HVAC

Stinger

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I had an overpowering smell of anti freeze in the cab and from past experience suspected the heater core. Using the FSM I removed the steering column, and the instrument panel (dashboard) that exposed the HVAC unit which has to come all the way out. 5 nuts off the firewall, and a couple of hook ups inside and it comes right out. 14 screws removed allow separation of the upper and lower half of the HVAC unit. Note use special care in separating those areas with insulating or seals.
Got the core out and could fins absolutely nothing to indicate a leak. No stain, no fluid, nothing. Well it must be something else so I buttoned it all back up- -About 8 hours of work.
Took it for an extended test ride yesterday. Same smell. Present when heater is on and absent with it off. Has to be the damn core. Fluid must be evaporating before becoming visible. So 40$ to Rock Auto and another 10 hours of work should take care of it. Pictures also show the location of the fan/blower resistor that is a common problem in the Wranglers.
cab side.jpg
HVAC On Bench.jpg
Resistor.jpg
Ressitor and fan.jpg

Reactions: Bermudacat
Done the heater core in dozens of other cars, but never the Wrangler. Sounds (and looks) like a very un-fun job!

I'd rather beat my head with a hammer than have to replace my TJ's heater core.

This is one of those jobs where it's probably worth just paying someone to do it for you.

I did the heater core on my old VW GTI and VW Corrado, and those were a bitch. It's mostly just because of all the damn wiring in the way!

It actually isn't that hard. Just tedious disassembly and reassembly. Lots of sh*# to unhook then re-hook. I think I didn't get something just right because I fou8nd out today my front wipers don't work! Neither in speed or the washers. has to be the connector in the MFS because the fuses are good. Found this out while fixing my rear wipers!!

Reactions: Chris
It actually isn't that hard. Just tedious disassembly and reassembly. Lots of sh*# to unhook then re-hook. I think I didn't get something just right because I fou8nd out today my front wipers don't work! Neither in speed or the washers. has to be the connector in the MFS because the fuses are good. Found this out while fixing my rear wipers!!

It's always a pain in the butt dealing with all the trim pieces and screws and wiring harness connections that come with removing the dash.

Just be thankful the dash on the TJ is small. Imagine removing the dash on one of those newerr German luxury cars!

I've changed my heater core twice on my TJ. The first time, back in 2007, I created a write-up that Stu of Stu-Offroad posted to his site. Chris was gracious enough to post it on this forum, too. The second time around, earlier this spring, I did it in about half the time. Its not hard, just takes awhile.

http://www.wranglertjforum.com/thre...ter-core-on-a-jeep-wrangler-tj.471/#post-4453

I prefer to use the factory service manual over someone's first hand experience. That way I can get a good laugh over the errors while soaking my hands in my own blood. ;)

In reality, I now have the first hand experience of pulling the instrument panel off three times and the HVAC unit twice--soon to be three times. I do try to make notes in my FSM noting the errors, such as what they neglected to mention that needed disconnecting.

I had a Haynes Manual. Its mostly worthless; particularly the few steps devoted to the heater core change. I couldn't find any write-ups anywhere for the heater core, which is why I made my own and posted it.

I'd really like to get ahold of an actual FSM.

The FSM is pretty good but is full of errors so one must use common sense in conjunction with the manual. Definitely better than Hanyes.

Reactions: Chris
I had a Haynes Manual. Its mostly worthless

I can attest to that. The only aftermarket manual that's good for cars are Bentley manuals (which are amazing), but they generally only make those for European cars I think.

I had a Haynes Manual. Its mostly worthless; particularly the few steps devoted to the heater core change. I couldn't find any write-ups anywhere for the heater core, which is why I made my own and posted it.

I'd really like to get ahold of an actual FSM.
I ordered mine before the jeep even got home the first day. Try Amazon.com

There's a link to the FSM right here on the forum for free :D
Don't know about other years but the 05 manual is supplemented by a wiring manual. Hard to do most electrical trouble shooting without it.