Hunting season 2017

Rob5589

Certified video trained differential rebuilder
Supporting Member
Alright fellas and ladies, what and where this year? Got your gear ready?

Doing CA D3 as usual and back to ID for elk and deer. I am slacking hard this year, put new strings on my bow two weeks ago and still need a touch of fine tuning. Usually my bow is cased and ready to go at this point.
qVagArrQj_7wkFqPQRzzXr9njJt7QRRCNwBZnUWRc5Z_VKPApEPZDC8WCc0nERswqyvV-VaOEcBzuey5PTK=w359-h638-no.jpg

Reactions: StG58
I haven't been able to hunt deer since my daughters started playing hockey that would be seven years now. Bummer, but its a good trade. Otherwise I always say I am going to start pheasant hunting again but that never seems to work out either. :(

Reactions: Rob5589
I haven't been able to hunt deer since my daughters started playing hockey that would be seven years now. Bummer, but its a good trade. Otherwise I always say I am going to start pheasant hunting again but that never seems to work out either. :(
Take em with you. Mine don't hunt yet but like to go out for the experience.

Early season Elk (got a nice two point bull already picked out) Deer, and whatever blue grouse happens to wander by. I just might hunt with my revolver this year to change things up a bit.

We hammered the grouse last year in ID. They are all over, combo of dusky and ruffed. We ate like kings all week on those critters :D

Reactions: JMT and StG58
Take em with you. Mine don't hunt yet but like to go out for the experience

Hockey. It's quite the weekend sucker. From late September to march. Practice or games pretty much every weekend. Plus I coach much of the time.

No biggie no regrets. We like our hockey.

My high schooler is giving it up though. so there will be a little more free time.

Reactions: StG58 and Rob5589
CA was a bust. Only two little forkies seen, shot right over one. Ended up with fried clutch and toasted idler pulley on the TJ and a torn sidewall on the Silverado. ID up next...

Sorry Rob5589 that California was a bust for you. Congrats on the Idaho Deer and Elk tag. I use to like hunting Idaho until the wolves came in. I hear it's getting good again. We're still hunting A zone deer here in California. Use to bow hunt, but after two shoulder surgeries, Dr said no more.

Reactions: StG58
Not quite hunting but its another thing we like to do.....
Kelly9lbpike.jpeg

My youngest caught this 35" northern all by her self. That was about 8 o'clock this morning.
I have not caught one like that in years.

Idaho; hot, shit ton of Labor Day camper/atv'ers, hot, smoky from fires, hot. Campers left Mon/Tues so the crowd lightened. Very few, like 8, bucks seen, decent amount of does (legal in archery season), grouse pop was low due to late spring rains ruining hatch. Thurs it finally cooled a bit and rained a little. Conditions improved somewhat, this coming week will probably be great. Missed a chip shot at 38 on a fattie doe :mad: Never got the opportunity at a buck. Got in on some elk, two were bomber bulls, but couldn't get close enough for a shot. Saw several moose, extremely hard to draw and resident only. So no meat this year as of yet, I may go back in rifle as the deer tag is good for both seasons and entire state sans special draw zones. Elk is archery and zone specific. But, good times with friends and seeing cool stuff always wins out.

Some of the terrain...
FjZZH7kvYjk8EV91i1bOcG39Nbyn7WuaRiwKKiPvsHKInm-KEZNxKxQ0Lr09T57KzluWkYfditV147RmCt=w1135-h638-no.jpg

Bull moose...
KFjvnXS_v4ehUbFuI1ACIkz0TjQdlthg0BlczgtX4rypWbUpnx5kKX5N-QSSjfxUrT9SwwhngoU3qjd3yUW=w359-h638-no.jpg

Huge beaver lodge...
kZX3ONXwP53tMcCDDTki-WrHPK8TGFOP1uVwBEgz68ZJ_8r2aqeYxishdvDA26PlAkNECyQ4ju_aUpitMR=w1135-h638-no.jpg

Some freaky ass spider...
QiCszTNJA6PMYVmN3OVNnD-4fTZ-L1P2L3GV47FhFPtfOjYh-oZNGFpCy-g8k1LdjrvJ8TgTJttMzOZbk3=w1135-h638-no.jpg

Season opens here in November. My two
Sons and I will hunt here at our small ranch and later in December in South Texas. It's an annual hunt at a friends giant ranch. We hunt white tail in the main but also hogs, javelina, coyote, bobcat and mountain lion.

One year we saw a bobcat getting a drink at a pond. Both my boys were with me. I lined up to take it and then lowered my firearm and just watched. It walked over to a tuft of grass not 40 yds away and stirred something up. We then noticed it had captured a field mouse. It preceded to play with it, tossing it in the air and leaping to get it for five minutes. We all walked away appreciating the joy of just watching and learning the animals behavior. It was unforgettable.

We'll make sure the rifles are sighted in and practice some for good measure. This year mybsons move on to some ballistics training and they will do more of the cleaning. Great time of year!

I haven't been able to hunt deer since my daughters started playing hockey that would be seven years now .........
Many young women now hunt. You've got the perfect opportunity to spend time afield with your daughters. A great way to be involved with your family's food source. Quality venison with fresh garden produce.
Teach them ..... it'll give you a chance to be afield again, and your daughters could hunt for a lifetime ...... long after their hockey careers.
Do it! Teach them.