I added an iPad Mini mount to the top of my center console for navigation

HoweTyler

Supporting Member
I was looking at ways to mount an iPad Mini in my Jeep and came up with this idea that has been working great for the last few years - and a couple of rollovers! I replaced the top of the console with a gauge cluster mount. Then I attached a Gorrila Case mount to that. Then I covered my iPad Mini with the Gorilla Cage case. It holds the iPad very securely and has a perfect line of sight. I can take it out when I want. And, it has survived 2 rollovers without falling out! I used MotionX GPS for my navigation and it played sound through Bluetooth in my jeep stereo.

IMG_2394.jpeg

IMG_2395.jpeg

That looks really good, great idea using the gauge pod. I like the mic mount as well. The last thing you want to loose in a roll is your tablet right?
Yup, that is my biggest concern! ;) I mounted my CB where my radio used to mount and use a Bluetooth receiver for my radio from the iPad. I used to have the CB mounted above my head, but in my last rollover, I hit my head on the very pointy edge of the CB and had to be life-flighted to the hospital. Now I have removed anything that my head might hit!

• Wow
Reactions: SkylinesSuck
I really like the idea of using an iPad mini for nav in the TJ but I really don't like the idea of blocking that much of my forward vision. Obviously it is sturdy and had worked well for you.
I also didn’t want my tablet to block vision. I ended up putting a mount on the grab bar. I would prefer closer to center, but didn’t want to block the controls or vents.

Reactions: HoweTyler
I really like the idea of using an iPad mini for nav in the TJ but I really don't like the idea of blocking that much of my forward vision. Obviously it is sturdy and had worked well for you.
Actually I mostly rock-crawl and it is not in my vision at all. The line of site is basically the same as the hood!

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
I was looking at ways to mount an iPad Mini in my Jeep and came up with this idea that has been working great for the last few years - and a couple of rollovers! I replaced the top of the console with a gauge cluster mount. Then I attached a Gorrila Case mount to that. Then I covered my iPad Mini with the Gorilla Cage case. It holds the iPad very securely and has a perfect line of sight. I can take it out when I want. And, it has survived 2 rollovers without falling out! I used MotionX GPS for my navigation and it played sound through Bluetooth in my jeep stereo.

View attachment 168921

View attachment 168922
Here is the build list in detail:

1) Get an iPad Mini. Make sure it is the wifi+LTD cellular model - you do not have to activate cell coverage but need the GPS that is built in. The wifi only model do not have a GPS built in so they will not work. I found that out because I originally tried it with a WiFi only model!

2) Buy a "Gauge Works 15219 Center Gauge Pod for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ & Unlimited" from Quadratec.

https://www.quadratec.com/products/12500_221.htm…

3) I then bought an "OtterBox 77-55877 DEFENDER SERIES Case for iPad (5th Gen)/iPad (6th Gen)" that fit my iPad Mini model. Make sure you get the one that fits your iPad.

https://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-77-55877…/…/ref=sr_1_1_sspa…

4) Mount the back of the Otterbox to the gauge pod. First, remove the foldable mount that is on the back of the Otterbox. Looking at the picture you can see that I used 4 small screws towards the bottom of the Otterbox. This just gave me a solid connection between the two.

5) To install the gauge pod, remove the vent strip that runs along the bottom of the front window. You will then see two screws holding the center console in. Once removed you can gently pull the consol away from the Jeep. Then you just slide out the tray and slide in the pod. Then re-assemble.

6) Put the iPad in the Otterbox and it will now snap in and out of the dash!

7) For power, you can either hardwire a connection to your radio or just run a wire from your lighter. Make sure it is the 2.4 amp charger.

I have had mine installed for over three years and it holds that iPad secure like it was part of the dash.

note: I use MotionX GPS for my map program.