Hydrolocked 4.0

Brecontj

my engine is truly bust. plugs out and won't rotate. I,ll do further investigation but in the meantime could do with some advice if I go down the replacement engine route.
It's a 2002 4.0 tj grizzely
Manual gearbox R H Drive
I see "erh" engines advertised, how do I determine if minis the erh type or not.?
Does it matter,
If I put a4.0 from a Cherokee in will I have ecu issues
Will I have ecu or immobiliser issues when I hook up another engine,are there any protocols I have to follow engine,adage end wise.
Will a4.0 engine from an auto vehicle swap into my manual
Thanks any advice on the above much appreciated.

What is an "ERH" engine?

I'm having a very hard time comprehending your English. I've read your post a number of times, and I'm still trying to process what you're saying / asking.

It might help to be a bit more organized with your question(s).

That 4.0 from the Cherokee will not work without a number of modifications. In addition, if yours is automatic transmission, the ECM from that Cherokee will not work with your automatic, as the Cherokee uses an entirely different transmission, wiring harness, etc.

Hi sorry about the bad English. I,ll relist the questions

Water got into the engine through the air intake, the vehicle chugged and ground to a halt.
Gutted but that's how it goes - I was in a rush dashing to a relative in need and forgot to switch my air intake position.there have been floods overhear recently, I took a short cut to save time and got out of my depth!

I recovered the jeep and removed the plugs,unfortunately it would not rotate so without a strip down I am assuming it dead. The pistons are aligned as follows starting at the front of the engine-.down,up,down down up up
So I am looking to swap the engine as a possible solution
My jeep is a 2002 wrangler tj with a manual gear box
There are not a great number of spare engines about maybe 1 to 3 nationwide
From a 98 to 2006 wrangler so I am also looking at the 4.0 Cherokee as they are very popular and a few more of these are available in the scrap yards.

So, lots of questions about compatability
Will a Cherokee engine hook up with regard to the ecu or engine management
Will an engine from an auto hook up to my manual gearbox
When the engines here are advertised the put in the add as follows-
"jeep 4.0 ERA engine"

I don,t know what this means, is my engine an ERA?

I am weighing up my options at the moment a rebuild or engine swap. So to get the costs I need to know which engine to buy, and is it a simple swap or likely to come with electrical issues, my biggest concern is the ECU and immobiliser.

thanks for the replies and I think this is clearer now to understand.

ERH is the parts code for a 4.0L engine.
CD4EEE21-5256-4366-AAC1-6D335B39939B.png

Due to limited quantity across the pond and assuming the engine block is not damaged, you can just have your existing engine rebuilt at a shop. Cost wise, probably the same as trying to sway cherokee motor and you get a new engine out of it.

Does insurance not cover that issue? Mine would :)

Due to limited quantity across the pond and assuming the engine block is not damaged, you can just have your existing engine rebuilt at a shop. Cost wise, probably the same as trying to sway cherokee motor and you get a new engine out of it.

Does insurance not cover that issue? Mine would :)
hi
Thanks for replying, I,m not covered during flood alerts, and I,m on a limited budget, the transport and duties would kill it. I had a good look at pricing when I was putting the winch and bumpers on, some great deals your side but the import duties and freight is a bit of a lottery. There are some parts importers this side but they tend to do the bling (external add ins) and not the detailed engine parts
Thanks

Due to the limited number of spare engines and the cost to get one shipped over there, T_Hase89 has a pretty good suggestion about getting what you have rebuilt. I'd think that you'd need some new pistons, rings and bearings and probably a handful of other parts. If they aren't already over there at least they aren't something huge and heavy to ship.

