HPTuner MPVI2 & VCM Suite Review: 100% Full PCM Access For 2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJs

The price for that kind of control is really pretty reasonable. And if I can just switch things back on (provided that nothing was removed from the Jeep)? I'd be willing to try running it through a test, just to find out. :) I think you've just added something to the shopping list...

I think so too. $400 for everything isn't bad at all, especially considering what you can do with it. Like I said, I didn't even get into the actual tuning of the engine yet!

So is there a tune on it that you can load or do you pull the OEM tune off, modify it and then put it back on?

You pull the OE tune off of it and then create a copy, which you then modify and tune. I always save an original copy when doing stuff like this, just incase you need to revert to stock.

To tune it properly (with or without forced induction) you ideally want to use a wideband O2 sensor which you would weld another bung for after the pre-cat O2 sensors.

You’d use the VCM scanner to do real-time data logging while you drive. You’d read the data and then edit the air fuel ratios, timing, etc.

You would continue to do this multiple times. Each time you tune it, you would go drive it again and collect more data.

After doing this enough (and ideally getting it on a dyno as well), you would have a pretty solid tune.

I don’t know how much extra power you could get out of the stock engine, but I have to imagine you definitely could get some if you knew what you were doing.

For the supercharger though, this will be the difference between blowing up the engine and not. The stock tune will be way too lean for a supercharger.

Very cool. I'm subscribing to see how this works out for you. Also for future reference.

...Not to mentioned I can't think of anything cooler than talking about Linux in a Jeep thread. I've been exclusively Linux (OK, Linux with a Windows VM for work software) for about 6 years. Great to hear others using Linux too.

What is Linux??? so does this thing have an autotune feature where you can set a Fuel/air ratio for acceleration and it will do the calculations to get you there?

What is Linux???

I don't want to side track so I'll keep it simple. Linux is an operating system. Just like Windows 10 is an operating system or Mac has OSX. They are all operating systems.

Linux is open source. That means the code is available for anyone to look at and change. It is not controlled by a single company like Microsoft or Apple. Instead, it is developed by a community with contributions from many companies like RedHat, ubuntu, Suse even Microsoft submits contributions to the code.

It is more stable than Windows and less vulnerable to virus. It is the operating system that 90% of the worlds super computers and servers run on. It also happens to be the kernel that your Android phone uses. Although Android adds other things on top of it. So your Android phone is going to be different than a Linux desktop system like ubuntu.

You can install Linux on almost any old computer to bring new life into aging hardware. It runs with much less resources than windows and yet is arguably better looking. The only downside to Linux is that because it is not Windows and it is not Mac, there is very limited proprietary software such as Quickbooks or Photoshop available for it. Fortunetaly, most distributions will come with a full suite of programs such as LibreOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird, photo software and other commonly used software so you may not miss your old software anyway.

If you just want to give it a try without installing it, you can simply burn a dvd and boot it right from your computer without installing. That is called a livecd.

There are hundreds of different options available and the amount of choices can be overwhelming. But if your interested, I'll post 3 different versions based on Ubuntu below. Ubuntu is typically considered the most popular for new Linux users. All 3 systems I posted below have the same core operating systems, but they use a different 'desktop' and have some different programs. So some will look more like Apple and some will look more like Windows. All are good. I personally use Kubuntu because it has the most features, but I love the clean and simple design of ubuntubudgie.

https://www.ubuntu.com/

Ubuntu_18.10.png

https://ubuntubudgie.org/

budgie_desktop_ubuntu_menu.png

https://kubuntu.org/

kubuntu.png

Kubuntu with a few preference setting changes. To give a little more of a Mac look.
3pN4I1P.png

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac and Chris
@Chris Planning stage 3 any time soon? Haha. This is actually really convenient for us TJ owners. Will purchase one eventually...

Well, according to Charles, my supercharger should be ready next week. So, I'll have a supercharger to put on and tune very shortly!

so does this thing have an autotune feature where you can set a Fuel/air ratio for acceleration and it will do the calculations to get you there?

No, there isn't an autotune feature. You've got to tune it yourself or hire a tuner (there's tons of them) who knows what they're doing to tune it for you.

I've tuned a lot of forced induction vehicles in the past. I'm not as good as some of these professional guys, but I'm good enough to make it run right and get more power out of it with forced induction.

Usually when in doubt, it's better to have more fuel than not enough. Neither is good, but running too lean is when you tend to blow holes in pistons, especially once you add forced induction to the mix.

Reactions: derekmac
Very cool write up!

How much boost are you running?

For guys with 97-04 Jeeps Syked has excellent tuning software:

http://sykedecutuning.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=101_120&product_id=170

B&G Performance is awful, do not let them touch your Jeep! After 6 months they couldn't get my supercharged tune even close!

I had FRP do my tune remotely, he had it perfect in 2 days!

Once I install it it should be running around 11 psi.

Interesting. Can you verify that the Syked software does indeed provide full access to the PCM like this HPTuners software does? If so, you've just given fellow TJ owners another invaluable resource!

In regards to B&G. I've never actually done business with them, but I've spoken with the owner (David Kasper) a number of times. He's one of the original Chrysler engineers who helped design the TJ.

That sucks to hear though!

Josh Pearl is going to be tuning mine remotely. He's got a good base tune, but we're going to dial it in with a number of remote sessions until it's as good as we can get it... then stick it on a dyno to get even more useful data.

Once I install it it should be running around 11 psi.

Interesting. Can you verify that the Syked software does indeed provide full access to the PCM like this HPTuners software does? If so, you've just given fellow TJ owners another invaluable resource!

In regards to B&G. I've never actually done business with them, but I've spoken with the owner (David Kasper) a number of times. He's one of the original Chrysler engineers who helped design the TJ.

That sucks to hear though!

Josh Pearl is going to be tuning mine remotely. He's got a good base tune, but we're going to dial it in with a number of remote sessions until it's as good as we can get it... then stick it on a dyno to get even more useful data.

Wow 11PSI, that thing is going to MOVE!!! I'm running 6PSI on mine, going up in boost eventually.

Yes Syked is used extensively on Jeeps and other JTEC Mopar vehicles, it's excellent tuning software.

Dave can do some cool things to JTEC PCM's on the bench, but he couldn't get my Jeep running very well, and wasted a lot of my time and money.

Flyin Ryan (Ryan Hogan) tuned my Jeep, he has an excellent reputation with boosted and stroker 4.0's. He uses Skyed tuning software and loves it.

https://www.frptuning.com/

I'm familiar with HP Tuners from the GM LS world, that is some awesome software!

Reactions: Chris
Wow 11PSI, that thing is going to MOVE!!! I'm running 6PSI on mine, going up in boost eventually.

Yes Syked is used extensively on Jeeps and other JTEC Mopar vehicles, it's excellent tuning software.

Dave can do some cool things to JTEC PCM's on the bench, but he couldn't get my Jeep running very well, and wasted a lot of my time and money.

Flyin Ryan (Ryan Hogan) tuned my Jeep, he has an excellent reputation with boosted and stroker 4.0's. He uses Skyed tuning software and loves it.

https://www.frptuning.com/

I'm familiar with HP Tuners from the GM LS world, that is some awesome software!

The 11 psi is due to the fact that my system uses water-to-air cooling and an aftercooler.

What does JTEC refer to? I don’t think I’ve heard that term used before.

Thanks for sharing that info on Syked Tuning. I honestly hadn’t heard of those guys until now, and I know a lot of people have been looking for a similar option to tune their 97-04 models.

The 11 psi is due to the fact that my system uses water-to-air cooling and an aftercooler.

What does JTEC refer to? I don’t think I’ve heard that term used before.

Thanks for sharing that info on Syked Tuning. I honestly hadn’t heard of those guys until now, and I know a lot of people have been looking for a similar option to tune their 97-04 models.

I have a water to air intercooler too, but live in Louisiana and wanted to make sure my IAT's stay low in 105F and 90% humidity lol But they did all summer, so I'm comfortable going up a few pounds. What system are you running? I have a modified Kenne Bell kit with custom tuning.

JTEC is the type of software Mopar uses in their PCM's. All TJ's run JTEC controllers.

No problem, I've done a ton of research into this, and considered tuning myself. But I had no experience so I let a professional do it. Us TJ owners did'nt have a lot of tuning options until the past several years.

Could I trip all the readiness monitors to ready? Getting annoyed with emmissions testing considering I have no CELs actively.

I have a water to air intercooler too, but live in Louisiana and wanted to make sure my IAT's stay low in 105F and 90% humidity lol But they did all summer, so I'm comfortable going up a few pounds. What system are you running? I have a modified Kenne Bell kit with custom tuning.

JTEC is the type of software Mopar uses in their PCM's. All TJ's run JTEC controllers.

No problem, I've done a ton of research into this, and considered tuning myself. But I had no experience so I let a professional do it. Us TJ owners did'nt have a lot of tuning options until the past several years.

I'm running the Magnum Powers kit which you can see here:
https://magnumpowers.com/product/ornare-et/

Ahh, I didn't realize that's what JTEC was.

I know the basics on how to tune, but I still want someone to tune mine right off the bat who knows what they are doing, so I can learn from the experience, and not blow it up the first time around at least!

I've compiled all the tuning options for our TJs into this helpful thread:
97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ ECU / PCM Tuning Options

My hope is that that thread will help others in the future so that they know that tuning options DO exist!

Reactions: Alex0413
Could I trip all the readiness monitors to ready? Getting annoyed with emmissions testing considering I have no CELs actively.

Possibly, though I'm not sure. All you have to do to get them ready though is go drive for 100 miles or so.

Possibly, though I'm not sure. All you have to do to get them ready though is go drive for 100 miles or so.
One of mine would never trip, turned out there was a tsb on this for 05-06. Local dealer performed the fix and I pass emmisions. TSB is covered for life of vehicle if it exhibits this issue.

One of mine would never trip, turned out there was a tsb on this for 05-06. Local dealer performed the fix and I pass emmisions. TSB is covered for life of vehicle if it exhibits this issue.

Oh yes, you're right about that TSB. I had almost forgotten about it!

Chris- What made you choose the Magnumpowers over the Boosted Tech this time? Was it the greater boost capability /intercooler? I recently got HP tuners as well in prep for my supercharger project. Unfortunately there's not a ton of info regarding Jeep and HPtuners out there or in their repository. Any feedback or lessons learned either you or Alex could offer about either supercharger product would be greatly appreciated.