How's it going over there Frank?

I'd love to see some of the computer models or maps that show potential affected areas.
I'm pulling this from memory, so don't beat me too badly if it doesn't work out. Sources for maps and computer models include: The Oregon State Geologist, USGS, UofO, OSU, UW and University of Hawaii. UofH has some software that will allow you to see the models and play with them a little. ODOT has some pretty good stuff, but I don't think it's publicly available without an FOI act request. ESRI has a good selection of data and maps, but they are REALLY expensive just to satisfy your curiosity. I'll check and see what I have laying around, just for giggles. There is a data CD graveyard in the spare bedroom that is now approaching a couple of terabytes in size. Luckily, it's all raw data, so I don't need an application from a software foundry that went out of business twenty years ago to access it.

Reactions: Chris
Yeah, the whole earthquake thing is scary. Makes me think about moving somewhere where I'd take less of an impact!

Yet you have all these Californians moving here in masses, with no idea what's about to hit them.

I wouldn't worry about earthquakes too much Chris. There's a ton of other stuff that will get you before the Cascadia subduction zone does. It operates on geologic time, and that's a whole lot slower than human time. If you have everything covered for the more probable events, "the big one" will be just another pain in the ass. Frank's forest fires, on the other hand, operate in human time, they are probable on a yearly basis and are very destructive.

The only things that make me crazy about Californians is their politics and their culture. I've found it best to just ignore both. I'm good to go, my family is good to go, my friends are good to go... That's a pretty strong community to rely on right there. There will be a thinning of the herd through natural selection for everyone else.

I hear ya. Lately I've been really worried about the whole earthquake thing for some reason, but you're right, there's far more important things to worry about.

I'll tell you, I am just happy we got out of Portland. The politics up there and the culture are just toxic (to me at least), and I agree with you 100% about the Californians. I don't care that they are from California, it's just their politics and their culture they bring with them.

Earthquakes capture the imagination, don't they? Oldest daughter was all spun up over earthquakes awhile back after she discovered a web site that listed every earthquake in the world and mapped them in various colors according to big they were. I was getting daily reports about them from her via text message. She's calmed down now.

No doubt! I won't even go into Portland now, except for short runs to purchase very specific items that aren't available any where else. Maybe once every couple of months or so? It is a toxic culture up there. (good term for it by the way) The sense of entitlement, the dependency, the political correctness, the intolerance just blows me away. What are all those special snowflakes going to do, how are they going to react when faced with any small challenge? I mean, what the hell is a micro-agression?! A trigger warning? A safe space?

But then, I'm just a crusty old fart with a 45 and a bad attitude. What do I know?

The news said that there was an earthquake down in Blaine and Jerry's neck of the woods.

Mother nature treads lightly in the Northeast part of the country, no earthquakes, rarely tornadoes, no forest fires to speak of, so we deal with the occasional hurricane which is even pretty rare but nasty when they show up. Sandy was crazy but really the only nasty bit of Mother nature I have ever experienced here. The only real threat they keep an eye on is the condition of islands in the Azore's chain which is a very active earthquake zone and they say one of the islands is ready to split in half and slide into the Atlantic causing a tidal wave that will in theory wipe out the east coast.

Earthquakes capture the imagination, don't they? Oldest daughter was all spun up over earthquakes awhile back after she discovered a web site that listed every earthquake in the world and mapped them in various colors according to big they were. I was getting daily reports about them from her via text message. She's calmed down now.

Yep, I've been like that for the past month, way too paranoid about it. But I think I've put it past me now!

No doubt! I won't even go into Portland now, except for short runs to purchase very specific items that aren't available any where else. Maybe once every couple of months or so? It is a toxic culture up there. (good term for it by the way) The sense of entitlement, the dependency, the political correctness, the intolerance just blows me away. What are all those special snowflakes going to do, how are they going to react when faced with any small challenge? I mean, what the hell is a micro-agression?! A trigger warning? A safe space?

It really is toxic. Aside from the traffic being absolutely a nightmare and real estate being insane, the whole politically correct culture up there is just absurd. When we moved, I told our realtor that even if we could afford a house in the greater Portland area, I wouldn't want to live there anymore no matter what. I told her I was sick of it and just wanted out! I'm enjoying Salem much, much more. It's a totally different vibe.

The news said that there was an earthquake down in Blaine and Jerry's neck of the woods.

I saw that! @Jerry Bransford and @mrblaine, how are things down there?

Mother nature treads lightly in the Northeast part of the country

Minus the insane blizzards they get in the Winter and the unbearable humid Summers, right? Or am I wrong? That's just what I pickup from reading the news.

Minus the insane blizzards they get in the Winter and the unbearable humid Summers, right? Or am I wrong? That's just what I pickup from reading the news.
Yeah we can get a bit of snow here on occasion and the summer heat/humidity is one of the main reasons I want out of here to the Oregon coast. But beyond that it's pretty docile here.

Had I been thinking Chris I would have made it sound horrifying and death defying. We was a-trying to hang onto the bed but it was just a buckin' and trying to flip us off onto the floor, the wife and hound dogs were just a-howling in abject fear. :D

Last edited: