Howdy from Aggieland, TX!

Mack McLaughlin

Howdy-
I have a 97 TJ 4-Banger named "Gem" (as in "she's a real gem") that I bought when I was recruiting in New England.

She has a bunch of rust (mostly surface luckily) so I am tearing her down to the frame and building her up to be bullet proof so my 3 year old can drive it when she gets her license. If it's done by then of course.

In the intermediary I will continue to convince my wife into a JKU.

I'm happy to be here!

Mack

Reactions: Chris
Army recruiting?

Sounds like you've got a project on your hands, but it should be a fun one. The little one will appreciate it when she's older if you do indeed hand it down. Nothing beats driving a Jeep with no top or doors.

Marine Corps recruiting.

Heck of a project so far. I listen to lectures while working on her.

I will indeed pass it down... when I'm done playing with her of course!

You have about 12 years to get this done soldier. By then you'll be so enamored that you won't be able to let her go. Just sayin'! Welcome from a fellow Texan. Hill Country.

You have about 12 years to get this done soldier. By then you'll be so enamored that you won't be able to let her go. Just sayin'! Welcome from a fellow Texan. Hill Country.

Thanks for the welcome!

I already am fully enamored. I bought it in 2015 and had a lot of fun before I actually had time to start the build in full! In the mean time, I'm sure I will find another TJ that is looking for a loving home

Thanks for the welcome!

I already am fully enamored. I bought it in 2015 and had a lot of fun before I actually had time to start the build in full! In the mean time, I'm sure I will find another TJ that is looking for a loving home
We need to see pics of this Gem. It's tradition around here.

This thread is worthless without pics

What do you have planned for the Gem?

Reactions: Boinked
This is what she looked like when I first got her

J2.JPG
J7.JPG
And then after I put on the boat sides and some big tires
J8.JPG

Reactions: Gregg1LE
Now she looks like this. Work in Progress! But coming along!

J11.jpeg
J9.jpeg
J10.jpeg
J12.jpeg

My plans are the following: Get the frame sanded and lined and fix the rotted out body panels. After that... make sure I have fully working parts. Some rebuild, some new. I will likely put a fuel cell in it instead of the current tank on my garage floor. Deciding if I will upgrade the engine or not but, I will be doing a tummy tuck either way. Other than that... I have no idea and am always up to suggestions.

Reactions: Gregg1LE