HVAC blower switch replacement

MexiJeeper

TJ Enthusiast
Low and 2 fan speeds no longer work so now I'm waiting 3 and high to take a dump. Seems to be a common problem. The blower switch seems to be available for up to 2004 but after that nothing. I'm looking for a way to replace just the switch and not the resistor pack. Any ideas on how to tackle this on my 2006 TJ. Muchas gracias in advance.

Thanks Chris. Already saw that. My problem is that that repair is for 2004 and earlier. Here's a comment from the youtube page:

photo.jpg
Matthew Jenkins 2 months ago
Thanks for the video! If one has a 1996 - 2004 Jeep Wrangler (TJ), the fan switch alone can be replaced for ~$25. However, the switch assembly was changed in the 2004 and 2005 TJs. If you own one of them, you cannot buy just the fan switch. You have to buy the entire switch panel, which includes the fan switch, hot / cold dial, and vent control (Mopar part #55056558AA) for ~$130 if you can find one. I opened the dash of my 2005 up and verified that the fan switch really is different from the one used by the 1996 - 2004s. That said, it's very possible that the blower fan not working on low, medium, or high (pick your situation) is caused by a bad resistor (Mopar part #5139719AA) an not the switch. The resistor is a $15 part. The swap out is fairly quick and easy, but it's in a tight space behind and under the glovebox and involves some contorting. My 2005 Wrangler fan switch did not work on level 2 (low), but did work on 3 (medium) and 4 (high). Swapping the resistor fixed the problem. There's a good How-To video on YouTube titled "Blower motor resister replacement DIY, Jeep Wrangler TJ" Thanks again for this switch video. Having easy access to these to-the-point how to videos is wonderful. The time you put into it helps so many people.

Reactions: JPace3zx
ahhh, yeah I just Googled it and it looks like no one has a write-up for this, odd...

A lot of people said they replaced it with the 04 and earlier fan switch and made it work that way even though it didn't fit perfectly.

Used is always iffy, but if you buy it from a seller with a lot of good feedback I've never had any issues with that.

Help me out here. Never had one apart. Does this switch actually re-route the flow of current to a different wire or circuit on the resistor? Or does it allow higher or lower amounts of current to flow to the resistor via the selection made. Where I am going with this is, can you test the continuity/resistance of the switch to see if it is functioning correctly prior to replacement. Sounds like a resistor to me. >) advocate here.

The switch routes the 12v to a resistor pack which divides it into lower voltages for the fan's lower speeds. The switch bypasses the resistor pack and directs the full 12v to the fan for the highest speed setting.

The switch routes the 12v to a resistor pack which divides it into lower voltages for the fan's lower speeds. The switch bypasses the resistor pack and directs the full 12v to the fan for the highest speed setting.

Jerry,

do we have pictures of a resistor pack. So the switch actually has differnt wires the voltage flows through to the resistor pack? Otherwise, how does the resistor pack know what setting the switch is at?

?q=tbn:ANd9GcRUuwDZcFSA6T-XG84uDiQJLQdoTyPIJn8IdumtfTfz8jRRhmbOsA1vH-1ORApQau3d9UwNspgA&usqp=CAE.jpg

So I am thinking @MexiJeep should be able to test the switch for 12v across the output wires. Yes/no?

Today I removed the HVAC switch cluster for a look see. Nothing melted or burnt. Insulation on all pigtails is intact. Doesn't appear to have ever overheated. Without testing I'm leaning toward the resistor pack being bad. Hard part to find where I live in Mexico. I ordered one at Autozone and I'll have it in a few days. If that's not the problem I'll buy the used cluster and have someone in the States bring it to me when they visit. I'll report back with the results.