycles
So like the second day of my senior year I split straight from school, picked up a guy I had worked with during the summer who's brother had a friend selling a Kawasaki Ninja 250 for cheap and he lived like 2.5 hours away. We took my truck out there. I test drove the bike (had never been on a motorcycle besides like 5 min on a dirt bike once). Bought it. Drove back. Unloaded the bike at my former coworkers house (who happened to live just slightly further than walking distance away). And I was home in time for dinner. I spend the next few months going over to his place, getting the bike out, and teaching myself to ride. Finally I was forced to tell my parents. My youth pastor was one of the few that knew about the bike and my parents had talked with him saying they felt like I had been hiding something so he told me "You have 12 hours to tell them or I do". So after riding for about 3 months I told my parents. I had had actually gone and taken the motorcycle license test earlier that week and was about to license, title, and insure it the next week anyways. Ha ha. So that's how i hid something like a Jeep for about 90 days, good luck with 16 years...

I remember towing my lawn mower around behind my bicycle, making my rounds mowing yards for income. Simpler times, to be sure!
I remember doing that .

And yard darts .

Pine cone battles.

Doing things because we were told to.

Mom locking us outside .

Getting our butts beat.

Sitting between mom and dad on the couch thinking, I shouldn’t be watching this.

Bottle rocket battles.

Altering report cards.

Dogs eating homework. Lots of it.

My evel kneviel toy.

The president killing all 3 channels.

Vhr’s

Johnny Carson .

Steve Martin and so many more.