HPTuner MPVI2 & VCM Suite Review: 100% Full PCM Access For 2005-2006 Jeep Wrangler TJs

I have a 2004. SCT and Syked are the only software that can be used to tune 97-04. Hp Tuners and Syked is used on 05-06
Hi guys.
Great forum with plenty of info.
New to Jeeps, so still learning greatly.
If I could ask for a little help regarding the Jeep PCM for you knowledgeable people.
We are having trouble here in Australia with wanting to tune a turbo charged TJ 4.0L 2004 model.
It's a late 2004 model, with the ECU plugs having 4 row wire plugs.
Now the problem we have, is we purchased a 2004 Split Second piggyback ecu, but this is a 3 row wire plug ends, so will NOT plug inline to the ECU plugs. The supplier says we don't need a piggyback ECU, instead tune through the OBD port via tuning software. All I'm reading though, is 2004 models need a piggyback, and the newer 2005 up require tuning software.
So my question is, could my car have the newer updated ECU?
How would be the best way to check to which ECU the car has, to see what option I need?
I don't want to spend money on HP tuners or Diablo units to find it's not compatible with the current ECU!
I'm guessing they changed over to the newer ECU late 2004, so it's a hit or miss which ECU is in the car.
Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated, as modifications to Jeeps here in Australia is very limited.
Cheers and thank you for a great forum.
Paul.

Does it work with any engine? I have a 2.4-liter turbo and I want to try the hptuner but I wasn't sure it will work on it

No, they do not come with a tune.

Is this new or just not good enough?

Screenshot_20200513-141641.jpg

He needs to update his site. He doesn't include those anymore as they aren't very good tunes.

I guess it would be cool if he had a tuner make a basic tune for otherwise stock wranglers with his supercharger that was included. Then the purchaser could tweak it from there.

I guess it would be cool if he had a tuner make a basic tune for otherwise stock wranglers with his supercharger that was included. Then the purchaser could tweak it from there.

You're not going to get much power out of a stock Wrangler with a tune, that's for sure.

You can certainly use this software to tune though, that's what it's for.

You're not going to get much power out of a stock Wrangler with a tune, that's for sure.

You can certainly use this software to tune though, that's what it's for.

No, I meant if Magnum Power had a tune made for a Wrangler that other than their supercharger kit is stock.

No, I meant if Magnum Power had a tune made for a Wrangler that other than their supercharger kit is stock.

Ohhh, yeah I hear you. I think he doesn't want to get into the tuning aspect of it. He's one guy, and a canned tune won't work on just any TJ, since there are a lot of differences with the PCMs over the years.

Reactions: Captain Phoenix
Hello!
Just came across this old thread and was trying to see if some update has happened here?
Background, I've done some mods to mine, bigger throttle body, edelbrock cylinder head, magnaflow all the way with header and stuff and I feel like that my jeep is definitely not performing as it should.
What's the best approach in terms of tune up? I have not done anything to the ignition, other than all new of course.
Thanks!

Last edited: