Hummer EV

Yeah, the problem presents itself when towing or long highway driving.

I read an article somewhere recently talking about the Tesla Cybertruck and how all that power and torque to tow sounds awesome, but the fact of the matter is that if you actually tow all that weight, the battery is just going to drain like crazy.

I still think that the ultimate solution is a hybrid. A big battery for in town driving, but an I.C.E. that can be used for towing.
I am actually quite surprised they didn't go with a hybrid for this one.

What exactly happens when you're off in the middle of nowhere like these commercials are showing and you run out of juice?

What exactly happens when you're off in the middle of nowhere like these commercials are showing and you run out of juice?

Precisely why I would never own an EV for any sort of off-road or adventure application.

If I was in the market to spend $112,000 on an electric truck, I'd buy this one over any others I've seen. Personally I think it looks way better than any of the other electric truck (concepts) I've seen, and the performance specs are extremely impressive.

However, if I were buying a truck, I'd need more range and less dependency on locations of charging stations... and I wouldn't spend that kind of money, especially anything less than a 1 ton. I'm not into the whole "supertruck" thing, I need practical.

I think I'd prefer to drive this around town over the new Bronco though.

I'd bet they felt they had to go full electric as this is a "resurrection" of the gas-guzzler nameplate. Gotta wipe the slate.

Reactions: Zorba
There are features that Jeep needs to look into:
Extract Mode - Can raise the vehicle 6".
Front Frunk (Trunk) - Large enclosed storage area.
Topless - 4 removable roof panels that fit in the frunk.

Maybe one day there will be electric charging points in Moab and every major off-road area, but you're going to need A LOT of them, and charging times are going to have to be reduced to something like 5 minutes.

I'm not saying this could never happen, I'm just saying that you'd have to lay down the infrastructure, come up with some pretty revolutionary breakthroughs in battery technology, etc.

All of that is probably a good 30 years away at the very, very least.

For right now I have no qualm whatsoever with electric vehicles. For commuting, driving short distances, and even shorter road trips, I think they are a great solution.

For off-roading, overlanding, or going anywhere off the beaten path for a period of time, I think that we're not even close to being there yet.

Now the hybrid thing, I could see that being a great solution for something like overlanding.

Of course the downside to all of this is that these things are no so friggin' complicated that you can forget doing your own trail repairs for the most part :LOL:

Reactions: Rick Flair
Maybe one day there will be electric charging points in Moab and every major off-road area, but you're going to need A LOT of them, and charging times are going to have to be reduced to something like 5 minutes.

I'm not saying this could never happen, I'm just saying that you'd have to lay down the infrastructure, come up with some pretty revolutionary breakthroughs in battery technology, etc.

All of that is probably a good 30 years away at the very, very least.

For right now I have no qualm whatsoever with electric vehicles. For commuting, driving short distances, and even shorter road trips, I think they are a great solution.

For off-roading, overlanding, or going anywhere off the beaten path for a period of time, I think that we're not even close to being there yet.

Now the hybrid thing, I could see that being a great solution for something like overlanding.

Of course the downside to all of this is that these things are no so friggin' complicated that you can forget doing your own trail repairs for the most part :LOL:
I mean this argument has been around forever. Horseless carriages were criticized as too complicated, unsafe, and no infrastructure to support them. Technology changes very fast. I could see full off road ev's being feasible in half the time. All you need is a good size battery and instead of a spare gas can maybe a solar rechargeable spare battery pack. The other thing is that electric is available everywhere. We don't have to dig holes and bury gas tanks plus get a truck to deliver it. I could easily see trail head charge stations.

Reactions: Reign Mack
I would try to order one today if it had a V8.
Yeah if it came with a Duramax I think they'd have a lot more interest.

So the price tag is around 112K USD for the one shown in the reveal
I'm thinking they might be pricing them so high that no one will actually be brave enough to take it offroad and encounter any of the issues we're talking about.

Reactions: 5632
I saw the commercial as well. It’s pretty impressive. Didn’t know it was going to be $100k+ though. I wonder what the towing capacity is. I imagine high since it’s 1000hp