HVAC Box/heater core/AC Evap

jazz-n-tj

TJ Enthusiast
So I am in the middle of replacing my heater core. Overall it has been going smoothly. But with most projects as I am finishing up the disassembly, I have run into some problems.

Upon pulling out the HVAC box and inspecting it, I have found multiple cracks in the plastic box and one that complete area that broke around one of the bolts that go into the firewall.

I thought I was going to get out of this project pretty cheap-$70 for a new heater core from Performance Radiators and $130 to evac and refill my AC.

I am thinking my only option is to purchase a new HVAC Box. From what I understand they changed after 98. The part number I have on my HVAC box is 55115210AD (see picture). The REV. E stand for Revision E (i.e., the 5th revision)?

I have found some used HVAC boxes for about $200. Since I am in there, I am thinking of getting a new AC evap condenser. I had originally thought I would not do it because the TJ only has 90k and it does not leak and the AC works great. I see the OEM Jeep condensers are about $350 and after market are $100-150. I am assuming it is worth the extra $200+ for the OEM.

I have thought about super gluing with baking soda the HVAC box. (I have had good luck with plastic using super glue/baking soda but I don't know how well it would hold up against all the vibrations and off roading I do in the Jeep.

So to recap I think I need:
-a new (used) HVAC Box-from what I have found online I can no longer purchase the box new.

So I am in the middle of replacing my heater core. Overall it has been going smoothly. But with most projects as I am finishing up the disassembly, I have run into some problems.

Upon pulling out the HVAC box and inspecting it, I have found multiple cracks in the plastic box and one that complete area that broke around one of the bolts that go into the firewall.

I thought I was going to get out of this project pretty cheap-$70 for a new heater core from Performance Radiators and $130 to evac and refill my AC.

I am thinking my only option is to purchase a new HVAC Box. From what I understand they changed after 98. The part number I have on my HVAC box is 55115210AD (see picture). The REV. E stand for Revision E (i.e., the 5th revision)?

I have found some used HVAC boxes for about $200. Since I am in there, I am thinking of getting a new AC evap condenser. I had originally thought I would not do it because the TJ only has 90k and it does not leak and the AC works great. I see the OEM Jeep condensers are about $350 and after market are $100-150. I am assuming it is worth the extra $200+ for the OEM.

I have thought about super gluing with baking soda the HVAC box. (I have had good luck with plastic using super glue/baking soda but I don't know how well it would hold up against all the vibrations and off roading I do in the Jeep.

So to recap I think I need:
-a new (used) HVAC Box-from what I have found online I can no longer purchase the box new.
How did the heater core project go for you? I have the same problem now. Just found your link.