We can all relate to this

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
C2F8EAF4-86E2-4369-AA16-D045E76C1B80.jpeg

LOL...I love that. I just had this happen when a guy low balled me on my XJ. I was asking $2950, and he offered $2000. I never take an offer sight unseen seriously, but I told the guy "Probably not but bring some cash and try negotiating."

I don't know what it is with these people. They are like "offer cowboys" or something. It's one of the most annoying things about trying to sell a vehicle these days.

I mostly attribute this to the smartphone. Lots of stuff out there to view for sale with a couple of clicks. Quick lowball offer, whats it hurt to try attitude.

Maybe its our age? We used to have to actually call about an item in the newspaper and heaven forbid TALK to them.

I view most inquiries on my marketplace/craigslist ads as lookyloos, unless they call and we talk prior to initial meeting.

Reactions: Chris and RobertJ
It makes sense what you say, and I'm sure our age comes into play. You had to build up a little nerve and be serious before you actually called someone. A couple clicks on the phone, what's to lose? I will say, if someone calls me I take them much more seriously and will devote more time to them than via text.

Reactions: Chris and tworley
I blame latest TV shows. They make this 30 second deals on TV and the seller is asking for 15k but the buyer deals his way into 7.5k, because why else would he have a tv show?

My wife and I have been selling a few things lately and every single item there has been someone who offers 50% less or more. "Cash in hand I can get it now".

I love when I get texts just to say that I'm "asking too much and I won't ever get anything close to it". Not an offer mind you, just a reminder that my car is shitty and I'm not asking a realistic amount

Reactions: RobertJ
I currently have a car for sale on Cars.com and Craigslist. I constantly get requests for Vehicle History Reports, always from a different VHR site, all that you have to pay for. I have in my add, a link to a VHR, but they demand that I get one from their site. They often state that their lender requires a report from this site. I always respond, "no, if you want a report from one other than what I have linked, that report, and purchase thereof is on you". Everyone of them, so far, I have never heard from again.
Personally, I think it is just a scam to get people to go to their site and pay.

My favorite is the incrementally decreasing bids where, I assume, the hope is that you'll make an irrational decision to 'stop the bleeding' and accept before they go any lower. I first noticed it when selling my quad a couple years back on FB marketplace and Offer Up.

Quad was listed for $5200. I had some doorknob offer $4800 (first contact, no interaction and sight unseen, of course), then 5 minutes later follow up with 'now I will pay you $4500', then 5 minutes later 'now I will pay you $4000'. I countered back with the listing price of $5200 and 2 minutes later followed it up with 'now I will sell it to you for $5600', followed 2 minutes later by 'now I will sell it to you for $6000'. No further responses from said knucklehead.

My story is the opposite, most guys offer a low ball but if you accept it they think the game is still on and offer even less.

I sold my YJ, asking $3500. Guy said $3000? As I was thinking, he said I'll write the cheque right now, DEAL. SOLD.

Technically, once you accept the offer, you have a contract.

I was selling a 78 Corvette years ago for something like 5 grand...and this couple comes out to see it and try to double team me, she is ranting that the paint is not perfect "it is a corvette the paint should be perfect" I tell her again I am asking 5 grand not 15. Then the husband say will you take $2500, I said give me 2 hours and I will have the motor and trans pulled and you can have it for 2500...they bought it at 5 grand!

• Haha
Reactions: Chris
I like when they add "cash", like "$8 cash!", no shit, did you think I was going to accept wampum? Did those 4-letters suddenly make the low offer super valuable?

• Haha
Reactions: Hook_62