HPTuners for 97-01 4.0?

You have to use the Beta Version of the software from their website
I used to tune my Audis for different setups and turbo modifications. I am sure the basics are the same. Little timing and little fuel tweak.

Definitely want to give this a try, just thought the 97 units couldn't be modded. Will definitely take a look at it for sure.

I was able to get my old “car stuff” laptop to work and it looks like the beta version Lets you read and store base tune as well as write to the Ecu. Has anyone done this yet and able to keep the new files to run and stay ? Wondering what timing tables can be tweaked as well as fuel.

Last edited:
The software needs the latest .net version to run the software. Do we know what USB cables work with the software? My older OBD2 usb cable is not being recognized.

Last edited:
The software needs the latest .net version to run the software. Do we know what USB cables work with the software? My older OBD2 usb cable is not being recognized.

Which dongle are you using? I think you have to use the MPVI2. Were downloading my files tomorrow after work. Ill let you know if we run into any issues.

Which dongle are you using? I think you have to use the MPVI2. Were downloading my files tomorrow after work. Ill let you know if we run into any issues.
Something Tells me I have to use their dongle. I was using a USB obd2 aftermarket dongle that I have used for my Audis and VWs since the early 2000s.

Something Tells me I have to use their dongle. I was using a USB obd2 aftermarket dongle that I have used for my Audis and VWs since the early 2000s.
from their website. Vehicles that are only supported by MPVI2 are identified below by a (2) after the vehicle model type.

97-04Wrangler 4.0 (2)

Reactions: Ephry73
With the MPVI2, is it a plug and play on the 97-04 TJ's 4.0? Sounds like something that could be used to optimize a stroker motor too.

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll forward you the stock files
Been gone awhile. bought a replacement computer and learned a bit about HP Tuners. I now have stock files along with the files that come in my "reprogrammed" computer for my stroked engine. still cant see any differences but am not really surprised - long story.

With the MPVI2, is it a plug and play on the 97-04 TJ's 4.0? Sounds like something that could be used to optimize a stroker motor too.
yes it is plug and play, but there is a bit of a learning curve, especially when it comes to getting it to show you the running data. once I got over it, I love this thing.

Heard back from HP Tuners today. They couldn't tell me everything that was available but they did send me a stock file from a 98 to look at using VCM editor. I cant upload the file here but I would be happy to email to anyone that wants to take a look.
Heard back from HP Tuners today. They couldn't tell me everything that was available but they did send me a stock file from a 98 to look at using VCM editor. I cant upload the file here but I would be happy to email to anyone that wants to take a look.
I'd love to look at that file, I'm building a fresh 4.0L with the Edelbrock head [email protected]