I am debt free

astjp2

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
So my job status changed last month and I put in place a plan to withdraw my 401 and use it to pay off my debt. So as of yesterday the only thing I have debt wise is my mortgage. I didnt have a huge amount of debt, but I have not been able to get my head into finding work so this was my fall back plan. I have had a few job offers of $13.00 per hour and it was 40 miles away with no benefits. I has a second job offer of $23, no benefits and 12 hour shifts. So while there is work, it seems like that most jobs I have been finding have been more suitable for someone living with their parents..in the basement. Needless to say I am discouraged.

So one of the things I have been doing is trying to get my head back into the game is to build the wrecked LJ that I bought. Well what started out as a budget build has snowballed into a full build. For some reason I seem to lose self control and have the everlasting need to do things all out. Its just my nature. So now I am about halfway done collecting parts I now feel like I am just hemorrhaging money. I really have several major parts left that I want to buy, a front bumper, Atlas, UCF tummy tuck, Elockers for my dana 44's, sliders and body/mm lift.

I guess I need to get this thing back together for now and see where the work search leads me. I have been doing a few odd maintenance jobs on airplanes for some extra cash. It's not much but the extra money is nice to have, so I think that I just needed to vent, I have enough money left to pay my mortgage for the next year. I just need to vent a little. Thanks for listening. Tim

I can tell you from getting a large infusion of funds all at once really screwed up my build plans for my TJ. Talk to folks and research before you spend more money. I threw a ton of cash at my TJ 12 years ago and wish I had sat down and really planned things out before just buying what was suppose to be the latest and greatest. I would have saved a lot of money and might have ended up with a better rig.

Thanks, I know that some of what I am doing I also had done to my YJ, the Atlas, tummy tuck, elockers made it into a real jeep, but I had fun experimenting with stretched springs and cross over steering. This link suspension is more of a challenge compared to swapping YJ springs for Waggy ones.
Tim

I can tell you from getting a large infusion of funds all at once really screwed up my build plans for my TJ. Talk to folks and research before you spend more money. I threw a ton of cash at my TJ 12 years ago and wish I had sat down and really planned things out before just buying what was suppose to be the latest and greatest. I would have saved a lot of money and might have ended up with a better rig.

You and me both man, I can relate to this 100%.

I had too much money, threw it at the TJ all at once, and basically ended up doing everything over again but better.

I wish I had taken the time to do the research and done it right the first time.

As for you @astjp2, don't you just love that (sarcasm) how all these employers want to hire people but not give them benefits? I don't want to get political, but it really just pisses me off when employers do that crap.

Reactions: Wildman
I know how discouraging it can be to be out of work. I was laid off about 5 years ago and was out of work for nearly 8 months...no damned fun! Fortunately, I found a job right when it was getting desperate and have not been happier with a job in many years.

The economy is in good shape so, right now, it's more a matter of finding the right place to ask and looking into various options that might fit your skill set. Keep plugging away at it and, if something that's not ideal but doable comes up, consider taking it and continuing your search for the better fit with the comfort of having that income stream.

Also, congrats on being debt free, it's a good thing 😎

Was talking to the guy who owns Alpha munitions (high end reloading brass) in Salt Lake, he said his biggest problem was finding employees with a three digit IQ that can run the equipment and have a work ethic.

But on the other hand I have a friend that's paying his dues in the trucking industry (supposedly lots of jobs available) sounds like the drivers are constantly shit on and turnover is very high.

If I was anywhere near SLC, I'd look up Alpha. (I'm a gun guy who planned to be a machinist and ended up a farmer)

Reactions: lowranger and StG58
I actually repair CNC machines and I have worked on Aircraft. I also was a federal employee for a few years. I used to work in Salt lake city but the drive was not fun. We have only 1 major interstate and if traffic gets snarled up it sucks. I live 45 miles north so I am hoping to find something close to home for once. I can inquire about working there though, Thanks, Tim

I actually repair CNC machines and I have worked on Aircraft. I also was a federal employee for a few years. I used to work in Salt lake city but the drive was not fun. We have only 1 major interstate and if traffic gets snarled up it sucks. I live 45 miles north so I am hoping to find something close to home for once. I can inquire about working there though, Thanks, Tim
Sounds like you're certainly well qualified, something will turn up.

I'm about a hour south of the Chicago metro area.....I avoid that traffic like the devil.
You definitely have to factor the drive hours into your pay.
I wish you the best

Reactions: astjp2
Good Luck on the Job search and for being debt free. My wife and I have been for a few years (all but the house and the occasional car payment). Its a nice feeling. Is there an opportunity for travelling mechanic work? I see a couple guys around my area doing that. Load a pickup truck with your tools and go fix stuff on people's cars, like brakes, tune-ups, air filters, etc. Even minor diagnostics. Obviously you can't get crazy, but with a 20 dollar OBDII reader from amazon, you can get a lot of information.

