HVAC controls only work on first level. Blower motor or control panel problem?

leonardo

My heat and air conditioning work on my 2001 4.0L TJ. Only the first level seems to be the one blowing no matter what level I turn it to. I can turn it to the fourth level and it will still blow at the same rate. Is this more likely to be a blow motor problem or a control panel problem?

On my 2000, I only had the fan on high so I replaced the blower resistor.

Then I had settings 1, 2, and 4, but not 3.

Thought I got a bad resistor so I replaced it and still don't have setting 3.

Guess it's time for a blower motor.

To the OP, do the resistor first.

Quick and easy.

Remove glovebox door and there are 4 8mm screws holding on the cover.

The 2 facing downward you remove and the 2 facing towards the passenger you just loosen as the cover is slotted.

Then 2 more 8mm screws to remove/replace the resistor.

There is a red plastic lock on the connector that you'll have to release before you can remove the connector.

Good Luck!

Reactions: Zef
So I have a similar issue. The first was I only had one fan speed. Took off the speed selector switch and found the inside had broken, so there was no longer leverage for the switch to rotate the flat end of the internal post and instead spun freely.

The second issue I have is with the vent “mode” selector on the far right. It was working yesterday but when I opened it up today while diagnosing the fan speed issue I discovered the following two connectors being squeezed together by a zip tie.

C3658748-7D97-4F33-9784-C50BA632B8BE.jpeg

Upon removing these connections, I discovered melted plastic.

9F390FFC-1DCF-4C99-8423-32E56DD798E5.jpeg

AA90DDCD-EC75-410B-BE68-A715067AB2C0.jpeg

Is this a resistor issue? A blower motor issue? Or an issue with the mode selector module on the control panel itself?

Unless I squeeze the far right connector into the bigger module to it’s left, it stops working.

I had the same problem as @RangerTJ and I just replaced the fan switch.
Looks like @Strazi has the same problem (thoughI can't speak to your second problem, "mode" selector)
Got this switch from RockAuto;

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=7579700&cc=1185285&pt=4248&jsn=10

I just went ahead and replaced the whole unit, the vent selector on the far right was completely fried, where the fan speed selector actually worked fine. The half moon internal mold of the dial knob itself was broken being that it’s 20 years old and made of plastic.

62B16DCE-0665-4A1A-B71D-778B37D489AF.jpeg

E043CA68-7E4E-43ED-8C73-BEA48EE420C2.jpeg

For anyone who has a similar issue, here is where I got the entire new unit.

HVAC Climate Control Panel for Jeep Wrangler TJ 1999-2004 Heater Selector Control Switch, Climate Heater Panel Air Conditioning Control Unit, HS-373 55037473AB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083WD1JBC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If you need to replace the far right adapter from melting, I bought the mopar repair kit. I explored the option of using female adapters or soldering but I didn’t want to run the risk of shorting considering there is not much space between the prongs. I also was not able to find a cheaper alternative :/

Mopar - OEM Connector Repair Kit - 68080536aa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NNI8TM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Last edited:
Reactions: RangerTJ
I just went ahead and replaced the whole unit, the vent selector on the far right was completely fried, where the fan speed selector actually worked fine. The half moon internal mold of the dial knob itself was broken being that it’s 20 years old and made of plastic.

View attachment 405272

View attachment 405273

For anyone who has a similar issue, here is where I got the entire new unit.

HVAC Climate Control Panel for Jeep Wrangler TJ 1999-2004 Heater Selector Control Switch, Climate Heater Panel Air Conditioning Control Unit, HS-373 55037473AB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083WD1JBC/?tag=wranglerorg-20

If you need to replace the far right adapter from melting, I bought the mopar repair kit. I explored the option of using female adapters or soldering but I didn’t want to run the risk of shorting considering there is not much space between the prongs. I also was not able to find a cheaper alternative :/

Mopar - OEM Connector Repair Kit - 68080536aa https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NNI8TM/?tag=wranglerorg-20

That price for the entire unit is surprisingly reasonable.

I wonder what mine looks like back there....

Reactions: Duner
That price for the entire unit is surprisingly reasonable.

I wonder what mine looks like back there....
I was very surprised to see it was working while being obviously torched at some point. The reviews on Amazon are good for the one I got so hopefully it works like it should.

I have a suspicion that the blower motor is bad, as that’s is typically the reason the controls get fried. From what I’ve read it’s a slow increase of additional current to the hvac unit, which is why the fuse, 10 Amps for my 03, doesn’t blow, it isn’t an instantaneous surge.

Does anyone know how to do an in-line protection from this? I thought I saw a video of someone adding in an additional relay, but I’m not quite sure.

For the resistor, is Crown ok or should I go with Mopar for 6x the price? I usually go Mopar but this isn't a part that might leave me stranded somewhere

For the resistor, is Crown ok or should I go with Mopar for 6x the price? I usually go Mopar but this isn't a part that might leave me stranded somewhere

I have a tendency to try the cheaper option first, and if that doesn't work I usually go for the more expensive one. The nice part is if you buy it through amazon you can request a replacement or return if it doesn't work. I usually get a replacement and if that doesn't work then go big or go home. Depends on how much time you like to waste/gamble.