Good luck no matter what

hi
Thanks for replying, I,m not covered during flood alerts, and I,m on a limited budget, the transport and duties would kill it. I had a good look at pricing when I was putting the winch and bumpers on, some great deals your side but the import duties and freight is a bit of a lottery. There are some parts importers this side but they tend to do the bling (external add ins) and not the detailed engine parts
Thanks
Hi mate I'm in the Shropshire Hills and know what this flooding is really bad, in fact I leave the TJ at home and use the Defender with sealed RAI and raised breathers currently.
Have you tried https://chryslerbreakers.co.uk/?gcl...d8KAqSRN44Z5tmSI7Dj4N0Kc1gGQ-RbwaAtEDEALw_wcB
A quick search will find you several U.K. Jeep breakers.
Incidentally I've been on this forum for a while now and these guys really know their stuff and are, in general, much more polite and helpful than on similar sites in the U.K.
Be lucky :cool:

Thanks, I,ll cost a
Due to the limited number of spare engines and the cost to get one shipped over there, T_Hase89 has a pretty good suggestion about getting what you have rebuilt. I'd think that you'd need some new pistons, rings and bearings and probably a handful of other parts. If they aren't already over there at least they aren't something huge and heavy to ship.

Good luck no matter what
hi, yes it's an option, your never sure how much damage is done until u strip it down, probaly need conrods, bearings maybe a crank, so the engine swap is my cheapest option, still a risk as I could end up buying a dog.
Thanks

Have you pulled the front serpentine belt, remove all sparkplugs, remove starter, drain the oil completely.
Now put a socket on the crank to see if you can turn it. Either direction. If it at least turns a bit, then pull the oil pan to check for bent connecting rods, pull the valve cover and check for bent pushrod.

Either the top or the bottom should have some bent parts. Find out what they are. From there we can figure out what to do.

Reactions: twistedlv
Hi mate I'm in the Shropshire Hills and know what this flooding is really bad, in fact I leave the TJ at home and use the Defender with sealed RAI and raised breathers currently.
Have you tried https://chryslerbreakers.co.uk/?gcl...d8KAqSRN44Z5tmSI7Dj4N0Kc1gGQ-RbwaAtEDEALw_wcB
A quick search will find you several U.K. Jeep breakers.
Incidentally I've been on this forum for a while now and these guys really know their stuff and are, in general, much more polite and helpful than on similar sites in the U.K.
Be lucky :cool:
Thanks, yes they have come up with one at £1150, and £800 so I am hoping one of these guys can answer the questions at the start of the thread regarding compatability before they are sold

Thanks, yes they have come up with one at £1150, and £800 so I am hoping one of these guys can answer the questions at the start of the thread regarding compatability before they are sold
Ps and yes a great response from across the pond

Have you pulled the front serpentine belt, remove all sparkplugs, remove starter, drain the oil completely.
Now put a socket on the crank to see if you can turn it. Either direction. If it at least turns a bit, then pull the oil pan to check for bent connecting rods, pull the valve cover and check for bent pushrod.

Either the top or the bottom should have some bent parts. Find out what they are. From there we can figure out what to do.
Hi goatman, I'll follow your suggestions, and let you know. I, ve had the plugs out and rotated 180 degrees all ok, then a further turn and it's locked up pistons are out of sequence (see start of the tread) so I cannot get 360 degree turn with a spanner on the crank.
I,ll take off the starter and belts a suggested.weather is bad at the moment so will be a day or so . I,ve also put some I give oil in the bores just to stop any rusting

can anyone advise me on the electrical side,
If I get a spare engine that is compatable mechanically will it hook up ok with my ecu or am I likely to encounter a limp mode code or immobiliser being triggered.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi goatman, I'll follow your suggestions, and let you know. I, ve had the plugs out and rotated 180 degrees all ok, then a further turn and it's locked up pistons are out of sequence (see start of the tread) so I cannot get 360 degree turn with a spanner on the crank.
I,ll take off the starter and belts a suggested.weather is bad at the moment so will be a day or so . I,ve also put some I give oil in the bores just to stop any rusting

It sounds like a broken connecting rod, at least. Once you know something internal is damaged, like a piston not moving up and down when turning crank then it's time to start pulling parts. If you pull the pan you may find pieces of the piston or connecting rod in the pan.
You're going to have to tear it down at some point so why not start so you can see whether or not rebuilding it is even an option. The results from magnafluxing the block for cracks and possible gouging of the cylinder walls may very well lead you to your only option which is an engine swap.