Good Luck on the Job search and for being debt free. My wife and I have been for a few years (all but the house and the occasional car payment). Its a nice feeling. Is there an opportunity for travelling mechanic work? I see a couple guys around my area doing that. Load a pickup truck with your tools and go fix stuff on people's cars, like brakes, tune-ups, air filters, etc. Even minor diagnostics. Obviously you can't get crazy, but with a 20 dollar OBDII reader from amazon, you can get a lot of information.

Might be a real doable thing; especially in Utah. Though it would likely be easier South of SLC rather than North.

Most communities here require a $1 million insurance policy if I do any form of work on anything and name them as co insured. Just a scam in my mind and they actively enforce it. If I hang a shingle out to advertise, one of the few ways to get the word out, then that is were they get you. Just some food for thought. Tim

Most communities here require a $1 million insurance policy if I do any form of work on anything and name them as co insured. Just a scam in my mind and they actively enforce it. If I hang a shingle out to advertise, one of the few ways to get the word out, then that is were they get you. Just some food for thought. Tim
Good luck and I hope you find something that pays well enough to take care of your needs and then some. Kat and I both wound up out of work at the same time. Her employer got shut down by the FDA, I got shut down after refusing to continue to deal with an insane person. Oddly, as soon as folks found out I wasn't going to a job every day, they started landing rigs in my driveway to build, mod, and repair. We have been debt free for at least 11 years without even a single credit card between us, just debit cards. If we don't have it, we don't spend it except for the house payment and even that is ridiculously low. In other words, I know how you feel and parts of that are great, parts are not so great. Hope you get them all to be great.

The downside for us is with no debt, we have no credit. That is not always a good thing.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks, it relieved a lot of stress even though I will be starting over on my retirement. So far I can retire in 2037 at $800 per month and I get a VA pension of 135. Not quite enough to live on but a start.

Thanks, it relieved a lot of stress even though I will be starting over on my retirement. So far I can retire in 2037 at $800 per month and I get a VA pension of 135. Not quite enough to live on but a start.

been there/done that at 45, it blows when it happens BUT you've got to do what you've got to do right...

Here's what I found to be very helpful after I got thumped, I just stopped looking so far into the future because it doesn't really help rather it just serves to create anxiety. I used to be a long term planner, thought I had it all wired but the (now ex) wife, the employer, & the universe had other plans for me. Looking back now I just laugh, mostly at myself for all the years I walked around thinking I actually had control over shit - it's an illusion really & one you will believe in as long as shit's going well because after all what else could it be other than your brilliance that put you (& keeps you) on top, right? Hahaha

I'm not saying to not plan for the future, I still do, just with a lot less grip on a certain outcome. Point the ship in the direction you want to go then kick back & enjoy the scenery no matter how on or off course you may end up going.

If you're in the SLC area have you looked back into federal employment on Hill AFB? A-10s, F-16s, C-130s, F-35s... The Depot facility there is just massive and it is 100% staffed with civil service. USA Jobs has all kinds of opportunities. Federal employment won't make you a millionaire but the benefits are outrageous compared to what you'll find in the private sector

We have been debt free for at least 11 years without even a single credit card between us, just debit cards. If we don't have it, we don't spend it except for the house payment and even that is ridiculously low. In other words, I know how you feel and parts of that are great, parts are not so great. Hope you get them all to be great.

The downside for us is with no debt, we have no credit. That is not always a good thing.

We paid everything off several years ago and ran into the same situation. For that reason I maintain just a couple of small revolving loans just to maintain some sort of credit history, and I use a credit card instead of a debit card for everything that I can. I still pay the balance in full every month, but this way if my card # gets hijacked it is a hit against the credit card balance and not my actual bank account.

If you're in the SLC area have you looked back into federal employment on Hill AFB? A-10s, F-16s, C-130s, F-35s... The Depot facility there is just massive and it is 100% staffed with civil service. USA Jobs has all kinds of opportunities. Federal employment won't make you a millionaire but the benefits are outrageous compared to what you'll find in the private sector
I transfered the workload from McClellan in 98, about 20% of the workers were contractors and not civil service. I am going to start putting in my resume at USA jobs once I get back to being motivated to going back to work. Thanks, Tim

With the exception of the house, which will be paid off in 6-8 years, we're 100% debt free too! Whoo hoo, it's great.

Reactions: Igoo65
Lots of people are saying they are debt free...then say they still have a mortgage. So which is it? Is a mortgage is a different category of debt? How come?

Reactions: cliffish