I bought a new Jeep

psrivats

Team green shackle
Supporting Member
I bought a new jeep .. well .. actually an old jeep .. but it is far more exciting than buying a new jeep :)

It is a 1963 CJ-3B, inline 4 "hurricane" engine, T90 transmission, Dana18 transfer case, and D25/Dana 44 axles. All original, mostly rust free frame and body, unmodified and an Arizona vehicle most of it's life.

It's a long time dream come true and I am very happy today. I have been talking about doing this for years, but never really seriously acted on it. In situations like these where the purchase is not a real necessity, it has been often the case with me that I do the "should I? shouldn't I? Do I really need this?" dilly dallying, eventually the item gets sold, and then I tell myself that it was just not meant to be. But for a change this time, and in a real positive sense .. thanks to the mentorship and advice of someone that I really respect very much .. I actually paid for this thing and broke the silly circle I tend to revolve in.

I have a strange attraction to pre-AMC era jeeps, and especially to these high hood ones. Lot of people think they look funny compared to the CJ-2s and CJ-5s. But I grew up in India with the Mahindra versions of these all around me as the official law and order and the official military vehicles in the city and the suburbs. Our own @jscherb has a very good thread over at JeepForum talking about the many Mahindra jeeps he saw in his many travels to India. I think my subconscious liking of Jeeps really started at a young age. I saw the CJ-3B equivalents used for many official things. I saw the official government vehicles transition to CJ5-derived models over time and Cj6-equivalents used as ambulances. Police officers were respected and they always, always arrived in Jeeps with blue and white livery, looking fit and acting with authority you seldom saw otherwise. Going to deep rural parts of South India in those days where paved roads did not really exist .. you either walked if your destination was in walking distance, or rode a bicycle (which most people did), took a ride in a crowded government bus that never, ever ran on time, or if you were affluent enough, you would take a ride in a Ox or horse drawn cart, and if you were actually rich, you took a ride in a motorized vehicle if your family was affluent enough to own one. My grandparents lived in the village and were too poor to own anything other than bicycles, but there were few really rare occasions where I have taken rides in rented vehicles and it was always a very special a treat to be riding in a Jeep. It was almost always a CJ-3B or a Savari (CJ5-like long wheelbase people carrier). In some parts of India, they are still in use both for personal use and as Taxis and very much cherished by the owners. Mahindra put low HP turbodiesel engines in them and they would still keep running while the tubs fell apart after decades of use. As late as 2009-10, you could still special order a new Mahindra Major (last iteration of the CJ-3B). The main national newspaper wrote a front page editorial when the last flat fender Mahindra model was discontinued in 2011 - it really was part of the collective memory of the country.

I was saddened a little bit with the whole Mahindra vs FCA legal saga surrounding the Roxor side-by-side. Both sides had their valid points and the final court decision is what it is. Given the rich history of both companies, a much nicer collaborative solution could have happened if people from both sides wanted it to happen. But that is seemingly too much to ask in today's business world.

This Willys Jeep will need some restoration work, sure, but it has good bones and I am looking forward to the experience in both aspects of ownership and the tinkering/learning. I am going to get the best possible help for the initial restoration, and I really aim to learn as much as I can towards maintaining and caring for this by myself over time that will also carry over to my TJ. This below photo is the seller's and the brief video shows the vehicle start up and a short walkaround. I simply wanted to share this here since I know we have a few people here that like old CJs and will have some appreciation for this CJ-3B. It is a vehicle from a bygone era, but the memories I have are far from being forgotten.

02.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited:
Cool Jeep. Good find. You did the right thing buying it.

Owning an old Jeep is turning into a special thing for me. I have only had my 2001 Sahara for a couple of months. I am making a couple of mechanics boat payment as we get things right.

I tinker some, but I have my self imposed limits.

This is one of those items that has been on my want list for a long time. Good on you for getting it and checking one off your own bucket lists. Having one that's rust free is a huge plus!

Nice. Oregon seems to be 3B country for some reason and a lot of them ended up with 2.3 turbo Ford power in them. Is this something you are looking to keep original or going to mod?

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Nice. Oregon seems to be 3B country for some reason and a lot of them ended up with 2.3 turbo Ford power in them. Is this something you are looking to keep original or going to mod?

Thanks. No plans to do any significant modifications ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackjack
... Our own @jscherb has a very good thread over at JeepForum talking about the many Mahindra jeeps he saw in his many travels to India.

For your enjoyment... a few photos I've taken in India and some brochures from my collection. There were many variants of the CJ3b produced by Mahindra, some a shown here. I've got several hundred more Mahindra photos and brochures (not all CJ3b variants) but I never thought they'd get much interest in this forum so I haven't posted them here.

Spotted this one in Udaipur:

WillysLHD1.jpg

WillysLHD2.jpg

This one was parked outside the Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur:

WindshieldMajor(1).jpg

There are many CJ3b variants still in police service in India:

PoliceMajor.jpg

They're common still in rural tax service in Rajasthan:

Commander1.jpg

A few more Major/CJ-4 examples (the Mahindra long wheelbase version of the CJ-3b went by several names), most of these I spotted in rural taxi service in Rajasthan. Notice all of them have roof racks above the soft tops.

