HVAC blower motor resistor replacement

Farmergreg

The work will set you free
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Decided to tackle my blower resistor in my '06. It was only working on High
This project is akin to arthroscopic surgery!

Ordered a "standard" brand resistor from Amazon about $13 this IS the same part as OEM Mopar

Removed glovebox
Took down the courtesy light
Finagled the resistor out while still hooked up
Removed the little red retainer on the plug

IMPORTANT: Found that the stubborn SOB plug still wouldn't come out.
Found that you still have to release the clip in the plug with a little screwdriver. After that it was smooth sailing. (Except for the contortions of working under the dash)

Resistor and courtesy light hanging down
IMG_4146.JPG

The hole under the green plug where the resistor goes
IMG_4147.JPG

Little clip that needs to be released after the red retainer is removed:
IMG_4148.JPG

a couple tools that were helpful. A mirror and a long 1/4" flex ratchet. It has 1/4" square on one end and 1/4" hex for screwdriver bit on the other. Usually when I pull that out it's because the job sucks!
IMG_4150.JPG
IMG_4151.JPG

I hate the little jobs like this where they expect you to have super tiny little contortionist type hands! It's one of those things that should take 5 minutes, but always takes longer.

Took over 1/2 an hour.
Big thing was not to get burly with the connector. And normally you'd think once you remove the red retainer the connector would come out and not have to be further released with a screwdriver.

Reactions: Chris
Took over 1/2 an hour.
Big thing was not to get burly with the connector. And normally you'd think once you remove the red retainer the connector would come out and not have to be further released with a screwdriver.

I know what you mean with the connector. I've encountered so many connectors on my Jeep (many of them interior connectors behind the dash and such) that seem like they should come apart very easily, but they're a pain in the butt to get apart. The harder you pull, the harder they are. You have to seemingly approach them with a gentle touch or something.

Reactions: reddvltj
My blower fan doesn't blow on the two slower setting but does on the two higher settings. Is this the fix? Thanks

Reactions: Hound Dog
My blower fan doesn't blow on the two slower setting but does on the two higher settings. Is this the fix? Thanks
I don't know for sure how the resistor works, I'm GUESSING that the speed switch would send the power through different paths in the resistor. With high speed being no resistance. Maybe your resister is partially burned out?
It's a $13 dollar gamble if you try it.

I don't know for sure how the resistor works, I'm GUESSING that the speed switch would send the power through different paths in the resistor. With high speed being no resistance. Maybe your resister is partially burned out?
It's a $13 dollar gamble if you try it.
Thanks. Is WC near Evansville, IN?

I guess I'm more NW!
Kentland about 90 miles south of Lake Michigan.

Thank you for this. My mom's Escape had the same problem. Didn't realize the wrangler used the same resistor design. My 02 is having the same issue.

First off, a tip of the hat to Farmergreg for his most excellent write-up with pictures! My 2004 fan motor only worked on #3 & #4 speeds; bought the identical resistor off of Amazon ~90 days ago and FINALLY got 'round to doing this job today. I may not be GOOD, but I AM SLOW - this job took ME closer to 90 minutes - but who's counting?! Result was a blower motor with ALL four speeds now - YaY!

I can't really think of anything to add, other than that I had to completely remove that green plug (put the male end out of the way, but found that the female end, which is attached to the motor housing with two of those plastic push pins, was a bit in the way to R&R'ing the left machine screw, so I pried it off and put it out of the way...

Hi! I am a newish member here and have not posted in a while...My mechanic told me that he thinks the resistor for my blower fan is going out because the fan stops blowing intermittently. I wondered if that makes a "burn" smell? I drove the jeep today and there is a somethings "burning smell" that is freaking me out. Thanks for any help you might have.

Hi! I am a newish member here and have not posted in a while...My mechanic told me that he thinks the resistor for my blower fan is going out because the fan stops blowing intermittently. I wondered if that makes a "burn" smell? I drove the jeep today and there is a somethings "burning smell" that is freaking me out. Thanks for any help you might have.

Yes, that’s very likely the case.

Yes, that’s very likely the case.
Thank you. I'm kind of bummed about having to replace this part because I am a mail carrier (right hand drive jeep) and I built a very cool mail tray in my jeep. I literally built it inside the jeep, it's basically a one and done deal. So removing it is going to really stink. Thanks again for your help.

Chris, that you know of, did Jeep ever fix the issue with the wiring for the fan. I'm referring to the wires getting hot when the fan resistance gets too high.

Not to my knowledge. Then again, I never had any issues with either of my 05s.

Not to my knowledge. Then again, I never had any issues with either of my 05s.
I never had a problem with my 97 or 04 either but the 97 was only 7 years old when we parted ways and the 04 was only 5 when I had to adopt her out😢. the 2000, my current money pit, I mean love just got new resistor,blower motor fan speed switch and wiring this summer. I guess I was hoping that maybe, just maybe Jeep redesigned more than just the resistor itself when they went from old school coil/resistor to solid state.

This has been mentioned in another thread, but I thought it worth adding here.

From what I've gathered, all these issues (hot wiring, melted plugs, burnt out switches/resistors) with the HVAC appear to be symptoms of one core issue: the blower motor is going out, and should also be replaced.

Click the link above for more details.

I've basically run into a similar issue with my '00 TJ. (NOTE: older style resistor from OP)
After a burning smell went ignored for a little too long last summer, the blower motor quit running. (on any speed) .
Finally dug into things, and found a melted wiring harness plugged into the resistor.
0819191724_HDR.jpg

So I wired in a new harness, and replaced the resistor as well.
0824191423.jpg

After replacement, I was able to get all four speeds from the blower... at first. Once I kicked in the highest fan speed, the first three quit working. Same behavior when I plugged in the old resistor. Fan ran OK on setting 1... 2 ... 3 ... 4. But then it stopped when I brought it back through 3,2,1.
So now I have a blower that works on high (only), but... I'm concerned the aging motor is drawing excess current that could lead to other parts burning up.
So far, nothing appears to be burnt or melted. (I did check the fan speed switch & the other controls/wires behind the dash.)

So... QUESTION(s):
Any insight into why only the highest setting would now be working?
Should I be concerned with running an [apparently] aging blower on high for extended periods?

Last edited:
Reactions: reddvltj