HVAC blower motor resistor replacement

I have a 2006 (2005 in some places) TJ golden eagle - I'm in Australia so the glovebox is on the LHS, but I have assumed everything would just be a mirror image. Apparently not.

Word to the wise: don't trust the parts recommendations without checking which one you have first, as everywhere will say you have the solid state resistor, when in fact, you have the coil resistor. I chucked my camera in the little access hole in the passenger foot well, and lo and behold, Its there (and looks like its covered in dust too, which is probably why it gave up the ghost.).

Last edited:
I have a 2006 (2005 in some places) TJ golden eagle - I'm in Australia so the glovebox is on the LHS, but I have assumed everything would just be a mirror image. Apparently not.

Word to the wise: don't trust the parts recommendations without checking which one you have first, as everywhere will say you have the solid state resistor, when in fact, you have the coil resistor. I chucked my camera in the little access hole in the passenger foot well, and lo and behold, Its there (and looks like its covered in dust too, which is probably why it gave up the ghost.).
Are the two interchangeable/same plug?

Are the two interchangeable/same plug?
Unfortunately no. You can see in an earlier post the difference between the two - the solid state version is a slim card, and goes in behind the glove box, whereas the coil goes in a totally different location in the foot well, and has a different shape and interface; it’s quite chunky.
I’m just baffled as to why they switched back to the older version in late model Tjs.

Not to worry, I got a refund on the one I have (and was told to keep it) and just ordered the other off Amazon. I have gone a year with only having full blast fan speed, so a few more weeks won’t hurt. I just want to fix it before summer so I can get the AC re-gassed without paying extra costs (which given i just replaced the radiator, clutch and got a new set of tyres in the last month for different reasons, is the last thing I want.)

Reactions: thomat65
Great write up. May need to get this done soon as we are now dipping into the 50s again in the morning

Lots of talk about root causes, but one (presumably) big cause of the resistor pack burning up that I did not see mentioned is debris collecting in that general area. Mine was burned out because the PO parked it under an evergreen type of tree that was a little more deciduous than usual, so tons of little tree parts had gotten in through the cowl (I guess?) and gotten past the blower and piled up on & around the resistor. Dried up tree parts plus hot resistor coils = release of OEM smoke and a burned up resistor pack.

While the resistor was out, I swept it out with my kid's hand & sprayed a ton of compressed air into the opening, and spun the squirrel cage and repeated the whole process several times. I got a lot of junk out. At some point along the way I had the brilliant idea to plug in the resistor pack but to leave it hang (that is, not put it back in the hole) and run the blower...this got a bunch more debris out. I did the compressed air thing a little more until I felt pretty confident that I had cleared the zone as much as possible.

I didn't find it all that big a pain to do this job, I think I'll check it again in a few weeks to see if anything else worked its way down.

Last edited:
I got an 05 wrangler renegade here in Aus only needing to replace the resistor also.
Struggling to find it. Where about in the passenger footwell? I've pulled the storage hatch off but can't see it.

Is it the box to the left of the green plug?
PXL_20211030_072403581.jpg

Reactions: reddvltj
Decided to tackle my blower resistor in my '06. It was only working on High
This project is akin to arthroscopic surgery!

Ordered a "standard" brand resistor from Amazon about $13 this IS the same part as OEM Mopar

Removed glovebox
Took down the courtesy light
Finagled the resistor out while still hooked up
Removed the little red retainer on the plug

IMPORTANT: Found that the stubborn SOB plug still wouldn't come out.
Found that you still have to release the clip in the plug with a little screwdriver. After that it was smooth sailing. (Except for the contortions of working under the dash)

Resistor and courtesy light hanging down
View attachment 44140

The hole under the green plug where the resistor goes
View attachment 44141

Little clip that needs to be released after the red retainer is removed:
View attachment 44142

a couple tools that were helpful. A mirror and a long 1/4" flex ratchet. It has 1/4" square on one end and 1/4" hex for screwdriver bit on the other. Usually when I pull that out it's because the job sucks!
View attachment 44143

View attachment 44144

We can’t get the red clip out - any tips?