Major.jpg

These next ones I spotted in Sawai Mahdopur. Check the rack on the soft top and the rack over the windshield:

Major1.jpg

This one also has the windshield rack and a different soft top rack:

Major2.jpg

While we're in Sawai Mahdopur, here's an alternative mode of transportation common in Rajasthan (back to camels for a moment...).

CamelCart(1).jpg

This one belongs to a hotel near the Kumbhalgarh Fort.

Major4.jpg

The interior:

Major5.jpg

Kumbalgarh Fort: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbhalgarh

Kumbalgarh.jpg

One in rural taxi service outside of Udaipur:

MajorTaxi2.jpg

Major6.jpg

Another one.

MajorTaxi3.jpg

Both have large roof racks over the soft top (mounted through holes in the canvas) and ample ladders.

We stayed at a hotel in Bikaner in 2018 that had a pair of ex-Indian Army CJ3B's on display in the forecourt:

MilitaryCJ3Bs_zpswpdqp8bx.jpg

The data plate from one of them - you'll see it's a 1981 (!) CJ-3b:

MilitaryIDPlate_zps5hm5ymog.jpg

Soft top details - roll-up windows! :)

MilitaryCJ3bSoftTop.jpg

A brochure for military buyers (probably 80's or possibly early 90's):

CJArmyP1.jpg

CJArmyP2.jpg

CJArmyP3.jpg

CJArmyP4.jpg

A long wheelbase variant:

3BCommanderBrochure_zpsixusswu0.jpg

3BCommanderBrochure2_zpsu6o0ykdx.jpg

The "101 Wagonette", which was more or less a stretched CJ3b with a 4-door closed body.

Wagonette101.jpg

The NC665 was an early pickup, which came from the factory with a soft top.

NC665a.jpg

NC665b.jpg

Roplas made a hardtop for it.

RoplasRange2.jpg

More from Roplas:

RoplasRange1.jpg

RoplasRange2.jpg

RoplasRanger.jpg

Mahindra even made some with square headlights...

CJ3SquareHeadlights.jpg

For your enjoyment... a few photos I've taken in India and some brochures from my collection. There were many variants of the CJ3b produced by Mahindra, some a shown here. I've got several hundred more Mahindra photos and brochures (not all CJ3b variants) but I never thought they'd get much interest in this forum so I haven't posted them here.

Spotted this one in Udaipur:

View attachment 345420

View attachment 345421

This one was parked outside the Mehrangarh Fort in Jodhpur:

View attachment 345422

There are many CJ3b variants still in police service in India:

View attachment 345423

They're common still in rural tax service in Rajasthan:

View attachment 345424

A few more Major/CJ-4 examples (the Mahindra long wheelbase version of the CJ-3b went by several names), most of these I spotted in rural taxi service in Rajasthan. Notice all of them have roof racks above the soft tops.

View attachment 345425

These next ones I spotted in Sawai Mahdopur. Check the rack on the soft top and the rack over the windshield:

View attachment 345426

This one also has the windshield rack and a different soft top rack:

View attachment 345427

While we're in Sawai Mahdopur, here's an alternative mode of transportation common in Rajasthan (back to camels for a moment...).

View attachment 345428

This one belongs to a hotel near the Kumbhalgarh Fort.

View attachment 345429

The interior:

View attachment 345430

Kumbalgarh Fort: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbhalgarh

View attachment 345431

One in rural taxi service outside of Udaipur:

View attachment 345432

View attachment 345433

Another one.

View attachment 345434

Both have large roof racks over the soft top (mounted through holes in the canvas) and ample ladders.

We stayed at a hotel in Bikaner in 2018 that had a pair of ex-Indian Army CJ3B's on display in the forecourt:

View attachment 345435

The data plate from one of them - you'll see it's a 1981 (!) CJ-3b:

View attachment 345436

Soft top details - roll-up windows! :)

View attachment 345437

A brochure for military buyers (probably 80's or possibly early 90's):

View attachment 345438

View attachment 345439

View attachment 345440

View attachment 345441

A long wheelbase variant:

View attachment 345442

View attachment 345443

The "101 Wagonette", which was more or less a stretched CJ3b with a 4-door closed body.

View attachment 345444

The NC665 was an early pickup, which came from the factory with a soft top.

View attachment 345445

View attachment 345446

Roplas made a hardtop for it.

View attachment 345447

More from Roplas:

View attachment 345448

View attachment 345449

View attachment 345450

Mahindra even made some with square headlights...

View attachment 345451

Thanks for the photos. It's amazing how long they kept making them. I saw a couple in my very short trip back home earlier in April this year.

This is one of those items that has been on my want list for a long time. Good on you for getting it and checking one off your own bucket lists. Having one that's rust free is a huge plus!

I'll look forward to your next "It just happened!" thread 🙂

Reactions: Irun
I had wanted a CJ for a long time. I love the styling & that huge speedo gauge... But after actually owning one I grew to hate it. You know what they say: no matter how hot the chick is, some dude somewhere is sick and tired of her crap.

Enjoy your new toy, but it's TJs for me.

Reactions: psrivats
It's surprisingly hard to find photos of a TJ and CJ-3B side by side ... I managed to two (!) photos.

Childers64TJCJ3B.jpg

CJ3BandTJ2.jpeg

An interesting counterpart to the first photo above is the comparison of a JL next to a TJ that someone posted a couple years ago.

28378009_10100260324999075_539521467329311204_n.jpg