Hub centric versus lug centric

Eddie Greenlee

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I just bought some new wheels and they are by no means hub centric.
So are most after market wheels lug centric??
I’m thinking , taking a wheel and tire off and on will be much more difficult right?

uuuuh, huh? the only time I have been told to worry about hub-centric is with wheel spacers, where you want the hub to help support some of the leverage from moving the tires out.

Are you asking how hard it is to change the tires now? if m not mistaken the standard Jeep wheels are "Lug centric" and there not too hard, you just have to line up the wheel and put it on the studs. nothing to be worried about. Now if you don't have studs and have actual lug-bolts that can be a bit of a pain, but again, not a deal killer.

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
uuuuh, huh? the only time I have been told to worry about hub-centric is with wheel spacers, where you want the hub to help support some of the leverage from moving the tires out.

Are you asking how hard it is to change the tires now? if m not mistaken the standard Jeep wheels are "Lug centric" and there not too hard, you just have to line up the wheel and put it on the studs. nothing to be worried about. Now if you don't have studs and have actual lug-bolts that can be a bit of a pain, but again, not a deal killer.
I do have lug nuts.
it’s jut nice to have a ledge to hang the tire on rather than the studs. But the bore of the new wheel is to large to hang the wheel on the hub and then slide the wheel onto the studs.

I don't think I have ever had a "hub-centric" wheel, wouldn't you have to line it up on the studs and slide it all the way down before it would hang on the ledge? seems like not much if any value added to me. might be a little bit stronger because there "holding on" to the axle shaft? but tbh it's negligible at best.

I don't think I have ever had a "hub-centric" wheel, wouldn't you have to line it up on the studs and slide it all the way down before it would hang on the ledge? seems like not much if any value added to me. might be a little bit stronger because there "holding on" to the axle shaft? but tbh it's negligible at best.
Yes sir. Your right. Thanks

Reactions: KingCarGuyZ
In Australia all cars with aftermarket wheels must be hub centric or you risk getting defected. From what I understand all OEM wheels are hub centric so I don't know but suspect it's safer to run hub centric. Having said that, mostly the cops don't even know what hub centric means so it's unlikely to get defected in AU.

It's easy to find rings to fit most aftermarket wheels - I found a set in ebay - and if not there are a few companies that make them up a set to your spec.

In Australia...
https://bsawheels.com.au/shop/acces...FFlHnPRPStzPS4bVTM4RzIpT9ZhE7yKBoC1I8QAvD_BwE
Ebay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=272707079019

Reactions: Eddie Greenlee
This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
In Australia all cars with aftermarket wheels must be hub centric or you risk getting defected. From what I understand all OEM wheels are hub centric so I don't know but suspect it's safer to run hub centric. Having said that, mostly the cops don't even know what hub centric means so it's unlikely to get defected in AU.

It's easy to find rings to fit most aftermarket wheels - I found a set in ebay - and if not there are a few companies that make them up a set to your spec.

In Australia...
https://bsawheels.com.au/shop/acces...FFlHnPRPStzPS4bVTM4RzIpT9ZhE7yKBoC1I8QAvD_BwE
Ebay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/705-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=272707079019
I agree

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
Knick question. Here art two valve stems. One has a screw that screws into the end of it. What’s that for ?

EC0A907D-9B13-4882-B326-3E067C2FA8E7.jpeg

would any of you know the size of the outter hub ring where the wheel hub bore fits over? of the

Timken 513084 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly ?​

1607995547302.png
1607995547302.png