HP30 re-gear help (oil baffle)

HornedToad

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I am regearing my hp30 and my pinion is a bit too deep. Looks like I need to either ditch the big oil slinger directly behind the pinion head or the baffle directly behind the inner pinion race. Which one is worth keeping and does more to feed oil to the outer pinion bearing?

7C4D75D2-4554-499B-AFB4-EE6AB410E11D.jpeg

How thick is your oil slinger ? Maybe a thinner one would help .

The factory uses the oil slinger to set pinion depth, they come in various thicknesses. Your install kit will come with a thin one, use that and then adjust pinion depth with shims behind the bearing pressed into the housing.

The factory uses the oil slinger to set pinion depth, they come in various thicknesses. Your install kit will come with a thin one, use that and then adjust pinion depth with shims behind the bearing pressed into the housing.
My revolution kit did not come with another one and mine is .060. I’m just going to build it without the baffle. The oil baffle is .020 and the shim stack I came up with is .016.

You do not want to run without either slinger on a HP30 or you run the risk of a bearing failure. What you need is baffle PN 30764 which is the non selectable so you can make a proper shim stack.