Hurricane Irma

The problem with a portable generator is, well, they're portable. A Generac bolted to a slab never seems to go anywhere, portable Hondas disappear on a regular basis, and often at the most inopportune times.

Also, run your generator at least once a month for an hour or so. Keep up on the maintenance and have a set of common spare parts and required tools handy. If you need a generator, that means that you NEED a generator. It's only another useless hunk o' junk if it doesn't fire up and purr like a happy kitten when you need it.

If it's a gas powered genny, have plenty of gas available treated with StaBil or equivalent. Consider a dual fuel gas / propane unit. Propane is cheap and available, plus easy to store outside. Do the math on how much fuel you are likely to need for whatever event you want the generator for and keep 125% to 150% of that amount of fuel on hand and ready to go.

A running generator will draw the less foresighted like honey will draw bees. Be ready for that eventuality as well. The less noisy your generator is the less attention it will draw at the wrong times.

Check your local codes on the use of a generator. You might be surprised at what is legal and what is not. There's a lot of stupid laws out there.

I like that one, and the reviews seem on point!

I'm not familiar with generators at all (just getting into researching them), but this one looks promising. I'd like one for our house to be able to power the fridge, a small AC unit, and maybe other tiny things from time-to-time. However, those ones I have been looking at are all stationary generators.

I like that this one is mobile, and could be taken just about anywhere.

Are you trying to make me spend money? Haha

I did a bit of research, but also relied on my father who has had generators for years. He initially recommended the one that he has, but it was cost prohibitive for me so I looked for alternatives and found the one above.

Yamaha EF3000iSEB, 2800 Running Watts/3500 Starting Watts, Gas Powered Portable Inverter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AYUWE5U/?tag=wranglerorg-20

He convinced to get an inverter. A lot of people have recommended a whole noise generator, but I really want something that I can throw in a vehicle and take it with me.

Reactions: Chris
FB_IMG_1505300887758.jpg