Howling noise coming from engine bay

jeepXcore

TJ Enthusiast
So I noticed my engine has been producing this howling noise upon a cold start for the first 15 minutes of driving or so, doesn't matter what gear it's in. I sprayed some Liquid Wrench belt/chain lube on the pulleys and that made it go away temporarily.

Only thing I can think of is I cleaned the engine bay with Simply Green...dunno if it stripped the lubricant off the pulleys or not. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably a worn serpentine belt. The dressing doesn't fix anything. In use, a belt should not slip. The dressing actually allows it to slip, but since it is a lubricant, you don't hear the tell tale noise.

X2 on the belt. If it's not worn or cracked, you may have moved some grease/contamination from something else to the belt or pulleys when you used the simple green. Hit both sides of the belt while it's running with the garden hose for a while. That may clean the belt and pulleys off and save it.

I had a similar situation with a few drops of coolant which wasted a fairly new belt. I ended up scrubbing and rinsing each pulley and had to replace the belt to get rid of the noise.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: jeepXcore
Glad to hear it was likely just that. I'm late to the party, but that's what I had suspected as well.

So I noticed my engine has been producing this howling noise upon a cold start for the first 15 minutes of driving or so, doesn't matter what gear it's in. I sprayed some Liquid Wrench belt/chain lube on the pulleys and that made it go away temporarily.

Only thing I can think of is I cleaned the engine bay with Simply Green...dunno if it stripped the lubricant off the pulleys or not. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Im hearing the same noise, same symptoms

Generally an idler pulley going south. Do yourself a favor and opt for the factory Mopar one.
20160106_100920.jpg
20160106_161556.jpg