Howdy from East Tennessee

Robnfl

Howdy all,

The wife and I just purchased a 2006 red TJ (X) soft top, automatic with 77k miles. We were looking for a towable vehicle for our RV and was keeping an eye on craigslist for a suitable vehicle. I just happened to be looking at Craigslist when this vehicle popped up. The jeep was advertised as a “flat tow ready” vehicle, so I contacted the owner, especially since it had relatively few miles on it. I know that finding an older jeep, at least in my area, with low mileage is very rare. Fortunately, I was the first person to contact the seller. We immediately went and looked at the vehicle. Not only did it have low mileage, but the body and frame are in excellent condition and it was completely rigged to tow by an RV with all the necessary equipment included. Well, needless to say we purchased it that afternoon.

This is my first jeep and its quite a bit different from our current vehicles, a 2014 Raptor and 2014 Caddy SRX. In fact, it took me a few minutes to figure out how to roll down the windows…where’s the button…a crank, really? Anyways, I plan on using it not only as a dinghy, but as a buzz around town hooptie to keep from racking up more miles on my Raptor. Like most vehicles I have owned, I can’t keep from modifying it. I’ve already ordered 1 ¼” spacers to raise the seats up and I’m trying to decide on a way to improve the headlights.

Anyways, it’s a fun vehicle to drive around and since I live in the mountains of East Tennessee, I will get some use out of the four-wheel drive.

Rob

2018-11-01-17-41-26.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I haven’t been here long but the amount of reading and learning is overwhelming and helpful. Also I am a TN jeeper so welcome!

Thanks guys/gals for the warm welcome.

Chris - LOL, yup I already read your extensive post concerning headlight options, it is very informative. I don't have any other immediate mod plans, although I'll probably install a dash mount that will accommodate a GPS.

Smokngun - I'm in Maryville, just outside of Knoxville. I'm staring at the Great Smoky National Park out my living-room window. The wife and I will be in Nashville December 6th to watch a Titans' game.

Rob

Reactions: Chris
That would be a dream to live that close to the mountains. I have family in Lenior City.

Yeah, it is pretty nice in the mountains. I actually live on the Chilhowee Mountain, right off of the foothills parkway.

Welcome from NY...I hope to retire in your state in the next 10 years...not sure where yet!

Thanks Cliffish. When I retired in '12 we wanted to retire to TN. It took us 3 years to find the right place, but it was worth it, we really enjoy living in this part of the country!

Welcome from Texas and fellow model X'er !

Thanks Gregg!

Hi and welcome. I'm right down the road in White Pine. Moved here 2 years ago from Mass, and still cant get over the beauty of the area. I love seeing the mountains every day, just awesome!

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking jeep.

Welcome to the forum! I grew up near Chilhowee Mtn and now live in Knoxville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk