I can’t believe people would pay $50k for JL Sahara

Apparition

Moab JuneFest 2024
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
So I have a JL Sahara as a loaner while my truck gets tinted and ceramicked.

I can’t believe how cheap it feels compared to the other cars we have. It’s noisy as hell for a 20/21.

I will say once you get it revved up it seems to be pretty quick.

Still for the price, I think there are much better SUV’s out there.

Reactions: Rick Flair and 5632
I have said on a number of occasions that I would never buy a modern FCA vehicle. I feel they are built pretty poorly and have a lot of little issues especially when compared to better vehicles on the market (i.e. Honda, Toyota, etc.).

Of course those companies don't make anything "fun", so I get why people do buy them.

Still, I'll drop 50k on mods for a TJ but I will not spend 50k on some new one, that's for sure.

I feel the same way @Chris . I’d rather dump 40k into my TJ and daily drive that. Just the other morning a guy in a JL asked my if my Jeep leaks when it rains (it doesn’t at all). His 2020 JL with a soft top leaks like a sieve he said. It seems to be a common problem with the JLs.

I feel the same way @Chris . I’d rather dump 40k into my TJ and daily drive that. Just the other morning a guy in a JL asked my if my Jeep leaks when it rains (it doesn’t at all). His 2020 JL with a soft top leaks like a sieve he said. It seems to be a common problem with the JLs.

Yep, and with a 50k JL I know I would end up putting another 30-40k into it, at which point it offers no real advantage over the TJ except maybe it drives better since it's newer.

Not to mention I'm not too keen on doing damage to a nice, new car.

I guess I shouldn’t have complained about the JL, I just looked up one of the cars these guys had worked on. A Bugatti Divo, starts just under six million. You could buy a lot of cars (or houses) for that price.

I have said on a number of occasions that I would never buy a modern FCA vehicle. I feel they are built pretty poorly and have a lot of little issues especially when compared to better vehicles on the market (i.e. Honda, Toyota, etc.).
Prior to COVID, and I'm sure back to it soon, I traveled a bunch for work. Usually every other week I couple a flight or two with a few hundred miles on the road. For the past couple years, Hertz sends me an annual summary with number of miles driven and number of rentals. On the average year, I'm at ~60 rentals and "enough miles driven to go from Florida to Alaska XX number of times" (or whatever cutesy thing Hertz throws in there). I've driven over 200 cars and probably 100,000+ miles since taking my new role in 2015. I've had everything from bare bones Kia SUVs to Escalades and Camrys to AMG SL 55 drop tops. I even had a Hellcat Charger one time (though it was in LAX, so not as fun as it could have been)

When I considered buying a new vehicle for myself just prior to COVID hitting - oddly enough, only FCA vehicles were on my list (a Power Wagon actually was what I was looking at, but a Rebel was a back up). I never thought I'd say that, but of all the newer cars I get to drive, FCA has been the only one to impress me. When my wife got rear-ended last year, I suggested the Grand Cherokee Limited, knowing that is was probably the only SUV she'd ever get, and she's loved it...

Yep, and with a 50k JL I know I would end up putting another 30-40k into it, at which point it offers no real advantage over the TJ except maybe it drives better since it's newer.

Not to mention I'm not too keen on doing damage to a nice, new car.
The one advantage is that it won't sound like a tractor anymore :) Though I don't know if sounding like a minivan is any better :ROFLMAO:

I was never impressed by the JKU, including when I first went to test-drive one back in 2007 when I was looking to buy a new one (but ended up getting a V8 4Runner). The JLU on the other hand was impressive, especially when I had my first JLU rental right after a JKU rental. It was the turbo 4-cyl version and it legitimately shocked me (again, compared to the JKU). Power, handling, HVN reduction, ergonomics (except that damn 4x4 shifter location), and fit and finish were much, much better than the JKU.

Agreed though - I would never buy a new Jeep to go beat on in the rocks... most aren't doing that (I would argue that even most TJ owners aren't either).

They are expensive for one reason. Jeep is foreign owned and they want your American money. And we are giving it to them.
They're expensive because that's what the market will bear. Why sell something for less (from a capitalism-centric mindset)?

I don't think they are as highly priced as they appear. I mean, have you priced a decently equipped sedan lately? You're talking high $20s for a compact, $30's for a decent sedan, low to mid $40's for an AWD family wagon, low $50s for a halfway respectable SUV, and near $60s for decently equipped 4x4 pickup. Prices in general have gotten insane lately but I don't think a modestly equipped Sahara is really high compared to similar rigs. Throw in the residual/resale values, solid axle w/on frame construction, aftermarket support, and removable doors + convertible tops, it's easy to see why they command their sale prices.

Reactions: D M
Prior to COVID, and I'm sure back to it soon, I traveled a bunch for work. Usually every other week I couple a flight or two with a few hundred miles on the road. For the past couple years, Hertz sends me an annual summary with number of miles driven and number of rentals. On the average year, I'm at ~60 rentals and "enough miles driven to go from Florida to Alaska XX number of times" (or whatever cutesy thing Hertz throws in there). I've driven over 200 cars and probably 100,000+ miles since taking my new role in 2015. I've had everything from bare bones Kia SUVs to Escalades and Camrys to AMG SL 55 drop tops. I even had a Hellcat Charger one time (though it was in LAX, so not as fun as it could have been)

When I considered buying a new vehicle for myself just prior to COVID hitting - oddly enough, only FCA vehicles were on my list (a Power Wagon actually was what I was looking at, but a Rebel was a back up). I never thought I'd say that, but of all the newer cars I get to drive, FCA has been the only one to impress me. When my wife got rear-ended last year, I suggested the Grand Cherokee Limited, knowing that is was probably the only SUV she'd ever get, and she's loved it...

The one advantage is that it won't sound like a tractor anymore :) Though I don't know if sounding like a minivan is any better :ROFLMAO:

I was never impressed by the JKU, including when I first went to test-drive one back in 2007 when I was looking to buy a new one (but ended up getting a V8 4Runner). The JLU on the other hand was impressive, especially when I had my first JLU rental right after a JKU rental. It was the turbo 4-cyl version and it legitimately shocked me (again, compared to the JKU). Power, handling, HVN reduction, ergonomics (except that damn 4x4 shifter location), and fit and finish were much, much better than the JKU.

Agreed though - I would never buy a new Jeep to go beat on in the rocks... most aren't doing that (I would argue that even most TJ owners aren't either).

They're expensive because that's what the market will bear. Why sell something for less (from a capitalism-centric mindset)?

I don't think they are as highly priced as they appear. I mean, have you priced a decently equipped sedan lately? You're talking high $20s for a compact, $30's for a decent sedan, low to mid $40's for an AWD family wagon, low $50s for a halfway respectable SUV, and near $60s for decently equipped 4x4 pickup. Prices in general have gotten insane lately but I don't think a modestly equipped Sahara is really high compared to similar rigs. Throw in the residual/resale values, solid axle w/on frame construction, aftermarket support, and removable doors + convertible tops, it's easy to see why they command their sale prices.
For the same price though you could get a limited explorer which is leaps and bounds better than this JL Sahara. I’m sure the JL is better off-road but that’s not what the majority of them are used for.

Based on this JL I fully expect the Bronco to sell well.

In all fairness to FCA, they have a very “fun” lineup with all their Hellcat models. While a Toyota may be a very conservative and reliable choice, they also make nothing but boring vehicles. The Supra doesn’t count either since that’s just a rebadged BMW.

For the same price though you could get a limited explorer which is leaps and bounds better than this JL Sahara. I’m sure the JL is better off-road but that’s not what the majority of them are used for.

Based on this JL I fully expect the Bronco to sell well.
I have a 2014 limited explorer and hate it. Nice on the open road but blows everywhere else.

I should’ve never opened this thread! Lol. I’m looking for a JLU Sahara to use as my daily driver. It‘s what I want and you aren’t going to change my mind! Key word is *want*. i love the look and want to keep the miles off of the TJ. I probably won’t pull the trigger until the ‘22 models come out and then buy a used ‘19-21.

p.s., WTF is FCA?

Reactions: Apparition
I should’ve never opened this thread! Lol. I’m looking for a JLU Sahara to use as my daily driver. It‘s what I want and you aren’t going to change my mind! Key word is *want*. i love the look and want to keep the miles off of the TJ. I probably won’t pull the trigger until the ‘22 models come out and then buy a used ‘19-21.

p.s., WTF is FCA?
Fiat-Chrysler-America - good move buying lightly used

We love our 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 3.6 (I wanted the 5.7 but wife said no). Its her car and its been a great vacation car, decent on fuel and awesome in bad weather. The new model coming out is butt ugly though. Looks like a re-bumpered Durango. She is looking at JL's now. New car for her in the next year or so. Hers has about 67k on it and has been almost trouble free aside from a set of tires and a new steering rack under warranty. Oil changes and gas and it just goes.

Reactions: pc1p
We love our 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited with the 3.6 (I wanted the 5.7 but wife said no). Its her car and its been a great vacation car, decent on fuel and awesome in bad weather. The new model coming out is butt ugly though. Looks like a re-bumpered Durango. She is looking at JL's now. New car for her in the next year or so. Hers has about 67k on it and has been almost trouble free aside from a set of tires and a new steering rack under warranty. Oil changes and gas and it just goes.
I think the Cherokee’s and Rams are a better build.

p.s., WTF is FCA?
If it’s what you like get one. Just feels more like 2007 than 2021 to me.