Hyundai Tiburon Seat Conversion to TJ Tilt and Fold Frame

WWII Jeeper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I just finished my seat conversion. Last year I tried the flat metal bar mounting and didn't care for it....mostly due to my craftsmanship/lack of....

This time I did the following with the passenger seat first: (Pics at the end)

Seats: driver and passenger seats 2006 Hyundai Tiburon

First, I measured the offset of the TJ seat. From the outer slider frame towards the door (right side if you are seated), it was about 1 1/2 " . The measurement from the outside rail to seat edge (left side if seated) is about 6-7 inches.

I removed the tilt frame from the TJ seat pan. There are 4 bolts, 2 front and 2 rear. The rear bolts are hidden, and you will need some patience to get them out. If you have a longer than normal 1/2 inch open end wrench, it might work well for the rear. I also removed the end of the tilt cable at the seatback, rather than from under the tilt frame.

Next I removed the seat adjustment rails from the Tiburon passenger seat. With those removed, I added a flat metal bar across the bottom front of the seat pan, in order to bolt the seat pan to the TJ tilt frame.

Once measured, lined up, and bolted, there was a cable on the Tiburon seat (right side) at the junction of the seat and seatback. It went under the seat pan and was about 5-6 inches long. I took that out and then drilled the mount attachment hole a little bigger in order to attach the original TJ tilt cable. Then I mounted the seat in the jeep to test the tilt/fold. It worked fine, but I did notice a slight rubbing of the seatback tilt lever on the roll bar padding. Minimal, so no big deal for me.

I removed the seat and fabricated two spacers for the rear frame mounts of the seat. Once solid and secure, the seat was mounted and tested. It works great and the seat is really comfortable.

Sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the seat tilted forward......since I'm using the TJ tilt frame, the seat goes as far forward as it did when the TJ seat was on. Plenty of room to get in the back.

If I've missed anything, hopefully the pics will cover it.

Driver side:
Same measuring, removal and mounting as the passenger seat.

However, I had trouble with the TJ tilt/fold cable mounting. There was no space to get good leverage to activate the tilt mechanism, so I just coiled the cable and zip tied it under the seat. Eventually I'll fabricate a lever and mount it on the seat frame. In the meantime, it's easy for me to reach under the driver seat and activate the tilt bar.

Hope this helps anyone thinking about this conversion.

Ray

Pics:
Rear seat pan bolt hidden........it's there, sorry for not marking the pic.
1)  Rear seat pan bolt (hidden).jpg

Here ya go, better pic of the bolt
2) Hidden pan bolt.jpg

Bolt locations...there are 4, 4th is just out of sight to bottom right.
3) Location of 4 jeep pan bolts (sorta, ).jpg

Naked frame (obvious, but I like the word Naked) :)
4) Naked jeep seat frame.jpg

Bottom of Tiburon seat with adjust rails removed
5) Bottom of Tiburon seat with adjust rails removed.jpg

Cross mounting bar to Tiburon seat for mounting to tilt frame.
6) Tiburon seat with added metal bracket.jpg

Stock Tiburon cable. This was removed and TJ tilt cable routed in it's place
7) Rightside Tiburon passenger seat. Cable needs to be replaced with Jeep tilt cable.jpg

TJ cable routed. Notice, I had to use the Tiburon cable mount, and then had to press in the cable casing rather than the plastic mount. Not enough tension if I didn't.
8) Jeep tilt cable routed thru passenger seat and inserted in lever.jpg

This is where spacers needed to be fabricated, drilled and bolted
9) rear of seat Brackets need to be made to secure pan to frame.jpg

Tilt frame mounted to Tiburon seat.
10) seat attached to jeep tilt.jpg

Slight rubbing on bar pad. Everything works fine
11) Slight rub on padding (minimal).jpg

All done
12) all done.jpg

Driver seat, sorry no pics of that process, but it's the same.
13) driver seat.jpg

Better shot of how the driver seat looks mounted
14) Driver seat controls.jpg

Terrific writeup, thanks for sharing!
Are you using seat covers for the chairs? If so, would you share the brand? They look great!

Terrific writeup, thanks for sharing!
Are you using seat covers for the chairs? If so, would you share the brand? They look great!
Thanks.
Yes on the covers. They are a set from IGGEE ? The pattern cut was short for the seats, and the company sent me a set of vinyl covers. It's way too hot here for vinyl so I threw the defective covers on to cut down on the heat. They look good, but I think I'm going to go with Cal Trend covers soon .

Reactions: gogetter