Hulk smash

Ricgowan

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hoping this thread will help me overcome my short attention span (think squirrels on meth), and keep me focused on the big picture as I rebuild this current hulk into The Hulk:
Image (1).jpg

2001 Sahara in Forest Green Pearl, with the 4.0 and manual trans, stock ride height and a whopping 223,000 miles (!). There was a Spiderweb shade under the soft top (surprise!), and the tires were pretty much brand new rubber. Stock axles and gearing, as well as the OE seats and carpeting. I knew there was a bit of rust on the frame when I bought it for the princely sum of $4,200, but for that starting price, I figured repairs are sorta factored in. Paint is really peeling on the hood and fenders, and both fenders are rusted through in the usual spot. The passenger side flare is cracked and will need replacing. There are minor rust spots under each door (surface only), and the hood has one small rusted-through spot, easily repairable.

Since that day (March 2020, just before Covid madness hit Michigan), I have replaced the gas tank skid (rusted to pretty much lace), the fuel pump (died on me on the way to work), spark plugs, done 2 oil changes with Mobil1 and Mystery Oil, the coolant and the transmission fluid. Also, the POS Pioneer radio that came in it with a Boss marine unit and wakeboard speakers. Added grab bars, so She Who Must Be Obeyed can get in easier, but the missus is not really a fan (yet).

20200924_152148.jpg
20200924_152229.jpg

I have budgeted $1,500 for frame repair, since it already has a Safety Cap on the passenger side rear trailing arm area. The driver side is not done yet, and is rusting, but not through yet. Also, the frame cross-member looks to be rusted in place, but I will tackle getting a serious look at it in the spring.

So far, I have also done some cosmetic stuff, painted the headlight rings black and re-painted the tail light guards as well. I've installed heated seats, but the wiring is proving to be a challenge (will need to un-do some of the PO's work).

Goal is to have a nice DD/weekend wheeling toy, so I am thinking lunchbox locker in the front, and maybe a 2.5" lift with 33s. Frame rust repair/prevention is a must, since The Hulk will not be a garage dweller. Mostaliner on the interior floor (Whisky Tango Foxtrot color), and I'm going to learn to paint autobody on this guy! The interior will be touched up as well, thanks to the Sahara Interior paint thread in the Resources sub-forum.

D-slot or round-hole black steel rims, Rancho 5000 shocks, and the XJ steering upgrade. Looking at hard tops, since i have the wiring in place for it. Also thinking about cutting down the stock bumper 3-4 inches on each side for a stubbier look. LED headlights, and black flares all around.

Other stuff will come to me, I'm sure, but that's the gist of it. Plan for now is to trailer it to Moab for the Second Annual TJ Fest in April 2021!

Reactions: Chris
Other stuff will come to me, I'm sure, but that's the gist of it. Plan for now is to trailer it to Moab for the Second Annual TJ Fest in April 2021!

You mean the first annual TJ Fest?

;)

I look forward to following your build (y)

You mean the first annual TJ Fest?

;)

I look forward to following your build (y)
Darnit! Meant 2022, since we've already got a big trip planned for 2021. I've been following the grammar action, though, waiting for it to get ugly (not really)! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
Welcome to the party..... the good news about buying a Jeep like yours is that anything you do would improve it and making it your own....we all have 'to do' lists some longer than others haha.
I do love the classic colours on yours though.

Reactions: Ricgowan
Hulk was having issues after I finally got the heated seats to work, probably because I yanked out a wire jumper that the PO had put in place between two fuses behind the glove box. I had heat, but the blower motor would not run and the dash airbag light was lit. Oddly enough, the backup lights would not come on in reverse either. All these symptoms were resolved by replacing the ignition switch, which was easier than I was expecting. There's a great YouTube video by Overclocked Jeeps showing exactly how.

Also, the big green guy left me stranded at Costco's gas pumps yesterday, when the starter gave up on me. Luckily a Jeep buddy who is also on my hockey team works right across the street. He brought a couple guys out and we push-started Hulk and I drove him home, and ordered a new starter from AutoZone, which got installed this morning.

Today I also took the time to pull the center console and tuck away the wires for the seats, finding 38 cents in the process!